Question External Wall Powered HDD’s will not power up (spinning or nothing). Haven’t been used in a very long time and haven’t moved much. #nottechsavvy

Apr 9, 2024
So I used to DJ quite a bit back in the day….I have two Seagate Wall Powered External Harddrives and Two LaCie Wall Powered External Harddrives

These drives haven’t been on for at least 8 years. I try to plug them in and nothing. They don’t power on or anything. Tried different cables, different power cables and switched it around.

These drives haven’t been powered up in a long time. Is it just the actual power supply that is damaged or the enclosure or the port where the cable goes or did I lose my data. And Yes, both originals and backups are not powering up. Any help would be amazing. I just hope all my music isn’t lost on there. Like I said, they haven’t been powered on in close to a decade.

Thanks

Update: Extremely faint burning smell when plugged in. I am not tech savvy so please explain in Laymen’s Terms. As long as data is recoverable, I’ll find money to fix

Apr 9, 2024
It sounds like you may have used the wrong adaptor. It should be 12V, centre positive. If you have used a 19V laptop adaptor, then ...

TVS Diode FAQ:

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86
Yea…because I have multiple powered adapters for different things.

Question. This is the power supply needed for one of the drives.

(https://www.lacie.com/support/kb/identifying-my-power-supply-007356en/

Do I have to make sure all of those numbers match exactly or can like the output or volts or amp be more? Does it have to meet the exact specifications?

And in short….basically all I need to do is switch out the power supply? Sorry not real good with technical terms. Thanks man.

Your Lacie drive appears to be using a 5V supply. Is it a 2.5" model, or 3.5"?

In any case, you need to remove the drives from their enclosures.

As for your other questions, read my FAQ. The chances of a full DIY recovery are usually very good.

Apr 9, 2024
Your Lacie drive appears to be using a 5V supply. Is it a 2.5" model, or 3.5"?

In any case, you need to remove the drives from their enclosures.

As for your other questions, read my FAQ. The chances of a full DIY recovery are usually very good.
Here are the links to the drives:

https://www.storagereview.com/review/lacie-blade-runner-by-philippe-starck-review

https://www.laciestorage.com/P9230.asp

The third hard drive I can’t find but it’s Seagate Backup Plus Desk 4TB. The important thing is model number. Looked all over google and can’t find this exact model. SRD0PV0. I think I bought this around 2009 maybe earlier. Thanks

You will need to remove each drive from its enclosure. Your links suggest that the required power supply is 12V. I don't understand where the 5V adaptor comes from, unless the missing third drive is a 2.5" type. That said, all the external 2.5" HDDs I've encountered have been powered from the USB port.

Apr 9, 2024
You will need to remove each drive from its enclosure. Your links suggest that the required power supply is 12V. I don't understand where the 5V adaptor comes from, unless the missing third drive is a 2.5" type. That said, all the external 2.5" HDDs I've encountered have been powered from the USB port

Apr 9, 2024
I want to thank you for your quick responses. So I have to say I have Bad News. I took two of the drives to the PC shop here in town and they said they were gonna try and get the data off. They called me two hrs later saying that after taking the enclosure apart, they connected each drive to there computer and it automatically shut there computer down. I don’t know exactly how that happens, but he said as soon as he connected one of the drives to his PC, his entire PC would shut down. So yeah, both of the drives are fried. The bad news is it was both the original and backup. The good news is I am going through a Data recovery service and while the cost looks to be expensive (anywhere from $500-$2800) it is actually worth it because the value of the music on the drive is at least 10X that. I just sent the drives away and they will diagnose both for free and because they both have the same data on them, I only need to recover one of the drives. Based on the symptoms I described, sounds like it might be middle of the road. It’s a big chunk of change but a lot of that music is remixes and stuff you can’t find anymore.

I just wanted to give you an update and let you know what the result was. I will update this thread as soon as the data recovery service tells me the problem and price. Maybe it can help someone in the future.

I also want to point out I have about 10 Total drives (5 wall powered and 5 usb powered)….all of these drives were all kept together in a storage bin. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE WALL POWERED EXTERNALS DIED ON ME (luckily I only need one for data recovery because I have backups of the others) but the only thing I can think of is plugging the wrong cable into these drives damaged all the data. It’s also important to note that all of these drives were purchased around 2012 and a couple I think 2008-2009. They got used a lot up until 2012 and then a little bit until 2015 and not at all since other than a handful of times.

Sorry for long message but just wanted to share that with you. The music is tracks I purchased not only collectively but also single tracks (pay money for one song) and there is just a lot of money invested here. Anyways, not end of the world. Not yet anyway. Haha

Actually, your "bad news" was good news. The fact that your HDD shut down your PSU means that the 12V TVS diode is most likely shorted. All you needed to do was to snip the shorted diode with flush cutters, as instructed in my FAQ. That would have cost you NOTHING. That's the reason I wrote my FAQ.

TRENDING THREADS