Status
Not open for further replies.

hchawk19

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Just curious, but I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the XBOX 360 controller will work on the PC. Is this true???

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, I have seen the box for the xbox 360 from Micro$oft and it says you can run it on a PC. Just get one that says it will work on a PC.

EDIT: I read on the Xbox site that it requires XP with SP2 so I guess I am out, I don't like SP2.

hchawk19

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I just looked Microsoft's website and they have a driver for the controller for XP. I just hope the driver is for all the 360 controllers to make them work on XP.

hchawk19

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, I have seen the box for the xbox 360 from Micro$oft and it says you can run it on a PC. Just get one that says it will work on a PC.

EDIT: I read on the Xbox site that it requires XP with SP2 so I guess I am out, I don't like SP2.

Microsoft's specs on the webpage for the controller says it only requires SP1 on XP. I don't think it would matter either way, as long as there is a driver for it.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I would make sure that the controller you get does say on it that it can work on a PC because I am not sure if the wireless controllers will. I don't know that for a fact.

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
i got a xbox 360; i tried the xbox 360 actual controller in PC.
it DOESN'T work!!
so.. i bought a xbox 360 controller for PC; which also works w/ Xbox 360.
wireless and/or wired xbox360 controller for xbox360 doesn't work!
get the one that says PC w/ red color prints

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
The wireless controller never works on the PC. Not yet anyway.

The wired controllers, however, do (in most cases). The difference between the "PC" and non-PC branded ones are the driver disk that comes supplied, and the extra few bucks added on for the priviledge. However, you can get the correct driver from Microsoft Update.

I would presume AlphaKP295's problems stem from expecting the wired controller to work without any drivers, and so failing, but then installing the drivers from the PC package, and so it worked then. If this was not the case, I apologise.

Synergy6

hchawk19

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I tried the controller today and with the drivers from Microsoft, it works well. The only problem is that I had no force feedback (rumble) when I play NFS: MW, or SC: CT, but I don't think SC supports it anyway. I hope Microsoft updates the drivers soon to support force feedback and the home circle button.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
like the previous poster mentioned. BOTH WIRED works on the PC. i have the WIRED Xbox one and it works for the pc. you just need the driver off the ms hardware site or run windows update.
if you tied your first xbox controller now that the drivers are installed, you will see that it will work all of sudden.

The WIRELESS DOES NOT work.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Nice to see that Microsoft are back in the PC gamepad market - my Sidewinder is still the most reliable piece of hardware I ever bought!

Can someone confirm - the Xbox360 controllers only have 2 shoulder buttons, unlike PS2's 4?

kappa10

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
right now as we speak my xbox 360 controller is a black wireless controller that i plugged in to my computers USB port through the charging Cord they give u that plugs into the controller.....all i did was turn on the controlll plug the cord into my controller then plug it into the USB port and my computer registered it and picked it up and asked me if i wanted to find a driver for it (which is the recommended way) clicked on that and in 5 minutes i am now talking to and tell you it does work with the drivers!

G

the xbox controller does work on pc not sure wot operating systems u have to have and i d advice not to use the microsoft controller programme as it doe not run on all games u can download a corperate controller like x padder and config the buttons yourself takes time but in the long run it is well worth it i use it all the time

loneninja

Distinguished
There is a usb wireless adapter you can pick up for about $20 to enable use of wireless xbox controllers on pc. Just thought I'd mention that since so many people said the wireless controllers don't work on PC.

internetwork

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
NEWS FLASH:
I have the wireless reciever (brand new from Amazon.com for $16 including shiipping charges and tax) and have tried it on every controller I can find. If you have the receiver then ANY controller should work. I even got my Rock Band wireless guitar and wireless drums to work. It is awesome.

I recommend againt the wireless reciever. The poblem is amps on the USB line: you get 500ma to play with for all USB devices.

The Wireless reciever uses 200, a M$ mouse uses 250. If you use a lot of USB devices, some of them may stop working.

I had a pair of USB headphones I could not use with the reciever. The minute I turned it on, the sound became extremely distorted until I restarted the entire system.

Just plug the controler into a USB port, and grab the driver.

standardnerd

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

i have the same exact thing hooked up (black wireless controller through charge and play kit) as kappa. However, i cannot get XP to recognize the controller in the game controllers screen and that is where it needs to be added to be used. I have installed the software from M$ and windows detects it when i plug it in and everything seems fine. But i can't add it to my game controllers and it does NOT work in any games i have. i assume if i get the wireless receiver it will work but honestly id prefer not to have to buy it if i dont need it. let me know if anyone else has similar problems. i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the software and drivers and im at a loss as what to do.

Vizone

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
the xbox controller does work on pc not sure wot operating systems u have to have and i d advice not to use the microsoft controller programme as it doe not run on all games u can download a corperate controller like x padder and config the buttons yourself takes time but in the long run it is well worth it i use it all the time

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit ULTIMATE on an Intel Core i7 build. I installed the drivers directly form the Microsoft site and installed problem free. However I am using a WIRELESS CONTROLLER (XBOX 360 - WHITE) and have the cord that can make it wired. The PC detects it but it cannot install it. Not sure what the problem is, can't seem to find a clear answer on whether or not the XBOX 360 controller has to be "BRANDED FOR PC" or not. So I'm all WTF and SOL on this one unless someone had a similar issue.

Thanx in advance,

Vizone

Vizone

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009

The drivers from Microsoft are not broken. It is a manufacturing date issue. At some point in time Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to integrate their 360 controllers with the PC. However the firmware installed on the controllers was designed to communicate with the XBOX360 only. So a new set of "revised" 360 controllers were released with optional "branding" on the packaging exclaiming, "MADE FOR WINDOWS". In actuality it is merely the same controller with a revised firmware allowing the controller to communicate both with the XBOX360 and the PC.

Research is key, problems get answers. So I'm trying to trade my controller for a wired one. GL to yall!

Vizone

eoinycroiny

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
hi im haveing trouble with my xbox controller and an lost too. its a black wireless controller with the play and charge kit. i first went to microsoft and downloaded the xbox accesories software and then conected my controller via the play and charge cable and windows atomatically detected and search for drivers. it picked up the controller as being connected via the play and charge kit and installed the appropriate drivers fine it would seem. however nothing i try to play it with will pick the controller up. if i go to device manager its listed and says its working fine but.... im running xp sp3 and im trying to use it to play frontlines fuel of war. iv read all the above but think iv missed something or just didnt understand. please can someone help me as iv already got 2 controllers and dont want to buy a wired controller or the wireless reciver as i dont think it will help, im sure iv just missed something in the setup phase.

eoinycroiny

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
note* when i connect the controller windows detects it and when i press the center button on the controller the green lights just flash and never settle to 1. also the xbox accesories software doesnt seem to detect it is conected???. could this be the issue?? im pritty sure this controller isnt the one the says its for windows but other forums iv visited say this should not matter as the windows compatable controllers are the same as the normal 360 ones but you just get a driver instalation disk extra thats all

Mistermh

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I just alked the question about the xbox360 game controller not being able to install the software from the installition disk that I got with the controller because it is not supporeted by windows service pack 3. I plugged the controller into the usb port and the found new hardware wizard came up and so I chose the top box (this timo only), then again I chose the top box that connects to the internet to search for drivers, and it searched for about 1 and half minutes and installed updated drivers for the xbox controller. I unplugged the controller and pulgged it back in to see if the wizard comes up and it did not appear. The top left light stays on. I hope that it works after I reboot my computer. Please, please, please work, I love my controller, and I miss playing my games. Now I have to get flight similator to working.

master5227

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i am having the same problem as the person above!!! i have the wireless one(white) and i have it connected and i installed it, it just wont operate??? its definetly installed i just cant use it

Status
Not open for further replies.