Question ARGB header not working correctly, fans are only on green colour and unable to control by motherboard software.

Oct 29, 2022
My Motherboard Model:
Asus B660M-PLUS WIFI DDR4
My Cabinet Model:
Lian Li Lancool 215
My AIO Liquid Cooler Model:
Lian Li Galahad 240 ARGB

As you can see by my motherboard specs, it has 3 ARGB Gen 2 headers. Yet only 1 ARGB header seems to be working correctly. When I connect my case fans or AIO fans to either of the 2 ARGB headers, it only glows green in colour and I cannot control it via the AURA sync motherboard software. Only when I connect to that 1 "working" ARGB header, all the colours glow and I can control them via software too. So I'm guessing the LEDs of the case fans and AIO fans are working correctly, it's just the 2 other ARGB headers which are not working correctly since all the lights glow when i connect them to the "working" ARGB header. And also as you can see by the specs, both my case fans and AIO fans are ARGB and controllable via motherboard software.

So what is the problem then? Why are the other 2 ARGB headers not working correctly? I cannot connect all of my fans to that 1 working ARGB header so I need to get the other 2 working correctly. Please help me, anyone.

For pictures, refer to this link: View: https://imgur.com/a/6BEAV0l

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know if this will work, but you can try. I note in the mobo manual that configuration of the mobo AURA ARGB headers includes some options for a difference between AURA LED's and "Functional" LED's. Apparently from an ASUS website, "Functional" LED's are used to display INFORMATION about the system operation, such as temperatures etc. whereas AURA LED's are the decorative displays we see commonly. In your ASUS mobo, see p. 9 of its BIOS User's manual here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

I suggest you examine the configuration of each of the three ARGB headers on your mobo and set them all to "All On" so that BOTH types of lighting uses are in effect. It MAY be that the default setting for some headers disables use of decorative Aura Sync lighting.

Oct 29, 2022
I don't know if this will work, but you can try. I note in the mobo manual that configuration of the mobo AURA ARGB headers includes some options for a difference between AURA LED's and "Functional" LED's. Apparently from an ASUS website, "Functional" LED's are used to display INFORMATION about the system operation, such as temperatures etc. whereas AURA LED's are the decorative displays we see commonly. In your ASUS mobo, see p. 9 of its BIOS User's manual here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

I suggest you examine the configuration of each of the three ARGB headers on your mobo and set them all to "All On" so that BOTH types of lighting uses are in effect. It MAY be that the default setting for some headers disables use of decorative Aura Sync lighting.
All of them were on by default already, i turned them off and turned them on again in the bios and restarted, still it's the same. Only 1 ARGB header is working and the other 2 are just showing green color when the fans are connected.

Oct 29, 2022

Hey actually i found out what was wrong with this, another guy from reddit helped me with this solution. Turns out I have to toggle from ARGB Gen 2 to ARGB Gen 1 in Asus Armoury crate software and then it proceeded to detect the lights normally. The motherboard comes with ARGB Gen 2 headers by default and ARGB gen 1 devices don't work when the ports are set to ARGB Gen 2 mode. Asus did make a terrible software though since it was pretty hard to detect.

Reactions: dudio

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Glad to hear you found the solution, I wondered about that, too, but lost track of the thought when I was looking at ARGB header configuration options. In fact, I don't even know whether this setting is available in BIOS Setup or only in Armoury Crate. It's good you brought that factor of different forms of ARGB systems to the attention of others likely to encounter exactly this.