Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonn

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I need to upgrade my 3700x/B450 combo to 13900K/B760. The PROBLEM is that I've got +300 games installed and +200 programs, 50% of which are essential for my work and have config files/templates/presets which would take months to track, something that I don't have. Reinstalling all the games and programs is literally impossible for me, despite me having most of the setup files and some config files backed up. Is there a way to upgrade without reinstalling Windows or at least without CLEAN-destroy-my-soul-nuclear-apocalypse reinstalling? I remember trying to upgrade from b450 to b550 with the same CPU - it got so bad I never saw the light of Windows booting, so it has been on the shelf for a year now. From reading online I understand that the results won't be smooth, but I'd rather deal with consequences (how bad could it get by the way?).

Antonn

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
I need to upgrade my 3700x/B450 combo to 13900K/B760. The PROBLEM is that I've got +300 games installed and +200 programs, 50% of which are essential for my work and have config files/templates/presets which would take months to track, something that I don't have. Reinstalling all the games and programs is literally impossible for me, despite me having most of the setup files and some config files backed up. Is there a way to upgrade without reinstalling Windows or at least without CLEAN-destroy-my-soul-nuclear-apocalypse reinstalling? I remember trying to upgrade from b450 to b550 with the same CPU - it got so bad I never saw the light of Windows booting, so it has been on the shelf for a year now. From reading online I understand that the results won't be smooth, but I'd rather deal with consequences (how bad could it get by the way?).

USAFRet

Titan
Old AMD to new Intel?

Embrace the pain, and reinstall.
Seriously.

Reinstalling all the games and programs is literally impossible for me
No it isn't.

"How bad could it get?"
Anything from no boot at all, to crappy game play, to chasing issues for weeks/months.

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to reinstall the OS, no matter what and how you look at things.

As for your games, if they're on a separate drive and you're using Steam, you can relocate the games to another physical drive and then navigate the games files using the launcher/app.

Reactions: Antonn
You can look up clone to dissimilar, it's a pretty involved procedure but basically it will strip your installation of any driver that is not the most basic of default drivers so that it can be populated by the new drivers of the new hardware without conflicts.

Windows has an build in cloning tool, dism. You can use it to sysprep the image which is basically the same.

USAFRet

Titan
"literally impossible"?
While it may not be the option you wish to pursue, it IS an option.

You might get lucky without following the best practice, but there is no magic.

Look up "Clone to Dissimlar" in Macrium, or Sysprep from MS.

Good luck, and have a nice day.

Antonn

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
"literally impossible"?
While it may not be the option you wish to pursue, it IS an option.

You might get lucky without following the best practice, but there is no magic.

Look up "Clone to Dissimlar" in Macrium, or Sysprep from MS.

Good luck, and have a nice day.
thanks for your time

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
"Impossible" doesn't mean "a giant pain."

Frankly, you need to go through these and de-complicate your workflow, because a full Windows install is as normal thing that people *have to* do from time to time. At a minimum, you should have a drive that just houses all the install files and backups of your configs so you can get up and working quickly.

If you have a Windows install that is *actually* impossible to replace, then someday, something will happen that will cause you to lose access to this one particular install, and you'll lose your job. So planning ahead to make this "impossible" problem a possible one should be your priority.

Antonn

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
impossible doesn't mean " a giant pain" - it means impossible, because I don't have all the original setup files for all the programs and games, plus some of the programs do not exist commercially any longer. It's refreshing to see how you just assume I'm lazy and irresponsible at work without know a single thing about what I do. I've got everything backed-up and images of Windows and reinstalling Windows was never the issue- my situation was about the programs, the presets/config/setups. I am now convinced this forum is not really for helping, but thanks for your pov boss. Go spread your wisdom to others

My sympathies.
Upgrading intel to intel is likely possible, I have done that.
It works because the drivers are similar enough that you will be able to boot and update drivers.
Upgrading amd to amd or intel is not likely to work because of driver differences.
If your games are steam based, there is a procedure to easily switch them over to a new build.
Any apps that need the registry would need to be installed.
My best suggestion is to see what kind of a cpu upgrade your current B450 motherboard can accommodate.

Might it be possible to run your current OS as a virtual machine with dedicated resources?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
We help thousands and thousands of people a year.

You have a significant long-term disaster in the works, whether you choose to accept it or not. Anybody with ethics is going to point it out whether you like to hear it or not; if you only want to hear what you want to hear, you should consult a mirror.

Your plan is absolutely *not* viable long-term. A single install of Windows cannot last forever, through hardware upgrades and version updates and backups don't help that. The longer you put it off, the worse the consequences will be. And those consequences won't be any milder just because you want to keep telling yourself that having an irreplaceable Windows install for specific hardware isn't a very serious problem.

kanewolf

Titan
impossible doesn't mean " a giant pain" - it means impossible, because I don't have all the original setup files for all the programs and games, plus some of the programs do not exist commercially any longer. It's refreshing to see how you just assume I'm lazy and irresponsible at work without know a single thing about what I do. I've got everything backed-up and images of Windows and reinstalling Windows was never the issue- my situation was about the programs, the presets/config/setups. I am now convinced this forum is not really for helping, but thanks for your pov boss. Go spread your wisdom to others
You better have some kind of "Plan B". There is no guarantee you will be successful. If you can't do software installs, then maybe a CPU only upgrade with the motherboard you have would be a fallback plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.