theladyandthebee

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Hi there, I am in need of some help and I just can't figure this one out. For several years now I have been dealing with mouse problems. Double clicking and even clicks that don't register. My husband's and I's computer are on the same outlet for our computers. We both also use surge protectors. For some reason only my computer has ever had a double clicking problem. I've tried: a different surge protector, a different psu power cord, 3 different mice, constantly grounding myself, different USB ports (even my keyboard usb port), and leaving my mouse unplugged during the night. Not only that but my humidity is always between 50-70%. Nothing seems to be working at all! How can this happen to 3 different mice? Could it be my 8 year old psu is becoming faulty? This double clicking is very enraging and I really need some help.

Ralston18

Titan
Double click speed.

Double-clicking is a physical action with the time between clicks recognized by the software as having some special significance and the software dutifully responds....

If the time between clicks is too long the software sees two single clicks.

Try this:

Use your husband's computer. Let him use yours.

Does the problem follow you or stay with your computer?

Have you ever configured or adjusted the mouse "double click" speeds on your computer?

You/your hands may simply not be able to double click at the rate expected and recognized by the mouse.

What make and model mouse are you using? Find the User Guide/Manual. Learn how to adjust the "double click" time.

For example:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001532.htm

The key is to find the applicable setting for the current mouse being used.

theladyandthebee

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Double click speed.

Double-clicking is a physical action with the time between clicks recognized by the software as having some special significance and the software dutifully responds....

If the time between clicks is too long the software sees two single clicks.

Try this:

Use your husband's computer. Let him use yours.

Does the problem follow you or stay with your computer?

Have you ever configured or adjusted the mouse "double click" speeds on your computer?

You/your hands may simply not be able to double click at the rate expected and recognized by the mouse.

What make and model mouse are you using? Find the User Guide/Manual. Learn how to adjust the "double click" time.

For example:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001532.htm

The key is to find the applicable setting for the current mouse being used.
I used to have this problem on a Logitech g700 but it took years to develop. I thought it was a hardware problem so I threw it out and bought a Razer Imperator. But... shortly after it also developed the problem. I have also recently bought a Logitech G903 that also has the problem. At the moment I have the newest Logitech and the Razer. I have messed with the Mouse Properties and have tried both the double-click speed on the Slowest and have tried the Fastest. Both still give me the double-click speed. My husband is unfortunately not willing to let me use his computer as he thinks I will ruin his.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you use computers and mice anywhere else: work, family & friends, public places?

Do the mice you use at those places "develop" the problem?

Going back a step or two: the Logitech G700 and G903 are both wireless - correct? If so, where are you plugging in the dongle (wireless transceiver)?

Try using a USB extension cable between the dongle and its' current USB port. Objective being to raise the dongle up and away from the back of the computer or wherever the dongle is plugged in.

That does not account for the Razer Imperator (wired - correct) having the double click problem.

But it does bring into consideration another factor: the USB ports. Do you have any other USB devices installed beyond the keyboard?

Will double-clicking work if the keyboard is unplugged?

theladyandthebee

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Do you use computers and mice anywhere else: work, family & friends, public places?

Do the mice you use at those places "develop" the problem?

Going back a step or two: the Logitech G700 and G903 are both wireless - correct? If so, where are you plugging in the dongle (wireless transceiver)?

Try using a USB extension cable between the dongle and its' current USB port. Objective being to raise the dongle up and away from the back of the computer or wherever the dongle is plugged in.

That does not account for the Razer Imperator (wired - correct) having the double click problem.

But it does bring into consideration another factor: the USB ports. Do you have any other USB devices installed beyond the keyboard?

Will double-clicking work if the keyboard is unplugged?
I don't use mice anywhere else.
The G700 and G903 both can be wired or wireless, on the exception that the G903 has an extension for the wireless dongle.
I also noticed that my Device manager had 4 different mice installed at once. 1 of them was the main mouse, the 2nd was a logitech virtual mouse, and the last 2 were corsair (ICUE software). I went ahead and uninstalled both the Corsair ICUE software and the Logitech G Hub.
I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not but the double clicking is significantly less. Still there, but much less often.

Ralston18

Titan
Just to be sure I understand: uninstalling the Logitech G Hub removed the virtual mouse - correct?

With the extra mice gone/uninstalled from Device Manager take another look at the configuration settings for the mouse currently in use.

In the "Type here to search" box type "Control Panel". Select when available.

When the Control Panel window opens select "View devices and printers" under "Hardware and Sound"

Find your mouse, right click, and select "Mouse settings".

Doing so should open a mouse icon window titled "Mouse Properties" with 6 tabs:

Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, Hardware, Set Point Settings.

In the Buttons tab the second box down configures the double-click speed.

Adjust the double click speed so you can consistently open and close the sample folder icon.

Carefully note what speed setting you use via the Speed scale. The reason for doing so is to discover, if need be, if that speed gets changed after the fact.

Apply and then close the windows.

Hopefully you will have a functional and consistent double-click thereafter.

If not, revisit the Control Panel settings to determine if the double click speed changed.

theladyandthebee

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Just to be sure I understand: uninstalling the Logitech G Hub removed the virtual mouse - correct?

With the extra mice gone/uninstalled from Device Manager take another look at the configuration settings for the mouse currently in use.

In the "Type here to search" box type "Control Panel". Select when available.

When the Control Panel window opens select "View devices and printers" under "Hardware and Sound"

Find your mouse, right click, and select "Mouse settings".

Doing so should open a mouse icon window titled "Mouse Properties" with 6 tabs:

Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, Hardware, Set Point Settings.

In the Buttons tab the second box down configures the double-click speed.

Adjust the double click speed so you can consistently open and close the sample folder icon.

Carefully note what speed setting you use via the Speed scale. The reason for doing so is to discover, if need be, if that speed gets changed after the fact.

Apply and then close the windows.

Hopefully you will have a functional and consistent double-click thereafter.

If not, revisit the Control Panel settings to determine if the double click speed changed.
Yes it removed the virtual mouse. And unfortunately it was just coincidence, I'm still having double clicking pretty heavily.
I did what you asked but the double-click speed setting is the same as what it was before. I have it on the fastest but I have also tried in the past on the slowest. Neither side works.

Ralston18

Titan
It appears that the usual hardware and software "solutions" are proving not to be at all viable.

For the time being all I can come up with is for you to go somewhere else - family, friends, library, etc.. and work with some other mice.

Even stores that have display computers set up for customer's to try.

If the problem does not follow "you" then we will revisit all that has been tried to date.

And perhaps someone else following this thread will spot something I missed. I have no problem with that.