Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I have a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX L360 ARGB AIO which came with 3X CF120 fans(The ones without holo ring) and planning to get 3 more CF120 Plus fans(The ones with holo ring) will the lights in the pump and all these fans be controlled using Cooler Master MasterPlus Software if I purchase and use the Cooler Master ARGB Controller or Cooler Master ARGB Controller A1?

1. Found that the old CoolerMaster ARGB Controller allows other branded AIO and fans to control lighting but no idea about individual LED and brightness.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cljgwkefa8

2. Found the new CoolerMaster ARGB Controller A1 allows control of individual devices even if they are daisy chained(https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/addressable-gen-2-rgb-led-controller/) but not sure if it will work with other brands
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEHuMADqS4

Any Ides if the old CoolerMaster ARGB Controller will support brightness control and Individual LED control for other branded fans?

Any Idea if the new CoolerMaster ARGB Controller A1 will support other brand fans(like the old one) and let us control everything(Individual LED control, brightness control and recognize multiple fans connected to a single port using a hub/splitter cable)

Last edited:
I have a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX L360 ARGB AIO which came with 3X CF120 fans(The ones without holo ring) and planning to get 3 more CF120 Plus fans(The ones with holo ring) will the lights in the pump and all these fans be controlled using Cooler Master MasterPlus Software if I purchase and use the Cooler Master ARGB Controller?
Will it allow me to control the LED brightness and the effects on Deepcool fans and pump too?
Can't think of why not providing both are ARGB.

Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
What is the difference between "Cooler Master ARGB Controller (Product Code: MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1)" and the "Cooler Master ARGB LED Controller A1 (Product Code: MFY-ACBN-NNUNN-R2)" What are their advantages and disadvantages could you please explain the DIFFERENCES between these 2 Do both of the allow BRIGHTNESS control and individual LED color control? I have a Asus Prime H410M-E Motherboard, Does both of these controllers allow me to control lighting affect if i connect the USB cable to my motherboard and control lighting using MasterPlus+ *My Motherboard does not have any ARGB or RGB headers

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-led-controller/#overview
VS
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/led-controller-a1/#overview

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Both units are to power and control lights ONLY of the Addressable RGB (ADDR RGB, ARGB, Digital RGB) (3-pin 5VDC) type. The first one (Product Code ends in "-R1") was the first design. It has several features more than others like it. It can accept input from a mobo plain RBG (4-pin) header and "translate" those into ARGB output signals, as well as accepting input from a mobo ARGB (3-pin) header, and it can be connected to your case's front panel Reset switch so you can use that (instead of the button on the Controller front) to make manual selections of some display features. It has a temperature sensor you can use to set some display items. It has a USB2 port and cable described as for use in updating the firmware in the unit. AFTER this was on the market Cooler Master released their new software utility MaterPlus+. I once inquired from Cooler Master whether that software, using the USB2 cable connection, could be used for SOFTWARE control of this Controller as other makers have done, and was told yes. However, I still see some people who question that.

The second one (ends in "-R2") is a new version that appears NOT to have any capability to accept input from a mobo lighting header, nor any connector for a Reset switch or a temp sensor. It DOES use a USB2 connection to a mobo header for communication. It appears to be designed totally for control by the new improved version of MasterPlus+ software. Its description says it can do most of what you are asking. Moreover, since this version does not take inputs from any mobo lighting header, it is quite suited to your system, OP.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Both units are to power and control lights ONLY of the Addressable RGB (ADDR RGB, ARGB, Digital RGB) (3-pin 5VDC) type. The first one (Product Code ends in "-R1") was the first design. It has several features more than others like it. It can accept input from a mobo plain RBG (4-pin) header and "translate" those into ARGB output signals, as well as accepting input from a mobo ARGB (3-pin) header, and it can be connected to your case's front panel Reset switch so you can use that (instead of the button on the Controller front) to make manual selections of some display features. It has a temperature sensor you can use to set some display items. It has a USB2 port and cable described as for use in updating the firmware in the unit. AFTER this was on the market Cooler Master released their new software utility MaterPlus+. I once inquired from Cooler Master whether that software, using the USB2 cable connection, could be used for SOFTWARE control of this Controller as other makers have done, and was told yes. However, I still see some people who question that.

The second one (ends in "-R2") is a new version that appears NOT to have any capability to accept input from a mobo lighting header, nor any connector for a Reset switch or a temp sensor. It DOES use a USB2 connection to a mobo header for communication. It appears to be designed totally for control by the new improved version of MasterPlus+ software. Its description says it can do most of what you are asking. Moreover, since this version does not take inputs from any mobo lighting header, it is quite suited to your system, OP.

Thank you for your advice, do you think the coolermasrer ARGB Controller A1 allows to control individual LEDs of my Deepcool L360-ARGB Aio pump and the CF120 Fans and CF120 Plus fans?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I do NOT have any of these lighting systems, so I cannot tell you from personal experience. Further, I could not find a clear description of the difference between original and Gen2 versions of ARGB. What I THINK is involved is that the hardware has been changed. On the original version it was always possible for ONE light strip or fan frame set of LED's to address each LED Node (one coloured light spot) so that at any one moment different colours and brightnesses can be displayed by each Node in the string. Further, IF you had a Controller box with different output ports for lights designed so that different control instruction sets could be output from each port (this was called separate control CHANNELS), each connected light string could be different from ones connected to a different port. BUT on any one port, ALL the strings connected to one port do exactly the same thing.

Now in Gen2 IF both the Controller and the light string are Gen2, what I discern from the illustrations and descriptions is that on any ONE port you can connect several light strings using an ARGB Splitter, and the system will identify each string as a separate string. Thus the Controller can send a different pattern to each string even though they all are on one port. Of course, the ability to address each Node of each string individually is preserved. The result is that, for several light strings (or fan frames) connected by a Splitter to ONE Controller output port, EVERY LED Node can be addressed and controlled separately from all the others. There is, of course, a limit to this, specified in the details of each controller, for the max number of lighting Nodes (many call them simply LED's, even though technically each Node has 3 LED's) that can be dealt with on one output port. This is limited by the max number of distinct addresses the Controller and lighting devices can handle.

OP, the newer model A1 Controller you are interested in has three output ports. As I understand its description, each of these ports is a separate Channel different from the other two, and each has the Gen2 specs. So you have three separate outputs, each able to handle individually a certain max number of LED's in several strings (or fan frames) connected to that port using a ARGB Splitter. Thus for a system with potentially lots of lighting LED's (Nodes) over many fan frames, each LED CAN be controlled individually. So using the software tools supplied with the Controller and a lot of configuration work, you can design quite unique display patterns which, of course, can change over time.

If you go this route and get that equipment, I'd be very interested to see exactly what you can do with them. Lets us know.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I have a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX L360 ARGB AIO which came with 3X CF120 fans(The ones without holo ring) and planning to get 3 more CF120 Plus fans(The ones with holo ring) will the lights in the pump and all these fans be controlled using Cooler Master MasterPlus Software if I purchase and use the Cooler Master ARGB Controller or Cooler Master ARGB Controller A1?

1. Found that the old CoolerMaster ARGB Controller allows other branded AIO and fans to control lighting but no idea about individual LED and brightness.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cljgwkefa8

2. Found the new CoolerMaster ARGB Controller A1 allows control of individual devices even if they are daisy chained(https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/addressable-gen-2-rgb-led-controller/) but not sure if it will work with other brands
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEHuMADqS4

Will the old CoolerMaster ARGB Controller will support brightness control and Individual LED control for other branded fans?

Will the new CoolerMaster ARGB Controller A1 will support other brand fans(like the old one) and let us control everything(Individual LED control, brightness control and recognize multiple fans connected to a single port using a hub/splitter cable)