[SOLVED] Win10 failing to recognise GPU/PCI device after fresh install and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2020
Hi,
Just did a fresh install and formatting of my PC after years of successful running. Now my 2080 Super isnt being detected by device manager in Win10. The PCI is listed under "Other Devices" and windows fails to find/update any drivers associated with this. Under "Display Adapter" it says the default after a fresh install called Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Things I've tried so far:
  • Installing drivers through Geforce - says the hardware is not compatible.
  • Force updating windows through update manager, restarting multiple times to ensure they've applied and to register any new ones. Nothing changes, still displays MBDA.
  • Flashing my BIOS to the latest update.
  • Installing a new chipset for my motherboard.
  • Letting windows search for the latest PCI and MBDA drivers.
As you might guess, non of the above has resolved the issue. Specs:
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390
  • GPU: Nvidia 2080 S
  • CPU: i7-9700K
  • RAM: 32GB
Any help would be really appreciated as this has really left me clueless.

Last edited:

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
Hi,
Just did a fresh install and formatting of my PC after years of successful running. Now my 2080 Super isnt being detected by device manager in Win10. The PCI is listed under "Other Devices" and windows fails to find/update any drivers associated with this. Under "Display Adapter" it says the default after a fresh install called Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Things I've tried so far:
  • Installing drivers through Geforce - says the hardware is not compatible.
  • Force updating windows through update manager, restarting multiple times to ensure they've applied and to register any new ones. Nothing changes, still displays MBDA.
  • Flashing my BIOS to the latest update.
  • Installing a new chipset for my motherboard.
  • Letting windows search for the latest PCI and MBDA drivers.
As you might guess, non of the above has resolved the issue. Specs:
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390
  • GPU: Nvidia 2080 S
  • CPU: i7-9700K
  • RAM: 32GB
Any help would be really appreciated as this has really left me clueless.
It sounds like an issue with the actual hardware connection. Have you tried reseating the GPU on your board? Also how long have you had the 2080 Super?

Status
Not open for further replies.