Sep 22, 2019
I'm want to buy this build (for machine learning): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SurrealEverything/saved/#view=x6NHBm
I will only buy one gpu at first, but I plan on buying a second one later.

What i cannot figure out is:
  1. Would 2 2080 ti gpus physically fit on a triple pci slot motherboard? Would they fit on this specific one?
  2. Would the 2 gpus+mobo physically fit inside this specific case?
  3. I know cooling should be an issue. Can heat potentially kill them even with carefully placed case fans and slight underclocking? Water cooling is out of budget for me.

Last edited:
Solution
Don't know how a gpu like that will use x4 lanes on a pcie 4.0 slot. The reviews about that aren't there. Can look and just get a more expensive motherboard that supports sli.

I had that case of your choice btw and imo is it not the best case so my advice is to get something better.

With for instance this motherboard,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XV...ifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite-wifi
will there be one additional slot between the gpu's so the upper has some breathing room,but likely will be hotter. Get a case with good airflow.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, two GTX 2080Ti GPUs will physically fit in that motherboard.
Yes, two GTX 2080Ti GPUs will physically fit in that case.
Yes, that motherboard will physically fit in that case.

Not familiar with "machine learning", so I don't know if the two cards need to work in conjunction with each other, but that motherboard does NOT support an NVidia Multi-GPU configuration.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: SurrealEverything
Sep 22, 2019
Yes, two GTX 2080Ti GPUs will physically fit in that motherboard.
Yes, two GTX 2080Ti GPUs will physically fit in that case.
Yes, that motherboard will physically fit in that case.

Not familiar with "machine learning", so I don't know if the two cards need to work in conjunction with each other, but that motherboard does NOT support an NVidia Multi-GPU configuration.

-Wolf sends

Thanks a lot for the reply :) . In machine learning, SLI is not needed.

Sep 22, 2019
A SLI board wil support higher bandwith on the second pcie slot,not necessary as well?

It looks like this motherboard cannot run graphics cards in x8 pciE slots (and dual x16 is not supported by the cpu). So it would definitely not be suitable. Is this what you're referring to? Anyways, thanks a lot for making me realize.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well hard to say,but since running at pcie 4.0 might it well do fine,but also might just keep the gpu from reaching it's potential,i really don't know and should look for reviews that compare this.
That second slot runs at pcie 4.0 at x4 speeds,so just 4 lanes instead of the 16 in the first slot. That still means it would do comparably x8 lanes with pcie 3.0,this might well be fine for such a gpu.
An article that might shed some light on this,
Thanks to AMD, PCIe 4 Has Finally Arrived. But Does It Matter? | Digital Trends

Sep 22, 2019
Well hard to say,but since running at pcie 4.0 might it well do fine,but also might just keep the gpu from reaching it's potential,i really don't know and should look for reviews that compare this.
That second slot runs at pcie 4.0 at x4 speeds,so just 4 lanes instead of the 16 in the first slot. That still means it would do comparably x8 lanes with pcie 3.0,this might well be fine for such a gpu.
An article that might shed some light on this,
Thanks to AMD, PCIe 4 Has Finally Arrived. But Does It Matter? | Digital Trends

For a pciE 3.0 gpu like 2080 ti, pciE 4.0 motherboard slots have the same speed as pciE 3.0 motherboard slots. I have to go for a motherboard that supports x8 in the 1st and 3rd slots.

The only question left is wether or not the configuration I described will severely overheat the cards. I'm thinking of maybe buying one or even both of the gpus with a blower style cooler. I'm not sure which combination should provide maximum cooling.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know how a gpu like that will use x4 lanes on a pcie 4.0 slot. The reviews about that aren't there. Can look and just get a more expensive motherboard that supports sli.

I had that case of your choice btw and imo is it not the best case so my advice is to get something better.

With for instance this motherboard,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XV...ifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite-wifi
will there be one additional slot between the gpu's so the upper has some breathing room,but likely will be hotter. Get a case with good airflow.

Reactions: SurrealEverything
Solution