Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well MS told me mine was compatible pre the release of Windows 10, Now if I try the install after Nvidia notified MS they weren't going to support the Nvidia GTX 7600 and it told be that before I tried to do the upgrade.

If you made a restore to factory disk when you got the machine you can go back to Windows 7. If you have upgraded to Windows 10 your Windows 10 was activated and you can do a clean install with out having to purchase the retail version. Windows 10 upgrade doesn't use a key it uses a Hash number thats created when you do the upgrade. The number is based on your hardware and is stored on a Micrsosoft server. When you do a clean install it checks for the hash number match and that activates Windows 10 or you can just enter the key from Windows 7 and the Windows 10 will be activated. Now soemtime there are issues and you have to call MS and they will activates Windows 10.

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
i'm back for Windows 7 after had few issues while using win10:

-It been so good for few weeks, but after that i started to get a blue screen and it happen many time after that. Blue screen appear many time and it is so mystery for me

Back to Win7, everything back to normal, thank god

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
as it is now still free (windows 10) i will probably install it as secondary windows and hope it will be stable enough for me to use in daily basis.

USAFRet

Titan

It's not 'free'. It is an Upgrade for that Win 7 license.
You can't run Win 7 and Win 10 off the same license.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
This is from your MS license

This is from the MS license agreement agreed to when you installed or activated Windows upgrade--
What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded.

davidsonn

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
It is not wrong that Windows 10 is a combination of windows 7 and windows 8.
When Microsoft release its whole new version of windows 10, within 24 hours of its release there were over 14 million live machines which download it on the same day of its release.

It is a proof that how much users were excited for windows 10.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012

I don't read it quite that way...not in the sense that Win 10 was embraced. More like, it showed the rejection of Win 8. And, MS made it very easy to upgrade. No waiting involved, for home systems. And they dedicated enough servers to handle the massive traffic.

drues1986

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Expreince is window 10 is very good but some time problem appear like 1511 update have got problem also after the 1511 update laptop eat too much RAM and battery timing also decrease.

It doesn't tell the whole story, though, hence we have threads like this one.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
The problem with Windows 10 and why we have threads like this is because we have many OEMs that use many components which require the 3rd party component makers to make the driver to work with Windows 10. The component makers and OEM put more effort into supporting new technologies which creates a vicious cycle.

Oldtreker

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015

Bring up task manager to identify unnecessary programs that might be running.

Oldtreker

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015

I had to wait for a month before my free download was ready, I tried earlier but was told I had to wait. That maybe why I have had only one problem with my Windows 7 machine and none with my windows 8 machine. I had no problems with 8.1, just upgraded because it was free. I find Edge to be a much better browser once you learn it.

JonnyPolygon

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I honestly think Windows 10 is the best OS yet, coming from Mac OS I actually really enjoy windows 10 compared to the others. Performance wise, I havent noticed much of a difference, slightly better performance.

I've been in the Insider program for Windows 10 since 10/1/14, and have it on two desktops plus a brand new laptop I got for Christmas. I think I can pretty much sum up my experience as ho hum. All my old software works, and it has been stable. But I sure wish they'd leave the user interface alone. It's nice that we have a usable Start menu now, but why did they have to change it so dramatically from the ones we've had since Windows 95 through 7. I have no use for Edge or Cortana, so I have just have to say what's the big deal? Windows 7 is supported 'till 2020, and 8.1 'till 2023, so I see absolutely no reason to 'upgrade'.
`

USAFRet

Titan

Why is it doing that?
Where did your install come from, and how was it installed?

Simple, rename all occurrences of GWX.EXE. There's a catch though - Windows 10 won't let you do that. So I boot a Linux disc and do it from there. That way you don't have to uninstall KB3035583 and it never comes back because it looks like it's already installed. I've done that on about 20 systems.

USAFRet

Titan

That would be just to get rid of the Win 10 Upgrade notice.
Nothing to do with activation.

RonWesley

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Windows 10 is really a good operating system. I love windows 10. It works wonderfully for my purposes. It is easier and quicker to find what you are looking for, without having to fill your whole desktop with shortcuts.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I've been using version 11083 for a half an hour now and I can report that this is the fastest version I have tried so far. The only glitch I have found so far is one where when you copy something there's no progress bar or any message whatsoever. In the end it usually does copy whatever you want but there's no box informing you of that. One workaround is to drag and drop.

If this is the way forwards for Windows 10 then count me in.

11099 is out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.