[SOLVED] Can GPU Usage still be at 100% even if most of the VRAM isn't being used?

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Dumb question I know....Is GPU usage still going to be at 100% if the VRAM isn't being fully utilized. Let's say I'm playing a game that is quite demanding but there is still a huge headroom for the VRAM usage even if I set the graphic settings at the very max, is the graphics card still going to run at 100% usage even if the VRAM headroom is still big? I mean most games are GPU bound, so I'm hypothesizing that even if the VRAM headroom is huge then the usage would still be a ty 100% considering that games utilize the GPU and not really much on the CPU.

Solution
Absolutely. Ideally, we could offload an entire game onto a video card and be done with it, unfortunately it isn't that way. Depending on how the game is made, it can rely heavily on the GPU, or CPU. There are modern games I play where the CPU maxes out, but the GPU is barely touched. It's quite aggrivating.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Absolutely. Ideally, we could offload an entire game onto a video card and be done with it, unfortunately it isn't that way. Depending on how the game is made, it can rely heavily on the GPU, or CPU. There are modern games I play where the CPU maxes out, but the GPU is barely touched. It's quite aggrivating.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution