Question Can't access Multi-monitor (iGPU) setting in BIOS when set to CSM (Legacy Boot)

Aug 30, 2023
I can only boot into Windows 11 if I have CSM (Legacy Boot) on, otherwise I get a hanging black screen. Also if I have CSM on - I can boot into BIOS, however iGPU is inaccessible!

I would rather have a UEFI boot, but as stated, if I set it to that ¹I can't boot into Windows, and ²I can't access the BIOS!...so might have to settle for some way to keep CSM enabled whilst finding some way to get the iGPU (multi-monitor) setting to appear in the BIOS.

I am using an Asus Z790 motherboard, and it's brand new after I changed a previous model which had the same issue.

Help required!

nb. The only way I could get back into the BIOS originally if I had the PC set to UEFI boot/black screen, was to completely turn off the PC, then press the Clear CMOS button on the motherboard, then turn the PC back on, and access the BIOS as normal with repeated presses of the DEL key - with which I then set the PC to CSM boot (where I am with it now).

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I am using an Asus Z790 motherboard, and it's brand new after I changed a previous model which had the same issue.
Asus is the brand of the board, while Z790 is the chipset for said motherboard. What is teh model of the board? What BIOS version are you on?

On second thoughts, please pass on your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time. Sig space specs can and will change over time, when that happens this thread and it's relevant suggestions will be rendered moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in now.

You mentioned swapping the boards, what board were you on prior?

Aug 30, 2023
Thanks for reply. Here's your questions answered:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K
  • CPU cooler: Deepcool LT720 360mm
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II
  • Ram: Kingston Fury Beast RGB DDR5
  • SSD/HDD: Main Windows Boot SSD = WD SN850X 2TB
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX™ 4070 VENTUS 2X 12G OC
  • PSU: Antec NE850G M ATX3.0
  • Chassis: NZXT H7 Flow RGB
  • Monitor 2 (Identified in Windows display settings) - (Gaming Screen, connected to the one GPU HDMI port): Asus TUF VG259QM (Connected Pass Thru from AVerMedia AVT GC575 Capture Card for OBS (plugged into the GPU))
  • Monitor 1 (Identified in Windows display settings) - (Primary Monitor, connected to one of the three GPU DisplayPorts): Asus ROG XG259QNS
The PSU is less than 6 months old (PC built in March 2024).
BIOS v.1503 (re. CPUID ROG CPU-Z).
Previous motherboard = Asus Z790-H.

Hope this helps?

ps. Incidently, I saw others with this issue through a browser search (Reddit):

EDIT: Just had a thought, and the PSU has a Hybrid Mode button. Apparently pressed in means Fan Always On - which is how I have it set. Probably nothing to do with this anyway..
Also, I am upgrading the CPU cooler to a Deepcool Mystique 360mm this week.

Last edited: