Question DXGKRNL FATAL_ERROR Each time I close a game like teardown When I minimize I get nvlddmkm.sys

Sep 2, 2022
So cue back to august 31 I remember putting my laptop sleep mode then coming back to it 3 hours later, only to find out it was not turning on, I had to long press in order for the thing to turn on and the thing turned on but it turned on as if I just turned on my computer, Everything closed out and so on, I went to check the health status of the C drive aka the SSD with crystaldiskinfo and I found the thing is now 79% used to be 80% Even worse, Whenever I play a game and exit I would get a BSOD like DXGKRNL fatal error Or when I minimize only happened once with teardown so I am not sure I would get nvlddmkm.sys And when I use a software like astropad (A thing that turns your ipad into a graphics tablet)I would also get a DXGKRNL Bsod Its becoming a pain at this point, I replaced my old drivers with new updated ones and so far it didn't work, I don't know what to exactly do at this point I am starting to suspect its related to the C drive somehow since this was happening when the c drive's health status went to 79% I would also get the same error when I am on a website, In general the laptop is becoming a bit unusable and I need help

Laptop model: ASUS TUF GAMING FX505GE_FX505GE

Specs:

Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUS) ~2.2GHz
Memory:16384MB RAM
Display1:Intel UHD Graphics 630
Display 2:Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

Heres the dmp file too
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dTbv95bBWEjqL7uLsYiS7S8RoTd-EmXB/view?usp=sharing

I can't really tell personally but I Feel like the culprits are either the drivers, DirectX, Or The Chipset

Colif

Win 11 Master
Completely not unexpected results
report - click run fiddle to see results, if you want.

File: 090222-264031-01.dmp (Sep 2 2022 - 13:45:13)
BugCheck: [VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR (113)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

advice above is just standard, report kicks it out if it finds Cause is Nvidia.

Have you tried using the GPU drivers provided by Asus? If these don't work, it could be a hardware problem.

1% drop on storage isn't that big. Can you share screenshots from crystaldisk

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022
Well same results really no matter what graphic display driver I used hell, I remember way back I used to DXGKRNL when playing games and the only way to fix it was to update my really old nvidia driver from asus to the latest one from nvidia

But this is something completely different

Here is the SSD's Health percent
unknown.png

(The unsafe shutdown count was due to the various of times I got soft locked and what not)

I reinstalled both of nvidia's and intel's display to latest and so far it didn't really work with preventing bluescreens
Remember asking few people out about this and some said it might be driver related, And I even met a person who had a similar problem to mine, And they said its graphics card problem, The only solution was to reinstall windows 10 like doing a full factory reset

I honestly I might suspect that its a windows 10 problem at this point, The 79% drop seems a bit off because I noticed the windows spotlight no longer works normally like its not changing the image at all, Still stuck at this beach image along with it having no captions at all

/sfc scannow and dism didn't work with it, At this I feel like reinstalling windows 10 to a full clean factory reset at this point since thats the advice I got from most people by now

Just not sure if its ok to do it internally instead of using a disk image cloud

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think your ssd health percentage drop is related. Most of the stats under drive look okay

Almost all Direct X errors are GPU drivers. But if you tried all the drivers, there is always chance its a hardware related error. Its why I suggested the Asus drivers.

Just not sure if its ok to do it internally instead of using a disk image cloud
internally?
If you going to clean install windows, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
cloud install is just a reset, it doesn't remove drivers so it wouldn't solve anything. Factory reset is along a similar vein. Better to start clean.

Sep 2, 2022
I don't think your ssd health percentage drop is related. Most of the stats under drive look okay

Almost all Direct X errors are GPU drivers. But if you tried all the drivers, there is always chance its a hardware related error. Its why I suggested the Asus drivers.

internally?
If you going to clean install windows, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
cloud install is just a reset, it doesn't remove drivers so it wouldn't solve anything. Factory reset is along a similar vein. Better to start clean.
But isn't the factory reset supposed to reset everything including my drivers into the original settings? Like thats what it indicates especially the hard factory reset

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022
i guess you can try it. If the option exists still.
Yeah Il try to report back in if I do such thing, Just asking how much space do I need to do a full hard factory reset, And How does the process do I just press on the clear all of my data, And then press restart then wait?

Colif

Win 11 Master
how full are the drives?

It will wipe everything on C and reinstall it

I haven't run a reset... if I have, I don't remember it. I think how long it takes depends on
  1. speed of PC
  2. How much data is on C

it depends how it does it, if it just runs a clear command, it might only take as little as 30 minutes to reinstall windows again. The files it uses are on another location on the drive so it can wipe c completely and start again

Sep 2, 2022
I ha
how full are the drives?

It will wipe everything on C and reinstall it

I haven't run a reset... if I have, I don't remember it. I think how long it takes depends on
  1. speed of PC
  2. How much data is on C
it depends how it does it, if it just runs a clear command, it might only take as little as 30 minutes to reinstall windows again. The files it uses are on another location on the drive so it can wipe c completely and start again
I have both a c and a d drive, And I kinda want to wipe both out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i could guess the other drive is a 1tb hdd but lets just look
  1. right click start
  2. choose disk management
  3. expand the next window so all areas of top and bottom area are visible
  4. take a screenshot and show here.

normally it helps to remove the 2nd hdd when installing windows but it might be difficult in a laptop.

Once I know layout of the drives, I will suggest a plan of action.

Sep 2, 2022
  1. right click start
normally it helps to remove the 2nd hdd when installing windows but it might be difficult in a laptop.

Heyo just did the reset and first thing first, Yes It did require some space I had cleared some few and I did the reset, But the good news is that it sort of worked I am still not sure honestly but I played broforce for like 20 and 40 minutes and so far it didn't bluescreen on me when exiting So I guess its fixed tho I am unsure to be honest but that just might be me.

Yeah I did a full factory reset, Windows spotlight is working again I guess? I am not seeing the usual text of windows telling you about a certain location but the background did change.

So I guess I did fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, reset won't have touched the other drive so its your choice if you wipe it or not.

If you decide to do it, you can clear D drive this way:
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads PC into a blue menu
Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.
restart PC.

Sep 2, 2022
well, reset won't have touched the other drive so its your choice if you wipe it or not.

If you decide to do it, you can clear D drive this way:
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads PC into a blue menu
Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.
restart PC.

Again I did clear everything there was an option to clear out the second drive when I passed through the local or cloud reinstall choice, Again so far windows 10 just works now as if it always was, Games don't blue screen after I exit (I played broforce twice like 20 and 40 minutes) And the only problem is that broforce was not producing audio and I don't know how to deal with that exactly but other than that its no longer bluescreening each time I exit the game

I managed to get everything fixed (expect game audio of course) but I am still curious about why would long pressing sleepmode cause such thing and what was the exact problem affecting it, If factory reseting the laptop fixed it then what made it BSOD each time I exit a game before I factory reset it in the first place? Mind you display drivers are still updated too and they work fine

As for the windows spotlight I did sort of fix it like the background is no longer the shoddy beach and its a nice green mountain with rivers around it, Tho the things like the usual text that mentions about the place are not appearing and I am not sure if the thing would change later on?

Colif

Win 11 Master
As for the windows spotlight I did sort of fix it like the background is no longer the shoddy beach and its a nice green mountain with rivers around it, Tho the things like the usual text that mentions about the place are not appearing and I am not sure if the thing would change later on?
see if answer here helps - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ption-is/655095b6-8492-45ba-aaa6-f9c2b947f115

The problem could have been another driver conflicting. resetting means it might have removed a driver that shouldn't have been there.

I didn't know you could clear from there. I rarely do resets. Prefer clean installs.

Sep 2, 2022
see if answer here helps - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ption-is/655095b6-8492-45ba-aaa6-f9c2b947f115

The problem could have been another driver conflicting. resetting means it might have removed a driver that shouldn't have been there.

I didn't know you could clear from there. I rarely do resets. Prefer clean installs.
Nvm the thing didn't work I bluescreened again playing minecraft, I don't know I am hopeless at this point I Feel like replacing everything like both of my VGAs, My ram, And so on I feel hopeless.

Sep 2, 2022
  1. right click start

Sorry also the duplicate post was due to my internet
At this point yeah get a store to check it, As in get a new laptop a week later because said guy wasn't even able to know what was the problem

Also yes same thing DXGKRNL FATAL_ERROR

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wish there was another operating system we could test this on. Linux doesn't put enough strain on parts to prove anything.

I don't think its windows, I think its the GPU itself.
I was reading this
Display 2:Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
as you having 2 GTX 1050 TI in there. I knew some laptops did so I didn't question it. Seems I need sleep.

Isn't there another repair store nearby?

Sep 2, 2022
I wish there was another operating system we could test this on. Linux doesn't put enough strain on parts to prove anything.

I don't think its windows, I think its the GPU itself.
I was reading this

as you having 2 GTX 1050 TI in there. I knew some laptops did so I didn't question it. Seems I need sleep.

Isn't there another repair store nearby?
Hi I know a bit of a logn time since I have posted but I can confirm some few things

I did a reset on my windows and so far I remember the error stayed and games like broforce had no audio, Here is a thign when I was installing spelunky just incase to give the thing as a test to my computer repair shop, I noticed an error asking me about a missing input, So I reinstalled DirectX and so far I was not receiving any bluescreens about DXGKRNL from games like minecraft and so on, But there was something else

I tried teardown while it didn't give me a DXGKRNL the thing crashed and then it gave me a driver power state failure

And I tried yuzu with botw incase and when I was testing it the game was running fine, And then it crashed but nothing happened I assumed it was nothing and went on till something happened in like 10 minutes and I can't tell if its related but my touchpad stopped working

And I got the same bluescreen error as teardown

DRIVER_POWER STATE_FAILURE

I don't know whats exactly causing this but something is off to be honest and I can't explain how, And the very weird part is that I tried dead island definitive edition while that game is like heavy and even uses nvidia the thing works as if its nothing and didn't crash on me so far why would yuzu and teardown do? And why would both of them be affected by drives as some would say knowing from that message?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
play game that causes BSOD and give me the results and I see what they show.

if you reset windows, it could be you missing some drivers. Or have older ones. I can look once I get dumps.

Sep 2, 2022
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
play game that causes BSOD and give me the results and I see what they show.

if you reset windows, it could be you missing some drivers. Or have older ones. I can look once I get dumps.
Heyo here is the DMP file
https://anonfiles.com/6dk75a77yd/NicePeace_7z

I feel like I do have some corrupted or like non functioning drivers because the thing is, I noticed geforce experience was there and when I logged in into it, I checked the drivers section and saw that there is no like driver information tab, And I can't even reinstall said driver giving me a "download failed"

I so far have the latest version of the nvidia driver installer just waiting for what to do exactly

Colif

Win 11 Master
results - click run as fiddle to read report
File: 091022-9984-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 11:24:33)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)]
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

File: 090622-9937-01.dmp (Sep 6 2022 - 15:00:27)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)]
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

Why do you have McAfee & ESET on the system?
Jan 27 2018mfeavfk.sysAnti-Virus File System Filter driver (McAfee, Inc.) https://www.mcafee.com/
ESEt is at least this year. I would take McAfee off.

download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
run this and see if its got anything new - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Sep 2, 2022
I didn't even notice mcafee was installed, When I factory reset my PC I just noticed that message pops up between asus and mcafee and that was already a bad sign (Oh and I just looked up the relation between mcafee and asus, Yeah pretty disappointed in asus on that one.

I have also reinstalled my nvidia driver and so far, Strangely enough the thing works fine on teardown no bluescreens no nothing and geforce experience detects my game just fine, I am not sure about yuzu on the other hand but I will have to see

I will send in a report later, As for the intel link, Funny enough when I reinstalled the thing windows downgraded my intel display driver back to its original manufacturer version

(Sorry if I didn't use the reply button too, For some reason The forum keeps suspecting its a spam link)

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might want to consider a clean install, it would remove all the old drivers and force windows to get newer ones.
Might be faster than trying to figure out which drive is to blame.

(Sorry if I didn't use the reply button too, For some reason The forum keeps suspecting its a spam link)
okay, it shouldn't but since I am only other person replying, I will read the answers anyway.

Sep 2, 2022
You might want to consider a clean install, it would remove all the old drivers and force windows to get newer ones.
Might be faster than trying to figure out which drive is to blame.

okay, it shouldn't but since I am only other person replying, I will read the answers anyway.
This actually might be my nuclear option at this point

But so far, I haven't faced anything with yuzu too nor teardown, I tried mafia and that thing didn't BSOD (Despite using intels driver) on me too, I really feel like this was all directx + the two display drivers that have been affected by this, I am still suspicious over this and even worried to install drivers for things like ds4windows or astropad

Its like I am playing whack a mole but the moles are not popping up but they do have a chance to do so.