[SOLVED] Will this upgrade help me run BF1 MP smoothly?

deepak4rocks

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hello TH,
I have the below set-up for more than 5 years.
  1. Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
  2. 2x4GB Kinston HyperX DDR3 RAM
  3. ASUS Strix GTX 970 4GB GPU &
  4. other parts with decent performance (PSU, SSD, Monitor etc.)
I have received a free copy of BF1 from a friend during lockdown. I wanted to play the game so badly. I previously ran BF4 on my current setup for years without any problem. I decided to upgrade just the CPU for now, since it is obvious that this is the primary bottleneck on my game performance. I looked up on Amazon and found an Amazon i5-4590 at a sweet price. My question is, if I switch from 3240 to 4590, will I get a smooth gameplay? I have no intention of upgrading my whole set-up, at least not for another year. Can I get nice gameplay with the new config.?

Solution
Motherboard is ASUS H81M PRO. I run on stock cooler. I have no plans to OC.
You are going to want to buy a better CPU cooler if you upgrade to an i5/i7 to prevent thermal throttling if you were using the stock cooler. A 90/92mm or 120mm tower cooler will be enough. Two of the best cheapest options for a 120mm tower cooler would be the Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 or Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo at $20-35. The Hyper 212 LED and Black Edition are newer and have far easier mounting methods than the 212 Evo and are only slightly more expensive. The Black Edition RGB has a faster fan then the regular Black Edition.
Battlefield 1 multiplayer is extremely CPU heavy and even these older Core i5s with 4 cores and 4 threads kind of struggled with it. Ideally you'd want one of the 4th generation i7s if you wanted a drop-in upgrade, but those still tend to be pricey. The Core i5 will help a fair bit but you might not hit 60FPS at all times if you play on a lot of 64 player matches.

Understood. But the I7s are hard to obtain.

Assuming that I bought an i7, would I get to play on high settings on a normal 60 Hz monitor?
What is your motherboard model? Is it a branded prebuilt system and if so, what model? You likely will need to install a better CPU cooler to run an i5 or i7, but it may not fit if the motherboard does not have standard mounting holes. BF1 should run at around 80-100fps or more with any desktop haswell i7 CPU. The GPU is not quite as important as having 8 CPU threads and fast memory when playing Frostbite engine games.

deepak4rocks

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
What is your motherboard model? Is it a branded prebuilt system and if so, what model? You likely will need to install a better CPU cooler to run an i5 or i7, but it may not fit if the motherboard does not have standard mounting holes. BF1 should run at around 80-100fps or more with any desktop haswell i7 CPU. The GPU is not quite as important as having 8 CPU threads and fast memory when playing Frostbite engine games.
Motherboard is ASUS H81M PRO. I run on stock cooler. I have no plans to OC. Since both are 1150 socket CPUs, I will have no prob using the old fan on the new CPU.

Reg. CPU, I found a used 4770 at a good price. So, what can I expect from this new config. ?

Motherboard is ASUS H81M PRO. I run on stock cooler. I have no plans to OC.
You are going to want to buy a better CPU cooler if you upgrade to an i5/i7 to prevent thermal throttling if you were using the stock cooler. A 90/92mm or 120mm tower cooler will be enough. Two of the best cheapest options for a 120mm tower cooler would be the Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 or Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo at $20-35. The Hyper 212 LED and Black Edition are newer and have far easier mounting methods than the 212 Evo and are only slightly more expensive. The Black Edition RGB has a faster fan then the regular Black Edition.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS