Question A few questions about backup and moving from Windows 7 to 10.

Showiz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Hey,

So basically i'm gonna build a new gaming PC soon and i have a few questions about backup and the transfer to Windows 10.
I currently have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed on my 500GB SSD, and i have a 5400RPM 500GB HDD with 3 partitions.

I'm planing on buying a new NVME 1TB/2TB SSD and use it as my main Windows 10 OS drive.
I usually get abit confused with formatting and what gets deleted and what is saved.

Questions:

1) The 500GB SSD that i currently use will be formatted and wiped out completely because the Windows 7 OS is installed on it, If i backup my important stuff from this SSD ONTO the 500GB HD will the HDD be safe and will it save all the files without any compatibility issues with Windows 10? (I'm also backing up the stuff on a USB drive and an external HDD/SSD).

2) I'm planing on doing a triple back up, On my 500HDD, A USB drive and on the external HDD/SSD, Will there be any issues on the new Windows 10 OS?, These methods are the most comfortable for me for backing up files.

3) When i'll buy the new Motherboard Z490 or the upcoming Z590, Do i have do a bios update? and what can go wrong in a bios update? Can it screw up or delete the files on my non OS 500GB 5400RPM HDD?

Thanks!

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
This depends on what, exactly, you are backing up. And how.
Your personal files, no problem.
Applications? No.

You have your personal files copied to some other physical drive...the HDD.
This drive is offline and disconnected during the build and OS install on the SSD.

Showiz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
This depends on what, exactly, you are backing up. And how.
Your personal files, no problem.
Applications? No.

You have your personal files copied to some other physical drive...the HDD.
This drive is offline and disconnected during the build and OS install on the SSD.

Photos, Music, And videos mostly.
A few games aswell.

Latest posts