Question Will downclocked memory also lower CL timings? Acer Aspire 7

Ivan_Buki

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2017
Hello,

I have and Acer Aspire 7 A715 72G laptop with Intel HM370 chipset from 2019 which can run max 2666MHz which is usually at CL19.
I found a great deal on 2 ddr4 SODIMM kits : Kingston Fury Impact 3200MHz CL20 2x8GB and G.Skill RipJaws 3200MHz CL22 ex8GB.

First, would it even work? I am 90% sure it should but I don't have a stick to test it out and most people said that my bios should be smart enough to do it if RAM allows it.

After downclock to 2666MHz, will the BIOS also lower their cas latency? Will the dual channel work at 2666 frequency for those RAM modules? That part is important. Should I avoid the Fury or Rip Jaws because of their XMP profiles or that shouldn't cause issues. I can't change my memory speed in BIOS.

I can't find complete JEDEC tables for these memories so I don't know or have experience if they have the capability to downclock so I am looking for somebody more experienced.

Thank you all for helping

Lutfij

Titan
Kingston Fury Impact 3200MHz CL20 2x8GB and G.Skill RipJaws 3200MHz CL22 ex8GB.
Pass on the SKU to the ram kit, it should have a spec sheet that should tell you what the latencies are at DDR4-2666MHz.

After downclock to 2666MHz, will the BIOS also lower their cas latency?
Usually, yes, unless the rams are really high pedigree and have the same tight latencies at lower clocks, which is impossible when you look into Kingston kits.

Anything you throw at your laptop will run at DDR4-2666MHz, so best look for ram kits sold at that speed with tight latencies, kits that are of higher frequency will have laxed timings at lower frequencies.

Ivan_Buki

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2017
Kingston Fury Impact 3200MHz CL20 2x8GB and G.Skill RipJaws 3200MHz CL22 ex8GB.
Pass on the SKU to the ram kit, it should have a spec sheet that should tell you what the latencies are at DDR4-2666MHz.

After downclock to 2666MHz, will the BIOS also lower their cas latency?
Usually, yes, unless the rams are really high pedigree and have the same tight latencies at lower clocks, which is impossible when you look into Kingston kits.

Anything you throw at your laptop will run at DDR4-2666MHz, so best look for ram kits sold at that speed with tight latencies, kits that are of higher frequency will have laxed timings at lower frequencies.
The SKU for the Kingstone is KF432S20IBK2/16 and the spec sheet is lacking such information, they only show top speeds. They only say "
The PnP feature offers a range of speed and timing options to support
the widest variety of processors and chipsets. Your maximum speed will
be determined by your BIOS."
So I suppose it should be ok.

The G.Skill one 4-3200C22D-16GRS has no detailed specs either or any useful info about speeds or timings for 2666MHz.

I shall then probably take the Fury, they turn out to be similary priced, but if the timings don't lower themselves, the Fury has the lowest of the two.
RipJaws are about 5 euros cheaper but because of lack of information the 5 euro difference is not such a problem at this point. The seller of Fury might let me return the stick if they are not behaving how I wan them to.

I shall add to this discussion if something goes wrong as a warning for somebody else who might be reading.

Thank you for your insight, it helped a lot.
Best regards

Reactions: 35below0