Basht

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
I want to buy two automatic voltage regulator (AVR) 2.4KVA - 2.4 Kw to protect the following UPS No-Breaks:
One that has the following input specs in it's label: 220V/18A=3960W
Another one that has this input specs in it's label: 120V/24A=2880W

The question is: If I buy an automatic voltage regulator that says 2400W to protect this kind of equipment, will the voltage regulator be enough?
Do I have to get an even bigger regulator or would even a smaller one work.

Solution
Ahh,

You actually need an AVR that is a bit larger than the UPS; the AVR has to support the maximum draw from the UPS, which is when it is supplying a full load plus re-charging its batteries after an outage plus some to account for the inefficiency of the UPS.

The UPS manufacturer should be able to tell you the UPS's maximum wattage/VA draw.
Most quality UPSes have voltage regulation built in - key words to look for are "line interactive" or "double conversion".

I've seen AVR manufacturers suggesting 'protecting' UPSes with a AVRs, but I"ve never seen it done in real life.

What are the maufacturer and model numbers of your UPSes?

Basht

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
Most quality UPSes have voltage regulation built in - key words to look for are "line interactive" or "double conversion".

I've seen AVR manufacturers suggesting 'protecting' UPSes with a AVRs, but I"ve never seen it done in real life.

What are the maufacturer and model numbers of your UPSes?
  • Eaton 9130 Modelo PW9139L3000T-XL
  • 120V/24A=2880W

• Fruk01 Modelo 3000HV
  • 220V/18A=3960W
I know these have a built in regulator... but these UPS are provided by a provider to protect some expensive equipment and they're complaining that their UPS are getting burned because of voltage variations, I just wanna know a bit more about the theory, do 2400 W regulators work with 3960W equipment for example? What is the wattage on a regulator? Is it the output i can manage? Is it what the rgulator itself consumes? If the problem is the electrical installation will installing more regulators be a fix or am I adding even more energy consumption to it?

Ahh,

You actually need an AVR that is a bit larger than the UPS; the AVR has to support the maximum draw from the UPS, which is when it is supplying a full load plus re-charging its batteries after an outage plus some to account for the inefficiency of the UPS.

The UPS manufacturer should be able to tell you the UPS's maximum wattage/VA draw.

Solution