Question Getting speeds through modem but not to devices

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
We have spectrum and can only have spectrum or trust me I would have switched. We have the gigabit plan (940 megabits) but have been getting 140mb max through a hardwired desktop even straight from the modem. Bought a new WiFi 6 router as well with no change. Charter tech came out today and his laptop, 2 phones and the charter meter all hit around 700-800mb. Why would someone else’s devices work great but our own have a terrible connection.

I have tested my phone, my brothers desktop, my desktop, and my mother’s phone and the fastest we ever got was 250mb on my mother’s phone which is faster than the desktop somehow. I’m more confused than ever and will take any help I can get.

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI performance is dependent on the router and the client. 400Mbit performance for WIFI is about all you will ever get with ANY client. Any desire for performance above that requires wired connectivity.

What exact model(s) of hosts or devices are you trying to connect via WIFI?

A WIFI6 router is not going to perform any better than an AC router with today's devices.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
WIFI performance is dependent on the router and the client. 400Mbit performance for WIFI is about all you will ever get with ANY client. Any desire for performance above that requires wired connectivity.

What exact model(s) of hosts or devices are you trying to connect via WIFI?

A WIFI6 router is not going to perform any better than an AC router with today's devices.

I know wifi6 is futureproofing I just stated that so people know it is new and a good router. Wifi is honestly not even the problem, i would like it faster but the wired connections are more what is frustrating.

kanewolf

Titan
I know wifi6 is futureproofing I just stated that so people know it is new and a good router. Wifi is honestly not even the problem, i would like it faster but the wired connections are more what is frustrating.
There are a couple of things that repeatedly pop up with ethernet performance.
Do you have killer brand hardware? If so that can impact.
Do you have Asus "Game First" software installed? If so that can impact.
The other thing is Windows "autotuning" Search for "ethernet global autotuninglevel" setting to "normal" helps many people.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
There are a couple of things that repeatedly pop up with ethernet performance.
Do you have killer brand hardware? If so that can impact.
Do you have Asus "Game First" software installed? If so that can impact.
The other thing is Windows "autotuning" Search for "ethernet global autotuninglevel" setting to "normal" helps many people.
I do have killer, no asus game software, and autotuning is disabled. I've gotten 900 down before so I don't think those are the problems.

kanewolf

Titan
I do have killer, no asus game software, and autotuning is disabled. I've gotten 900 down before so I don't think those are the problems.
killer network hardware can definitely be a problem if you have anything beyond the basic driver.
Your cable could be the problem. There are TONS of fake cables sold. If you have a flat cable, it may be the problem. If you have any in-wall cabling, that could also be the problem.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
killer network hardware can definitely be a problem if you have anything beyond the basic driver.
Your cable could be the problem. There are TONS of fake cables sold. If you have a flat cable, it may be the problem. If you have any in-wall cabling, that could also be the problem.

yea its none of that idk how many times I have to tell you its not that basic stuff. Read the original again pls. A piece of <Mod Edit> laptop is getting 700 and my custom built pc is getting 130 randomly. When the same pc has gotten 900 down before

Last edited by a moderator:

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
Guys I tested it on 2 different computers and 3 phones and the speeds are all slow. Its not a hardware thing or a cable thing. I've tested like 5 or 6 different cables from router or modem or both.

kanewolf

Titan
Guys I tested it on 2 different computers and 3 phones and the speeds are all slow. Its not a hardware thing or a cable thing. I've tested like 5 or 6 different cables from router or modem or both.
If everything is slow then it can only be either your router hardware or your router config. Have you factory reset the router and set just the admin password, SSID and password. Nothing else.
You may be frustrated by "basic" questions, but we can't see what you see or know EXACTLY what you have done. We are trying to be very methodical in the approach.
You never identified exactly which router you purchased.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
If everything is slow then it can only be either your router hardware or your router config. Have you factory reset the router and set just the admin password, SSID and password. Nothing else.
You may be frustrated by "basic" questions, but we can't see what you see or know EXACTLY what you have done. We are trying to be very methodical in the approach.
You never identified exactly which router you purchased.
did u read my first post my man. The old router we had we got these speeds. We bouth a new 400$ router. Same speeds. Its not the router.
asus ax11000

kanewolf

Titan
did u read my first post my man. The old router we had we got these speeds. We bouth a new 400$ router. Same speeds. Its not the router.
asus ax11000
You haven't left any parts. You say you have tried all possible cables. Several routers. Several clients. None of those fixes it. There is nothing left.
It isn't the router hardware -- But, the one possibility is that you have done something in configuring your routers -- PLURAL. You are the only item in common that can't be swapped.
Did you try the factory reset with minimal configs?
There are many router settings which will cause the CPU on the router to have to process every packet. If you have traffic logging, or any QOS, or other features enabled you can cause the router CPU to have to deal with every packet. A factory reset will set it to configs which should allow hardware offload to work.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
You haven't left any parts. You say you have tried all possible cables. Several routers. Several clients. None of those fixes it. There is nothing left.
It isn't the router hardware -- But, the one possibility is that you have done something in configuring your routers -- PLURAL. You are the only item in common that can't be swapped.
Did you try the factory reset with minimal configs?
There are many router settings which will cause the CPU on the router to have to process every packet. If you have traffic logging, or any QOS, or other features enabled you can cause the router CPU to have to deal with every packet. A factory reset will set it to configs which should allow hardware offload to work.
I factory reset the new router earlier today and same speeds. I apolagize if I seem impatient. I generally am good at troubleshooting and this is my last resort, I’m just as confused as you.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
Do you know if your WAN IP is an IPV4 or an IPV6 ? Is your WAN DHCP or PPPOE? Do you have to adjust your WAN MTU ?
The wan is ip4 and the connection type is auto, not sure if a different setting would be better. As far as DHCP or PPPOE I am unaware but trying to look and find where I could answer that. As for your last question I'm assuming I don't have to adjust but also not 100% sure.