Question After Windows did a system update, I constantly have to use winsock reset at every boot of my PC ?

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
After I updated my windows the wifi would just cut out every few mins like when I play a game and it shows the ping every few mins the game stops because the ping is in the rotating loading symbol and I lose wifi for a few seconds. My first fix was doing a system restore which fixed this but every 3 days or so windows would automatically update and eventually I lost the automatic restore point in which my wifi was fine. My second fix was I keep on using netsh winsock reset catalog and netsh int ip reset reset.log which fixes it but everytime I shut down the PC I'll have to do it again which is a bit tiresome as I have to execute it in the cmd then restart my PC everytime I shut it down. Also note I cannot connect via ethernet because the router is quite far from my PC. Any other suggestions or fixes I would very much appreciate

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is this a pre-built system (i.e. Dell, HP, etc), if so what make/model? Or, is this a custom build?

Speccy can help, as can sysinfo as Mandark suggested. I prefer opening the case and looking inside. GPUs, motherboards, memory, PSUs, SSDs, HDDs, etc all have labels. The CPU info will be hidden by the heatsink/cooler, but the rest can be visually determined.

I hate windows update there really needs to be some penalty for when they force a update and it messes up your machine.
Someplace which microsoft keeps changing you can disable the update of device drivers. Many times windows puts in generic ones or even older ones.

I would try to find the chipset your wifi card uses and then try to get the driver directly from the chipset vendor. Most are broadcom or realtek but there are a few others.

I am not sure why those commands would clear it. Those are more related to how a program like a game interacts with the network at a higher level. It really is not related to how your machine connects to the network say via wireless or ethernet.

To check you can open a cmd window and let a actual ping command constanlty run to either your router IP or maybe 8.8.8.8. This command is pretty basic and does not use winsock. In some ways this is more problematic because if it is just the game that is having issues it can be many things that mircosoft could have messed up. You should be able to compare when the game says it has a issue to the cmd window running a real ping command by quickly switching over to the ping window you have running in the background.

It is strange that it would fix it on boot. Most times this stuff gets cleared by itself when you boot. Worst case you could put those 2 commands in to a bat script and then have windows run it on boot. It has been so long since I did this I have no idea how you set it up in something like window10.

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
Is this a pre-built system (i.e. Dell, HP, etc), if so what make/model? Or, is this a custom build?

Speccy can help, as can sysinfo as Mandark suggested. I prefer opening the case and looking inside. GPUs, motherboards, memory, PSUs, SSDs, HDDs, etc all have labels. The CPU info will be hidden by the heatsink/cooler, but the rest can be visually determined.
Specs are
Ryzen 7
asrock x570
hyperx fury 2x8
rtx 2080
1Tb seagate barracuda
500gb samsung ssd
corsair cx750
tp link ac1300 wifi adapter

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am not a fan of USB wifi adapters. There are better, more reliable options.

Personally, I recommend replacing with one mounted internally. Like the one, or another PCIe device.

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
I hate windows update there really needs to be some penalty for when they force a update and it messes up your machine.
Someplace which microsoft keeps changing you can disable the update of device drivers. Many times windows puts in generic ones or even older ones.

I would try to find the chipset your wifi card uses and then try to get the driver directly from the chipset vendor. Most are broadcom or realtek but there are a few others.

I am not sure why those commands would clear it. Those are more related to how a program like a game interacts with the network at a higher level. It really is not related to how your machine connects to the network say via wireless or ethernet.

To check you can open a cmd window and let a actual ping command constanlty run to either your router IP or maybe 8.8.8.8. This command is pretty basic and does not use winsock. In some ways this is more problematic because if it is just the game that is having issues it can be many things that mircosoft could have messed up. You should be able to compare when the game says it has a issue to the cmd window running a real ping command by quickly switching over to the ping window you have running in the background.

It is strange that it would fix it on boot. Most times this stuff gets cleared by itself when you boot. Worst case you could put those 2 commands in to a bat script and then have windows run it on boot. It has been so long since I did this I have no idea how you set it up in something like window10.
Upon further testing it may not be the commands that fix it but its just the restarting. Haven't done enough testing but I have another speculation that the constant lose of connection is when the PC is from a cold boot and once I boot it and then restart the PC it fixes the problem

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
It is strange that this would be related to a windows update but what colgeek is suggesting that you use a front panel jack or use a USB extension cable to move the device away from the computer case. This is always a good thing to try with any wifi problem.
It was after a windows update that this happened. Never happened to me in 1 year of having this adapter. But I do have another speculation that the frequent lose of connection only happens during a cold boot and when I restart the PC again it fixes it. I have to do more testing on this tho.

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
After a windows 10 system update I noticed that from a cold boot my internet connection via wifi adapter (ac600, archer t2u plus) would constantly drop for a few seconds, usually once in a 1 hour time frame and once this occurs the solution that fixes it is just to restart the PC. I was able to narrow down this problem since the only time I turn off my computer is when I sleep and first thing in the morning when I turn it on and start using it especially for gaming I encounter this problem and I simply restart the PC and it fixes it. It's just annoying to everyday restart my PC to fix this problem. I have had this wifi adapter for a year and never experienced this problem until now. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I was going to lookup the chipset for you but like many tplink products they have multiple hardware revisions the newest one is a realtek 8811. I would try a driver directly from the realtek site...there is a small chance your card uses mediatek if it is a few years old.

What happens if you were to unplug the wifi card and plug it back in does that fix the problem or only a reboot. What happens if you disable and enable the wifi does that fix it.

One thing that commonly cuases disconnects on a semi regular rate is something called autoconfig. I have seen mixed data if you want this on or off. What is strange is you would think this setting was the same no matter how often you boot the machine.

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
I was going to lookup the chipset for you but like many tplink products they have multiple hardware revisions the newest one is a realtek 8811. I would try a driver directly from the realtek site...there is a small chance your card uses mediatek if it is a few years old.

What happens if you were to unplug the wifi card and plug it back in does that fix the problem or only a reboot. What happens if you disable and enable the wifi does that fix it.

One thing that commonly cuases disconnects on a semi regular rate is something called autoconfig. I have seen mixed data if you want this on or off. What is strange is you would think this setting was the same no matter how often you boot the machine.
I am able to confirm that this happens upon cold boot and the fix to it is restarting the PC but it is annoying to turn my computer on in the morning then have to immediately restart