JavireD

Honorable
Apr 23, 2017
So recently I bought a new PC from someone and it ran really great and the specs are amazing (posted below) the only downfall to me is that it didn't have enough storage and only had a ssd that was a 128gb SSD and Im a person that loves to have games on their PC so I took it to this computer tech place (I trust them they are really good and I always go to them for issues) to install a HDD from my old computer that was a blank and I used it to put games on as well and they all ran well but when the HDD was added to my new PC it seems Like it started acting weird when I put games on it. Just to clarify the HDD was blank and never had a OS on it or anything on it was just used to put games on. But anytime I play games my PC acts weird, when I play overwatch I have to sometimes close the first one and open it again because it takes forever for stuff to load and when I close it it starts an update/verifying files. When i play fortnite it freezes on certain stuff and sometimes crash. When i tried to play GTA it would crash also. All this didn't begin until I installed the HDD but its confusing cause I never had a problem with this HDD. I've master reset the PC twice and it still does this.

The Specs are
CPU : I7 4770k 3.50GHz
GPU : Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Of Ram

also to include I have updated all my drivers.

Solution
If I were to take a guess based only on this post, I would suggest running a few various tests on the HDD and suspect it is starting to fail. If it's over 5 years old, or has a lot of read write to it, I would just replace it and see if your issues resolve.

With that said, if you are running a borderline capability on your PSU it 'might' be part of it. You 'could' have issue with the port you are plugging the HDD into the mobo, so you could try another SATA port, maybe even the cable.

I feel like 128GB SSD is totally workable for a budget build as the OS (only) drive. Thing is that if that HDD is failing, given the pricing on new SSD I certainly wouldn't go back to HDD.
If you install any one of these games to the SSD these issues...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If I were to take a guess based only on this post, I would suggest running a few various tests on the HDD and suspect it is starting to fail. If it's over 5 years old, or has a lot of read write to it, I would just replace it and see if your issues resolve.

With that said, if you are running a borderline capability on your PSU it 'might' be part of it. You 'could' have issue with the port you are plugging the HDD into the mobo, so you could try another SATA port, maybe even the cable.

I feel like 128GB SSD is totally workable for a budget build as the OS (only) drive. Thing is that if that HDD is failing, given the pricing on new SSD I certainly wouldn't go back to HDD.
If you install any one of these games to the SSD these issues don't present?

Solution
The hdd maker will have a diagnostic app.
WD, for example has data lifeguard, seagate has seatools.
Run the diagnostic test to see if anything is failing.
If, for example, there are many relocated sectors, performance can suffer.
How big is the hdd?
With ssd prices down, a HDD is hard to justify for other than bulk storage.
You can, for instance buy a 1tb samsung evo for $110.
You can copy your c drive to it using their ssd migration app.
Other vendors will have something similar.

JavireD

Honorable
Apr 23, 2017

If you install any one of these games to the SSD these issues don't present?
I didnt have these issue until I had the HDD installed its just confusing cause I never had this issue with the PC i took it from

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I didnt have these issue until I had the HDD installed its just confusing cause I never had this issue with the PC i took it from

HDD are very susceptible to shock, and as they age they don't play so well with being powered down, temp changes, etc.
In this particular case, I would install the game causing the most issue onto your SSD, unhook the power cable to the HDD. If the issue resolves you have an easy answer and target a larger SSD.

Reactions: JavireD