Atix

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
So I have a Note 9 which only fast charges one direction of the cable, the other direction is very-very slow charging.( Not cable issue, not usb port issue 100%). And I am so lucky that my Gear VR(SM-R325) is connecting to my phone exactly in the direction where slow charging occurs so it is not working. If I use an extender and connect the VR and my phone then it works but again only one direction. The problem is probably in the motherboard of the phone, but that would be too expensive to replace for using the VR.

So, I was wondering, can I flip the connection pins on the VR.( dont ask me how, I just want to know the theory) So basically there are 8 pins. We have: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 and if I flip the connections with an adapter or something to 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, would this work? Since the usb type c is reversible I had this idea come up but I am not sure if those connections are reversible too. Can someone make me clear about this? I linked a picture so you can see what I mean.
usb-flip.jpg

When you say "one direction of the cable" do you mean if you flip it on one side or the other? USB C is technically unidirectional, but I have seen cables and ports that only work when the cable is flipped to one side.

Atix

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Yeah, USB Type C has two plug-in positions because the port itself is symmetrical. One of the positions charges fast and normally, the other doesn't, it only slow-charges, it estimates 8-9 hours of charging time which is ridiculous. There is something <Mod Edit> up in the motherboard that is responsible to adjust voltage for the port. Since I dont want to replace the mobo, I want a cheaper option, thats why I came up with this idea. I dont care if it only charges one direction, I want my VR to work.

Last edited by a moderator: