Mar 3, 2022
I have a Lenovo thinkcentre M58 type 6138 (tower version) and I have replaced the previous processor with a Q9550 and added a GT 730 Graphics card. I want to play games like counter strike global offensive but I'm afraid that it will blow up. The PSU is 280W. Thank you

Solution
I would have some concern about the PSU in a 10 year old PC......regardless of the graphics card or what games I wanted to play.

On the other hand, the entire PC has little value, so it's difficult to recommend that you spend more money on it....rather than starting over.

A new decent power supply is probably going to cost 60 dollars on up.

If it did "blow up", how big of a disaster would that be and what would you do? Would you lose your job?

If the PC is purely for entertainment, you might want to just go ahead with your plans, realizing it could drop dead at any time regardless of what you do.
That's a low level graphics card, probably under 50 watts if Google can be believed.

The TDP on that CPU is 95 watts.

If your PSU was fairly new and high quality, you might be OK.....but I have no idea about your specific PSU or how much it has deteriorated over time.

Mar 3, 2022
That's a low level graphics card, probably under 50 watts if Google can be believed.

The TDP on that CPU is 95 watts.

If your PSU was fairly new and high quality, you might be OK.....but I have no idea about your specific PSU or how much it has deteriorated over time.
Oh hi thanks for replying. I got this computer from a second hand store. Probably a decade old.

I would have some concern about the PSU in a 10 year old PC......regardless of the graphics card or what games I wanted to play.

On the other hand, the entire PC has little value, so it's difficult to recommend that you spend more money on it....rather than starting over.

A new decent power supply is probably going to cost 60 dollars on up.

If it did "blow up", how big of a disaster would that be and what would you do? Would you lose your job?

If the PC is purely for entertainment, you might want to just go ahead with your plans, realizing it could drop dead at any time regardless of what you do.

Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree with points Lafong made. The PSUs recommended for a GT 730 is 200W. The CPU might use some 70-80W, (or maybe around 90-100W of that?) under load.

A decade old PSU (like all other PSUs that degrade and lose some of their nominal capacity each year have definitely lost some of it's output capacity and also capacity to handle transients, inrush current etc (even if unused for long periods of time during said decade).

Assuming that your PSU could handle 280W when in its prime now it's most likely not good enough to do that.

Apart from all this I wouldn't really use a decade-old PSU for anything. Time to retire the veteran before it blows your components up or (hopefully not) start a fire.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Not that i disagree with the rest that is said here, but this is system wattage. The GT 730 would never use 200watts on it's own.
Yes , exactly. I meant 'a system' with a GT 730. That's why I said The CPU might use some 70-80W, (or maybe around 90-100W of that?) under load. "Of that "being of that 200W". I shoud have said it explicitly. Thanks for mentioning that and so it's clarified for posterity.

Reactions: Vic 40