Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

We are running with 100 PC's of gaming cafe. At present scenario, we are using Fortigate 100D router for 100 gaming PC's. We have two ISP connections 500 + 350 Mbs.

Our clients are playing most of games are World of Warcraft (Wow), Counter Strike global offensive (CS:GO), League of legends, PUBG, Fortnite game, Dota 2 and all types of steam and origin games.

couple of months we have too much lags in the games. We are using high end PC's with latest spec such as intel i7 8th generation processor, VGA 1080Ti graphics cards, 16 RAM, SSD etc.

Kindly please suggest best gaming router suitable for above mentioned games.

Looking forward your valuable response. Thank you

Last edited:

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I'm going to be frank and say there is no "Gaming Router" for 100 gaming PCs. You're getting into enterprise gear with that setup. The Fortigate 100D is a good FW/Router for the job when configured right and I'm wondering if your internet is your problem area or if you have network issues elsewhere.

If you're looking to replace router, I'm a big advocate for the Ubitquiti USG Pro 4. They have been the backbone for my medium size deployments for a good price and should handle the job just fine.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
You probably don't have a routing issue. It's a shaping issue. The most common is limiters per client. You can set everyone at a certain Mbs and monitor the link and make sure it doesn't get congested. if anyone has latency while gaming it's going to be from their client if the main link isn't congested. If every client had 50Mbs then it would take 14ish ppl swamping their client to swamp the main link.

Another option is a qdisc based one. fq_codel or cake can keep latency low. ipfire can run at those speeds.

Either solution you want your main link to not be congested so you want your client traffic to only be 85-95% of your isp link. limiters won't let traffic through but it can't prevent it from coming. this is why you can't limit it at 100%. TCP will slowdown once the limiter starts to drop packets. If your main link is congested everyone will get bufferbloat. limiters have wide support on many devices. your current equipment can probably do it. qdisc is very limited on availability and only x86cpu can hit those speeds.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
minimizing update downloads is another point. someone else posted about this eariler. I'm not sure if they found a solution. if you can figure out how to download once and deploy to each pc that will cut your downloads down quite a bit. game clients might have something built it for this.

squid cache and pihole can cut down some traffic.

I'm going to be frank and say there is no "Gaming Router" for 100 gaming PCs. You're getting into enterprise gear with that setup. The Fortigate 100D is a good FW/Router for the job when configured right and I'm wondering if your internet is your problem area or if you have network issues elsewhere.

If you're looking to replace router, I'm a big advocate for the Ubitquiti USG Pro 4. They have been the backbone for my medium size deployments for a good price and should handle the job just fine.

This is pretty much the same answer we gave him last time. He needs to enterprise equipment or roll his own like pfsense and learn about traffic shaping. He wants a turnkey solution where none exist.