[SOLVED] Can use internet but can't play games

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysani

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
As the title says I can browse internet but can't connect to online games like GameRanger, Age of empires (eso) and others. I need help with this its been more than a month I've not played my games due to this problem.

Tried searching more than hundreds of fix's but that didn't solve any of my issue. This happened after I reinstalled my OS. It was all fine in the previous OS. Note that I can connect to servers but I get 'lost connection to the server/timeouts' in few seconds after I join any server. My previous Os was win7 ultimate and the one I'm using is also win7 ultimate. Me and my bro uses same network and same router, everything runs well in his pc, he can play games normally but something is wrong in my pc? or router? or os?

Solution
It is not ip related or dns related or the web browser would not work.

I do not know those games maybe you need port forwarding to make them work. Try setting the ip of your PC to be the DMZ in the router. This will map all ports to your pc. You only want to do this to test it exposes your machine to the internet which increases you chance of attack a small amount. If it work in DMZ mode you need to figure out which ports you need to forward
If it is only your PC i would be suspect of firewall settings. I would use the option to temporarily disable it and see if it works. Some third party virus software also blocks this if it is setup wrong.

The difference between web browsing and games is the port they run on. Many times port 80 and 443 are allowed and most other ports are blocked. These ports are the ones used by web browsers. Browser based games likely work... but most people do not mean those types of games when they say games do not work.

rysani

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Tried disabling/enabling firewall many times but it didnt work.

Also did the 'ipconfig' thing through cmd.exe by releasing and renewing the IP that didn't work either.

It is not ip related or dns related or the web browser would not work.

I do not know those games maybe you need port forwarding to make them work. Try setting the ip of your PC to be the DMZ in the router. This will map all ports to your pc. You only want to do this to test it exposes your machine to the internet which increases you chance of attack a small amount. If it work in DMZ mode you need to figure out which ports you need to forward

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.