baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
As of writing this, I currently have a somewhat limited experience with my PC due to horrible ping. It becomes really noticeable in CSGO, my main game of choice when I play. When other people are on the network, I get ~110-200 ping with spikes up to 500+ ping, depending on the specific moment of time. I live with a family of 4 other people with a bunch of electronic devices. Just tonight, while everyone else was asleep, I went into a CSGO match and averaged ~80-90 ping with spikes up to 400 ping.

I am currently using a Netgear R6400 router(not sure about the modem, honestly not even sure we have one... there is an ethernet cable(I believe) that runs from a wall outlet into a black box(there is no model number or anything, not really sure what it is) and then another cable from that into my router).

My ISP is Utah Broadband and we are paying for 15Mbps down and 2Mbps down(even though there have been moments where the connection drops down to a whole whopping ~5Mps down)

I am currently using a Netgear AC1200 for my connection(WIFI Adapter).

The router is located on the opposite side of my house; my PC is located on the top floor along with my router but on the opposite side of the house.

I am currently wondering what I can do in order to try and cut this ping down. I'm wondering if I should either:

- Invest in a Powerline Adapter(house was built in 2000)

- Run a long a** cable from the router to my room(not so sure about feasibility)

- Upgrade wifi service

- Perhaps contact ISP and see if are able to move the router into my room(again, feasibility)

I am open to any and all suggestions, as long as they are somewhat helpful.

SIDE NOTE:

There are what seems to be either ethernet or phone line wall plates in almost every room in my house... is there a way for me to run ethernet through them? It would be very handy if I could do that.

IMAGES OF ROUTER, CABLE BOXES #1 AND #2 AND WALL PLATES

Solution
In theory but the first challenge is figuring out which wire goes where so you know which wire to hook up.

I for some reason did not notice you had photos attached. You might actually have 2 ethernet cables to each room. Likely a blue and a yellow one. Looking at what they did it appears you have a DSL connection. that they spliced into one of the cables I am going to bet there is a blue cable on the top port of that wall jack that goes back to this closet. You should be able to plug that second port into the router lan port and then go back to this box and use a rj45 coupler and hook it to another room. You could also just put a small switch in the box and hook up all your rooms.

After looking at the photo again you...
You have a couple problems.

First and likely most important is your internet connection is way too small for that many people. Even a couple people watching normal resolution video will eat it. You can't even attempt to watch 4k video it is so small. With only a 2mbps upload if even 1 person runs video chat it will use most it not all of it.

I would see if there is any option to increase this. Unless you can get a huge connection say more than 200mbps you are still going to need to get some agreement as to who can use the internet when.

The wifi can be a problem both because of interference with other devices in your house and device outside your house. Even in the best situation you will occasional spikes in games.

Powerline adapater tend to be the simplest. The newer av2 models tend to work well in most houses. They started to use the ground wire in addition to the other leads to transmit data and it solved a lot of the problems when you are on different circuit breakers. It works very well for most people but is one of those try it and see and if not return them.

The cables in the wall might be usable. If they are actual ethernet there should be a central cabenet where they all run to. Phone jacks can also be installed that way and many times can be converted. Now the old way to put phone in was to run the cable room to room and splice the cable behind each jack. You can take a couple plates off and see if there is more than 1 wire coming into the box. If there are 2 or more connected to the same jack then they are daisy chained and will be extremely hard if not impossible to use for ethernet.

baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
You have a couple problems.

First and likely most important is your internet connection is way too small for that many people. Even a couple people watching normal resolution video will eat it. You can't even attempt to watch 4k video it is so small. With only a 2mbps upload if even 1 person runs video chat it will use most it not all of it.

I would see if there is any option to increase this. Unless you can get a huge connection say more than 200mbps you are still going to need to get some agreement as to who can use the internet when.

Just got off the phone with my ISP, upgraded to a new plan for ~30Mps down and 5Mbps up for $79.95/mth(Previously only $59.99). Hopefully this will allow a little bit more flex with our situation. We don't have a lot of options here for ISP's in our location, unfortunately. We have UBB(the service we are currently using) and there is a service called Wicked Fast Internet(a lot more expensive, especially with install fee) but they provide a slightly faster service.

The cables in the wall might be usable. If they are actual ethernet there should be a central cabenet where they all run to. Phone jacks can also be installed that way and many times can be converted. Now the old way to put phone in was to run the cable room to room and splice the cable behind each jack. You can take a couple plates off and see if there is more than 1 wire coming into the box. If there are 2 or more connected to the same jack then they are daisy chained and will be extremely hard if not impossible to use for ethernet.

Just opened the one up in my wall, there is a yellow ethernet cable connected to the bottom port and a mess of phone lines connected to the top port(I think it was just how the cable was spliced). Does this provide you with any information on if ethernet is feasible?

If there is only 1 yellow cable then you have a chance. Now the larger challenge is finding the other end of that wire. Most times these are in panels near the power but they can also be in closets or garage. This is one of those search every room and look for a metal box in the wall. The cables could also just be hanging loose someplace but I would think you would have noticed that.

baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
If there is only 1 yellow cable then you have a chance. Now the larger challenge is finding the other end of that wire. Most times these are in panels near the power but they can also be in closets or garage. This is one of those search every room and look for a metal box in the wall. The cables could also just be hanging loose someplace but I would think you would have noticed that.

Look at the second cable box... There are some yellow and blue wires there, would I hook one of them up to my router and be able to run ethernet through my walls?

In theory but the first challenge is figuring out which wire goes where so you know which wire to hook up.

I for some reason did not notice you had photos attached. You might actually have 2 ethernet cables to each room. Likely a blue and a yellow one. Looking at what they did it appears you have a DSL connection. that they spliced into one of the cables I am going to bet there is a blue cable on the top port of that wall jack that goes back to this closet. You should be able to plug that second port into the router lan port and then go back to this box and use a rj45 coupler and hook it to another room. You could also just put a small switch in the box and hook up all your rooms.

After looking at the photo again you might be able to figure out the cables by looking at the distance markings. Each cable has a number that shows how much cable is left in the box. If say one end is 1200 and you know the cable length is about 75ft then the other end should be 1275 or 1125

Solution

baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018

After looking at the photo again you might be able to figure out the cables by looking at the distance markings. Each cable has a number that shows how much cable is left in the box. If say one end is 1200 and you know the cable length is about 75ft then the other end should be 1275 or 1125

Called my ISP, said that they would be able to come in and take a look at this and see what they could do after the Coronavirus thing all blows over. Thanks for your help!