DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
I've been having problems with my pc freezing right after bios when the Windows logo pops up then the screen goes black. nothing is responsive including the reset button and the power button do nothing when it happens. only want to restart the pc is by the power supply switch. could this be a problem with the MOBO?

PC specs:
Processor - AMD Ryzen9 5900x
Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX
Graphics Card - AMD PowerColor RX 6950XT Red Devil
RAM - 32GB Vengeance RGB pro
Power Supply - 1000watt EVGA SuperNOVA G5
Motherboard - ASRock X370 Taichi (Bios P7.30)

ive been dealing with this for about 6 months and it seems like it keeps getting worse and worse and happening more often started off doing it once every few weeks and then a few times a week and now it happens every day when i first boot my PC up (after i flip the PSU switch sometimes it does it again and sometimes it boots up normally)
the most recent upgrade ive done to my PC was put in the 5900X (updated the bios in order according to asrock) and i swapped out the ram with RGB Corsair ram about a year ago everything else has been the same.
any one know what would be causing this problem? only thing i can think of is something maybe going out on the mobo?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you turned off fast startup?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

that might tell us if its windows or hardware to blame. If that helps, it could be an old driver that doesn't play nice with the power modes in windows.

what storage do you have? since its going blank at start, might be the drive isn't being found consistently

Corsair only suggests a 750 or 1000w PSU for that card so it shouldn't be power draw, I just thought I would check. I have a Red Devil 7900xt myself.

Last edited:

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
Yeah I tried turning off fast start up (still off) and it’s still giving me problems
For storage I’ve got a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 for my OS and programs and a 16tb HDD for storage (I did disable the 16tb HDD to boot from in the BIOS so the M.2 is the only option
When I can get windows to boot properly I have no issue after boot. No blue screens or anything out of the ordinary.
I’ve tried having windows check the integrity of the OS files and all those are good and I’ve also made a flash drive with windows 10 on it to run the repair and everything seems to check out.

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
did you have the issue with the old cpu also find a way to test this 15 t hdd .
I didn’t have this problem with the old CPU but also it didn’t happen right after I installed it it was a few months after when it started
I know my mobo I have originally didn’t support the 5900x cpu but with a bios update it became supported.
As for testing the 16tb HDD is there a way I can test it like with a program or something? All that’s mainly on that drive is games, photos and videos

I didn’t have this problem with the old CPU but also it didn’t happen right after I installed it it was a few months after when it started
I know my mobo I have originally didn’t support the 5900x cpu but with a bios update it became supported.
As for testing the 16tb HDD is there a way I can test it like with a program or something? All that’s mainly on that drive is games, photos and videos
Perhaps just unplug the hdd and see what effect that has.

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
I can try that.
something that just dawned on me is maybe it’s something as simple as the CMOS battery is about dead and it’s causing the first boot not to start up properly?
that motherboard is about 5 and a half or 6 years old and I haven’t changed it out before.

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
I replaced the battery yesterday and after it booted fine but after sitting all day it didn’t fix the issue.
Checked voltage of the new and old battery with multimeter, new was 3.34v and old was 3.39v
As for the hard drive it checks out even on crystal disk it says it’s at 100% good health
So still not sure what’s going on…

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
Where did you get bios 7.30?

i got them from asrocks site but going back they are no longer on there. went to my history and checked and download history and it says they were downloaded from asrocks site.. odd that they are no longer on there. i will be rolling them back. i did have this problem with windows locking up back on bios version 7.10 ( i flashed the 7.30 bios about a week ago hoping newer bios would help but they didnt)

i got them from asrocks site but going back they are no longer on there. went to my history and checked and download history and it says they were downloaded from asrocks site.. odd that they are no longer on there. i will be rolling them back. i did have this problem with windows locking up back on bios version 7.10 ( i flashed the 7.30 bios about a week ago hoping newer bios would help but they didnt)
Just to get it out of the mix you might want to unplug the hdd and see what the results are.

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
Just to get it out of the mix you might want to unplug the hdd and see what the results are.
i tried that earlier when i swapped out the motherboard batteries and it still locked up. ive thought maybe upgrading to windows 11 may reset alot of the boot registry if its something wrong with windows its self causing it. im not sure if it would or not