Question CPU Cooling Recommendation for i7 9700K at 5 mhz

ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Hello People of Tom's Hardware (Again)!

A little over a year ago I posted about a heating issue for the i7 9700k and wanted some advice to cool it down. I resolved this issue by buying a mid-level AIO kraken cooler. Even so, I still have to bring my cooler down to about 4.3 mhz to get it to the temperatures I desire (between 25-40 while idling & between 60-70 while gaming). I had to change my case due to a clearance issue with the AIO kraken. Below are links to my current motherboard and chassis. In the end, I am asking for recommendations on any CPU coolers that could get me my desired temps when my processor is clocked at 5mhz.

Chassis: https://nzxt.com/product/h510
Motherboard: https://a.co/d/cstumZL

Reactions: jnjnilson6

ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
How big is this AIO? Only way to get more performance is to increase the size of the radiator.

Other than that, custom water cooling. Lapping the heat spreader, de-lidding being the more extreme options.

yeah, the current AIO is only 120 mm. I realized that isn’t enough. Do you believe that a 240 mm would be enough to maintain the desired temps at 5mhz?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say, the CPU is designed to do 4.9Ghz on its own, 5Ghz all core shouldn't be that difficult.

A lot depends on how well your chip performs at specific voltages, you have to tinker with it when overclocking and get a feel for it. Each CPU will be a little different.

240mm AIO should be enough to get stock boost profiles and less throttling, that is for sure.

ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Hard to say, the CPU is designed to do 4.9Ghz on its own, 5Ghz all core shouldn't be that difficult.

A lot depends on how well your chip performs at specific voltages, you have to tinker with it when overclocking and get a feel for it. Each CPU will be a little different.

240mm AIO should be enough to get stock boost profiles and less throttling, that is for sure.
Yeah, sometimes it’s a fickle thing. Sometimes when I run the benchmark on the intel extreme tuning utility it seems to reach 90-thermal throttle no matter how low the voltage is. I think I’m going to invest in a 240mm cooler see how it performs.