RockedSolid

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I've been dealing with motherboard issues with this old computer that I was using for the last 5 years and it ended up dying recently.
So I ended up going out and got a completely new computer. I have a lot of important files on my old computer's hard drive.
My old computer ran Windows 8.1 as the operating system. This new computer with a different hard drive that I am currently using runs Windows 10 as the operating system.
My question is, am I able to just simply plug in the old hard drive running Windows 8.1 onto this new computer and dual-boot into Windows 8.1 so that I can transfer the files
onto this new computers hard drive? Or is it more complex than that? Will I run into compatibility issues? Is there a chance I lose files or mess something up with this computer if I do this?
Or can I simply boot into the Windows 10 hard drive normally and simply drag files found on my Windows 8.1 hard drive off of it?

Both Hard Drives are primary drives with operating systems pre-installed on both of them.