Discussion Will 850 watt antec HCG extreme be enough to power a ryzen 9 3900 XT and RTX 3080?

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Hi I'm from India, I've ordered an antec 1000 watt psu from my local dealer and it turns out it's out of stock, now they've offered me a 850 watt antec HCG extreme fully modular psu instead, will 850 watts be enough for a ryzen 9 3900 XT and a RTX 3080? The RTX is also an Inno3D dual fan BTW that requires only two 8 pins, here's my rig I'm building but haven't got yet.

Ryzen 9 3900 XT
RTX 3080 inno3D dual fan
32 gb ram 3600 MHz gskill
360 mm cooler deepcool
X570 aorus pro WiFi
1tb nvme m.2 and 2tb HDD
240 Hz 27 inch monitor + 144 Hz 27 inch monitor (I'll only use one, the other is a backup monitor)

Will 850 watts be enough to power this thing without crashing or exploding? Please reply guys and give me advice!

That's plenty for your build... you'll even have plenty of headroom to spare. The Antec HCG Extreme is a really great quality PSU.
Nice choice.

Will 850 watts be enough to power this thing without crashing or exploding?

Even remotely decent PSUs won't explode even if more power than rated is drawn... OPP(over power protection) or OCP(over current protection) will kick in automatically shutting down the PSU. Other protections might be tripped before that thoug, like OTP(over temperature protection) if the internal components of the PSU get too hot.

Last edited:

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
That's plenty for your build... you'll even have plenty of headroom to spare. The Antec HCG Extreme is a really great quality PSU.
Nice choice.

Even remotely decent PSUs won't explode even if more power than rated is drawn... OPP(over power protection) will kick in(usually at 110-120%) automatically shutting down the PSU.

Hi thanks for replying sir, anyways is 850 watt PSU gold really enough? I have no intention of overclocking, it's an antec high current Gamer gold extreme? Some videos on youtube advise a 1000 watt, I can afford a 1000 watt but the problem is there's no stock of such big PSUs in India, I'm really anxious that the 850 watt gold psu might not be enough, convince me sir!

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Nice choice.

Even remotely decent PSUs won't explode even if more power than rated is drawn... OPP(over power protection) will kick in(usually at 110-120%) automatically shutting down the PSU.

Oh btw sir the RTX 3080 draws around 350 watts and I don't know about the cpu though, also if I do decide to overclock my ryzen 9 3900 XT and to lets say 4.9 GHz will 850 watts be enough? I know you've told me it won't explode since u say there's plenty of headroom, I don't want a crash either, I can't find a 1000 watt either there are no stocks here in India, I'm really anxious.

In a worst case scenario:
RTX 3080 - ~400W
3900XT - ~150W

Add another 100W for the rest... you're looking at 650W in the worst possible case. You won't ever draw that much power when gaming and even in productivity workloads.

You can't OC the 3900XT to 4.9 GHz(unless you're doing liquid nitrogen)... no way. There's no point in OCing your CPU with the new Ryzen 3000 series... just enable PBO and it'll OC by itself.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
That system would easily run on a good quality 750w let alone 850w.

Hi sir I see, I have no Intention of overclocking but let's say I decide to do that, will an 850 gold psu be able to power an overclocked 3900 XT to 4.9 GHz and RTX 3080? The probl
That system would easily run on a good quality 750w let alone 850w.

So you're saying 850 watts is enough? I've seen some articles online and videos that say an RTX 3080 with an i9 or 3900XT and above require 1000 watt? Are they trying to mislead the readers?

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
In a worst case scenario:
RTX 3080 - ~400W
3900XT - ~150W

Add another 100W for the rest... you're looking at 650W in the worst possible case. You won't ever draw that much power when gaming and even in productivity workloads.

You can't OC the 3900XT to 4.9 GHz... no way. There's no point in OCing your CPU with the new Ryzen 3000 series... just enable PBO and it'll OC by itself.

Thanks sir, so I'm safe right? 850 watts is enough? I have no intention of overclocking the cpu I'll enable settings in bios and let it oc itself, RTX 3080 I will overclock just for benchmarking purposes, anyways why are sites and YouTube all telling the viewers u need a 1000 watt? Even asus recommends a 1000 watt for a 3080 paired with a ryzen 9 or Intel i9, u can google it, I don't wanna post external links and disrespect the community who are helping me..

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Please reply friends, can u put a nail In the coffin and confirm 850 watts is really enough? Once u confirm I'll mark this as solved, sorry for repeating I have anxiety and OCD. 😥

Thanks sir, so I'm safe right? 850 watts is enough? I have no intention of overclocking the cpu I'll enable settings in bios and let it oc itself, RTX 3080 I will overclock just for benchmarking purposes, anyways why are sites and YouTube all telling the viewers u need a 1000 watt? Even asus recommends a 1000 watt for a 3080 paired with a ryzen 9 or Intel i9, u can google it, I don't wanna post external links and disrespect the community who are helping me..

Yes it is more than enough... I've stated above why.
I don't know from where you're getting those recommendations, but if you really want reassurance here:

Take a look at the full specs... even Nvidia recommends a 750W PSU and that's made with the I9 10900K.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble