Mar 5, 2021
A month ago, my computer started randomly restarting. It would happen randomly; didn't matter if I was browsing the web or putting a heavy load on the CPU and GPU. The most it restarted was three times a day. Screen would turn black, fans would crank to the max for a couple seconds, and the computer started booting like nothing happened. Event viewer didn't help, neither did memory diagnostics, a full scan of the computer, and no weird temperatures or programs running. I thought it was a powersupply issue so I exercised the warranty. But then the restarting had stopped, but I still wanted to replace the powersupply, or at least figure out what was causing it.

When I got the new powersupply and put it in, the computer worked fine. After five minutes, it turned off. I couldn't turn it back on at all. If I flipped the switch on the powersupply off and then back on, I could press the power button once and the fan would spin for a split second. That was all. I put back the old powersupply and everything worked normally.

I don't know what to do right now. Do I return the new PSU and keep the old one? What is causing this issue? Is the random restarting going to come back? Does anybody have any answer to any of these issues?

Specs:

16gb g.skill trident RAM
asrock b450 steel legend
ryzen 5 3600
H510
samsong 970 evo m.2
gigabyte 2060 super
2tb barracuda hard drive
Corsair CX550M PSU

PC is a bit over a year old.

Ralston18

Titan
Event Viewer noted. If you can get a successful boot - look in Reliability History as well.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the PC case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, RAM, connectors, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Remember to check case front panel connections as well.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, pinched or kinked wires, cracks, signs of overheating (browning, blackening components).

Is the current Corsair CX550 the original PSU or the new PSU?

Mar 20, 2021
A few seconds max fan is normal startup behaviour as if hardware reset is pressed. In some cases I faced the situation reset button was mounted critically, partly pressed, pressing the case nearby reset button was resetting the system.

Mar 5, 2021
Event Viewer noted. If you can get a successful boot - look in Reliability History as well.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the PC case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, RAM, connectors, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Remember to check case front panel connections as well.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, pinched or kinked wires, cracks, signs of overheating (browning, blackening components).

Is the current Corsair CX550 the original PSU or the new PSU?

The current one is the original one. The new one stopped working after five minutes. Something to note was that even though the computer wouldn't turn on with the new one, the lights would still stay on.