Jun 3, 2023
I have a 960Pro 512GB that I cloned to the 990Pro 1TB.

I am running on an ASRock Z370 Extreme4.

My 990Pro was undetected the first three times I loaded my pc. My ASRock has 2 M.2 slots that work simultaneously and I have no other drives installed. Fourth time I tried reseating the 990Pro, it was finally detected in BIOS as an empty drive and I was able to clone the data from the 960 in Windows. After the first reboot of running on the 990, it was no longer detected on my pc in BIOS. The windows install is clean and solid, same exact data as the 960 and no corruption.
I have tried seating the 990 in both M.2 slots, with the 960 detached.

I am able to load my 990 on a separate PC, which works seamlessly and is detected. But it will no longer show in my ASRock BIOS to boot.

BIOS was flashed to latest update 2 days ago.

Jun 3, 2023
It seems like you're facing an issue with your Samsung 990Pro SSD not appearing in the BIOS of your ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard after initially being detected. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Check compatibility: Ensure that the Samsung 990Pro is compatible with your motherboard. Check the motherboard's manual or specifications to confirm if it supports the 990Pro SSD.
  2. Clear CMOS: Resetting the motherboard's CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) settings can sometimes resolve detection issues. You can usually do this by locating the CMOS jumper on the motherboard and following the instructions in the motherboard manual to clear the CMOS.
  3. Try a different PCIe slot: If your motherboard has multiple M.2 slots, try installing the 990Pro SSD in a different slot to see if it gets detected. Some motherboards may prioritize one slot over others, and trying a different slot could help resolve the issue.
  4. Check M.2 slot settings: Some motherboards allow you to configure the behavior of the M.2 slots in the BIOS settings. Check if there are any specific settings related to the M.2 slots in your motherboard's BIOS, such as enabling or disabling certain slots or configuring the speed mode (e.g., PCIe or SATA). Adjust these settings if necessary and see if the 990Pro gets detected.
  5. Contact ASRock support: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, it's recommended to reach out to ASRock support for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance or identify any known issues related to your motherboard model and the Samsung 990Pro SSD.
Remember to backup any important data before attempting any major changes to your system.

D

Deleted member 14196

Flash motherboard back to what it was before if it used to work

Did you flash the BIOS before you installed the drive?

By the way, the post above me looks like it’s a chat bot so I wouldn’t pay it much attention

The fact that it wouldn’t recognize your drive three or four times in a row when you first try to install it means that it’s probably not compatible with your motherboard. Combined with the fact that it works in other computers, it’s your motherboard, hopefully an older BIOS would fix it, but who knows

Jun 3, 2023
Flash motherboard back to what it was before if it used to work

Did you flash the BIOS before you installed the drive?

By the way, the post above me looks like it’s a chat bot so I wouldn’t pay it much attention

The fact that it wouldn’t recognize your drive three or four times in a row when you first try to install it means that it’s probably not compatible with your motherboard. Combined with the fact that it works in other computers, it’s your motherboard, hopefully an older BIOS would fix it, but who knows
I’ve reached out to ASRock to see about support for the 990Pros. As far as I know, the M.2 drive is backwards compatible with the slots on the mobo. The mobo on my second pc is a much older model and somehow supports the 990, but it’s now no longer appearing on my current computer. I may see about flashing to an older BIOS, but the flash was a couple days prior to installing the 990. It had worked and ran my windows perfectly which is why I’m not sure I’d consider a compatibility issue

EDIT: the flash was 2 days prior to installing the 990.

D

Deleted member 14196

You stated that it was undetected the first three times you tried so that tells you there’s motherboard issues if it’s not to drive with your claim it’s not

So it never worked perfectly. From what I understand you stated that you tried to install it and it wouldn’t show up in the BIOS until you reseated four times. Is that or is that not the case?

Jun 3, 2023
You stated that it was undetected the first three times you tried so that tells you there’s motherboard issues if it’s not to drive with your claim it’s not

So it never worked perfectly. From what I understand you stated that you tried to install it and it wouldn’t show up in the BIOS until you reseated four times. Is that or is that not the case?
Certainly the mobo is what’s causing an issue. Trying to figure out what setting or issue is preventing it from working. If it’s hardware, that sucks.

I’m not too familiar with mobo storage compatibility, what I read the 990 is a PCIe4 and backwards compatible to PCIe3 which is what my motherboard is. The mobo also supports some PCIe4 models that I saw in its support section.
It does not have the 990Pro under its support list but did have the 960Pro that I was using. That one only lists compatibility up to a 960 as well; but detects the 990 seamlessly.

I did have to reseat it a few times since I was unsure if it was a loose connection. Out of the box, had to make sure it wasn’t dead on arrival or a failed connection. When it was detected, it was perfect. No loss of data, full connection. I guess I’d assumed no compatibility would’ve meant never being detected in the first place?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Definitely sounds like a board issue. I have 4x 990 Pros in my build... all were detected in BIOS and I had no setup issues.

Jun 3, 2023
So far I am convinced this is not a compatibility issue and is some sort of BIOS or software issue. The 990 is running its latest firmware as I was able to update it using the Samsung Magician tool, and also checked all its nodes and it is 100% functional. The motherboard detects every other drive I put in it and boots them. The 990 is continuously rejecting detection by the mobo.

I've now also noticed the PC turns off 3 times immediately after 1s consecutively like an engine trying to start and cutting off. The fourth start always works and boots to bios. The 990 has a heatsink and I can see its LED is lit up despite not being detected as a drive. There are no mobo error LEDs or anything of that sort.

D

Deleted member 14196

This is not software this is a hardware failure. Your motherboard is failing.

If it’s restarting 3 to 4 times, then you have major HARDWARE issues

Sorry if you don’t like the answers

Jun 3, 2023
This is not software this is a hardware failure. Your motherboard is failing.

If it’s restarting 3 to 4 times, then you have major HARDWARE issues

Sorry if you don’t like the answers
I'm simply not that quick to assume the motherboard is failing. Seems to be doing alright and no issues, only with this 990. The restart 3-4x on boot is only with that 990 in. Everything else is functioning great and benchmarking great. Last two mobos I had on the way out, they'd take some components out and failed booting other drives too. Maybe some biased reasoning. This one seems isolated to a single drive not being recognized.

D

Deleted member 14196

I would try booting it in another computer. Maybe it has an issue maybe the drive is defective

Don’t expect windows to work, but see if a boots. Maybe you messed up the clone somehow. I would do a clean install, not a clone and see if it works that way

Jun 3, 2023
I would try booting it in another computer. Maybe it has an issue maybe the drive is defective

Don’t expect windows to work, but see if a boots. Maybe you messed up the clone somehow. I would do a clean install, not a clone and see if it works that way
Thanks for getting back to me again. Just a heads up I did mention it boots in another computer previously. It worked flawlessly.

SOLUTION: I found out the drives were switched off in BIOS to be RAID configured / Intel Optane switched on. Some Intel Rapid Technology. It was driving me insane that for some reason my other drives were functioning perfectly and only one was faulting.

The 990Pro is so far compatible with the Mobo. It looks like it was definitely a seating issue I originally had that prevented it from recognizing, and kept unseating when placed in due to the 990 + heatsink taking a little weight and moving slightly from airflow.
When I switched drives to be the 990 alone, for some reason my motherboard switched off of its AHCI setting for drives and tried looking for a RAID a drive. Beats me that it would launch other drives and not my 990.

Thanks for the advice folks.