Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

summerhous4

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I can predict a lot of negativity in the other comments. Always is. I like Win10 in general but I'd like to be able to control the colour of the titlebar at the top of the windows without affecting the start menu background and taskbar colours. A little more customisation here and there would be handy. Also when I start up the computer it warns me I haven't inputted a password/correct password before I've had a chance to actually add anything. Seems to be some sort of auto-submit glitch.

vesp3r

Distinguished

Thats generally the future of windows... they cut off alot of things that user could control and place things user dont want but dont have choise of getting. To me its 1:1 with the PUP you would get with most free soft and that everyone lable potential malicious soft.
Been using Win10 now for like a month but im not much impressed with it. Like you said its the small things that set you down

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014

I agree. I've had it installed on one of my PCs alongside Windows 7 from the beginning (although it gave me nothing but headaches and I usually use 7 on that PC now), but a couple of weeks ago I stuck it on my main PC as my primary OS after the HDD failed, and whilst it's come a long way since release, I'm still not all that impressed with it. Mainly because a 2 week old fresh install of W10 feels noticably more sluggish than the 11 month old Windows 7 install it replaced. My computer is not top of the range, but it's not exactly underpowered either...

aerygon

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
Gaming wise lets give windows 10 a score of 10/10.
but sometimes i get all cranky when i couldnt find a specific key -- like y'know? i have to always google out "how do i find this/ how do i do that in windows 10." well obviously y'all gonna say im not just used to windows 10 but my point is that it is way easier to use windows 7 in the terms of being productive but since im a gamer, id stay in windows 10 even though im still mastering every corners of it.

btw please take out Cortana.
only lazy bums uses ^

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

On portable devices where being hands free and lacking a full sized keyboard Cortana, like Siri, can come in handy. But most Win10 users are on laptops and PCs and don't need it. It should be an option you can tick on and tick off depending on how you use Win10 and what type of device you're on.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

How much ram do you have? I mean if you have 8 gig it's very different than if you have 2 gig.

TheloniousBreskin

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I have 16, yet windows 10 on idle will eventually use up to 70% of that.

Windows 10 for me is using only 2.1GB memory with Chrome open with two tabs and task manager. Obviously it sounds like you have crapware running because it would never use around 6.00GB on idle.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

Yeah, I think you have something else going on and just don't see it. I don't know anyone with that kind of usage. Mine peaks at about 3gb usage. It's gotta be a background program or something.

TheloniousBreskin

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I'll check but I think it's a problem with the trash collector. I don't think it clears ever, and just sits there accumulating.

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I'm the old buzzard you fellows have helped several times before. I thought I liked Win 10 when I first upgraded but now I have many doubts and some problems with speed. All except one of ISP's are 6MBs or higher service. The exception is 3 mbs service.

It takes longer to log out of yahoo and other online connections and the system keeps running after monitor powers off during shutdown, and each time I log off the net it keeps running for a while... as if it is sending data to someone, microsoft, government or some other entity.

I use a firewall, Comodo, virus checker, spyware checkers and do online scans from trendmicro/housecall. All scans report no infection detected.

I keep temp files cleaned will CCleaner and also use MalwareBytes. I do not run these programs in the back ground because of the conflicts like when running multiple firewalls at the same time.

I have checked for keyloggers and anything else people suggest... all return no problems found.

I check task manager when it is doing this and it always says it is Comodo internet security, which is updated to date and updates automatically, within a few seconds of opening task manager everything drops from high usage to basically no usage withing a few seconds. Internet security has been removed and reinstalled several times to tray and resolve this problem but with no success. I failed to mention when this is occurring my access to the computer is really slow at best.

Is microsoft and the government coping every keystroke each time we go on the net or use our systems for local things?

Not to sound paranoid but it does seem my six home systems, at various locations, are spending a lot of time helping or sending data to someone else.

In other words I have a problem that I cannot find. I hope I've provided enough info for someone to assist. I keep them updated, the old history cleared out, temp files deleted and the SSL cleared and a couple of other files that my old grey cells don't recall right now. In other words i try to keep them in tip top shape and working for me.

Thanks for any and all advice given, Ken

boju

Titan
Ambassador
@ TheloniousBreskin its 50/50, lots have no problems with Win10 and a lot still do with all sorts. I put it down to limited manufacture specific drivers for older system, the generic drivers Microsoft gives is up there with the woodpeckers. Those that have specific drivers either works or plagued with problems like the killer network adapters.

If your problem is neither the above its either bloatware but i doubt you're that kind of user, try search Win10 high memory usage, theres a tone of results, albeit a lot of which should have been addressed after the recent Win10 major update. Still people face problems so its either drivers or Microsoft again.

Can try in settings app and then open System > Notifications & Actions. Deselect the option "Show me tips about Windows" and reboot the computer. Seems pretty common.

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Boju thanks for the guidance. My problems with 10 were almost nil until 2 or 3 weeks ago, when I had to remove and reload firewall/spycheckers. Then it ran smooth as silk for about a week, high speed you could not ask for more. Then it started slowing down and has gotten a little slower every since. I'll try your suggestions and you are right I dump bloatware as soon as i start one up. thanks again for the advice. Ken

Oldtreker

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
I have downloaded Windows 10 on two computers. First one a few months ago was a Sony Vaio with Windows 7. Had one problem with the audio driver, no sound. This is a known issue. Found a updated one on google that fixed it. Also found a fix for the repeatedly need to sign on screen issue on Microsoft's website.
Two days ago I put Ten on a Dell Inspiron desktop with 8.1, it went very smooth and so far I have had no issues. I really am surprised, I was expecting at least one BSOD or a Windows Mistake Edition problem. LOL

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Oldtrekey, My six upgrades, one being a sony Vaio and the rest Dell and Lenovo system. All went smoothly until MS and NSA started installing what I suspect is Keyloggers, then it all started to crawl. I worked for the DOD for more than 33 years as a computer systems analyst and programmer and I don't put anything past them. The reason I suspect keyloggers is due to the fact when I do a shut down, my systems will continue to run for 1 to 2 minutes after the screen has turned off. You can hear the HD just chattering it is going to fast. That and when MS does push updates is the only times I ever hear the HD running. The rest of the time it is quiet as a church mouse. I've tested with every keylogger, virus checker / spyware checker that you can think of including trendmicro online housecall and nothing is every found. That indicates that someone has imbedded SW that is reporting back information. I'm an outspoken old buzzard, nothing nasty or threatening, just very opinionated about the failures of the administration, the reason I think this is because I got an response from Josh Earnest about his lying to the public for the administration. That's when it all started... the bottle neck and slowdown I'm referring to, I do believe in the First Amendment and I think everyone should use it.

Windows 8/8.1 and 10 all have a fast startup option that is based on a logout followed by hibernation. This hibernation file is written to the drive on shut down. You can remove this, but I would not recommend it for hard drive users.

Any keylogger would be writing all the time or at a fixed interval(reduced writes) and sending at a fixed or variable rate. Sending all this on shutdown would be too easy to bypass(pull the network cable).

USAFRet

Titan

Is hibernation turned on for this system?
Data collected from a keylogger would be a couple of seconds, at most, to surreptitiously upload to elsewhere.

Why aren't you running a whole house firewall/monitoring box as an edge device? That would enable you to capture traffic leaving your internal LAN, be it due to Windows 10, Microsoft, or NSA....

Seems like doing that would be an easy way to earn BIG bucks.

The_Tester

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
I generally like it for "fun time". Sorry to be so short and blunt but i'd be typing for hours on the pros/cons i've come across. My original OS was WIN7 Enterprise and that is where most of the "work" is done. Funny thing is most people i've talked to that shunned it from WIN7 ended up taking quite a liking to it. I would talk about XP and Vista but blah...

If I were brave I would compare WIN8 to WINME but that's just suicide :pfff:

ckayte

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
I am here because I am trying to find a solution to the W10 problem (namely: "rolling back" after 30 days, circumstances described below.)

I upgraded to Windows 10, from Windows 7, because I got the notice that my laptop, a Lenovo B570, was eligible for the upgrade. I checked the compatibility information that MS provided and I was assured that all would be well. Since it was a "limited time offer" (1 year) and Windows 7 support will eventually end, I thought that it was prudent to accept the upgrade. I will admit, I didn't use the laptop as frequently as I should have to test the upgrade, that laptop was no longer my primary computer. By the time I realized the compatibility issues that existed, it was too late to go the normal downgrade route.

Due to the problems that I had after the “upgrade”, I read everything that I could find about Windows 10 and the issues that I was experiencing. I learned, through the manufacturer website, that my laptop is NOT compatible with Windows 10 (WHY did Microsoft tell me that it was?) Since I wasn't able to “rollback” to Windows 7, I tried to find alternate ways to go back to a fully functioning operating system. Windows 7 was an OEM version, as is often the case. The reliable method of resetting my laptop to factory settings, the OneKey recovery that was included with my laptop (it didn't come with recovery disks because it had a recovery partition), also did not work. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Windows 10 disabled my recovery partition. The Windows key had rubbed off the bottom of my laptop ages ago and I really didn't think that I would be in such a difficult spot, I thought that OneKey recovery would be my plan B if something went wrong so I didn't make a plan C recovery disk. In addition to losing OneKey recovery, Bluetooth and my fingerprint reader no longer works. I have read that there are no plans, from the manufacturer, to provide Windows 10 compatible drivers. This is in addition to the buggy behavior of Windows 10 (I can't even search my own computer without opening task manager to force the shut down of Cortana, which freezes more often than it works.)

My new laptop, that I upgraded from Windows 8.1 a few weeks later, was well within the 30 day downgrade window but the downgrade option wouldn't work, I have read many complaints from other users who also unsuccessfully tried the “rollback” option. While laptop 2 has not lost important functions permanently, it still acts buggy and is very slow to get going (with an i5 processor, SSD, and 8GB RAM.) I still can't use the search function to find information on my own laptop thanks to Cortana (please get rid of this if you can't make it work right.) I shut off the internet search features and every option available to shut off in Cortana but it still makes it impossible to search my laptop without using task manager to forcefully shut down Cortana (every.single.time.) Fortunately, laptop 2 does have a recovery disk. Unfortunately, the manufacturer chose to send me a recovery disk for a laptop that doesn't have an optical drive (so I have to work around that.)

What happened to Windows 10 being the answer and apology for Windows 8? Why is Windows 8 starting to look good compared to Windows 10?

To Microsoft, here is what your customers need to happen:

1. We need a quick way to get rid of the Windows 10 offer when we don't want it (my very old desktop is still showing the Windows 10 upgrade offer and I can't find any way to get rid of it. Microsoft is insisting that my old hardware is compatible with Windows 10, there is NO way that is true after what I experienced with a laptop that is years newer than the desktop. Just stop with the “upgrade” offers.)

2. Stop telling people that their computer is compatible with Windows 10 when it probably isn't. Refer them to their manufacturer for details on compatibility.

3. And most importantly, offer another way to rollback to the prior Windows operating system. Once our computers are registered with Microsoft for Windows 10, you KNOW that we have a valid Windows key. Most of us have the OEM, preinstalled Windows OS. Many of us don't have the correct (or any) key in order to reinstall the OS. Help us FIX the problems that Windows 10 caused on our computers, we should not be told to give your company more money (by having to buy a retail version of Windows) to fix the problems that you created. I, for one, will never be giving Microsoft more money after this fiasco if Microsoft doesn't step up in a major way to fix this.

Pistondriven

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

That was me. After hating my wife's 8.1 and refusing to even surf the web on her laptop I was sure I'd try to not ever upgrade to 10. I decided to give it a go knowing I could just go back to 7 (and I was bored the other day).
My impressions are everything seems to run smoother and crash less. Though some of the features seem a bit more cartoony I am getting used to them. I am running 5760x1080 and was able to set up my desktop to look just like it was before.
Running 2 Zotac GTX 780 amps in SLI and it is working just fine.
I just put my LAN driver on a USB and from there it was pretty smooth. Just update drivers and get the programs out of windows.old.
Fun times

Getch08

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
I was just on Windows 10 for a couple days and that is all I could take of it. I am not sure if it is the age of my laptop or what but I was not getting sound in certain programs and speaking of programs it up and deleted a few of them. I was not a fan of it resetting settings I had just changed every time I restarted my computer and the constant messages being pushed through on a daily basis. I think if I have to in the future go to windows 10 I sure hope I have another option that is not so intrusive. For an operating system for a laptop or desktop I want the control not anyone else, that is my private area where I keep documents or other media that is for myself and my family not the world to see. So I will be sticking with windows 7 for as long as possible. I may be forced to go with windows 10 on my pc build I have coming up but it will mostly be a gaming and video editing rig and I can store things on my external storage or my laptop if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.