andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Monitor: Acer XFA240 (1080p, 144hz, 1ms)
GPU: RTX 2060S
MOBO: MSI Z390
CPU: 9600k
RAM: Corsair DDR4 3200mhz

I do believe this is, what is referred to as, 'ghosting', but correct me if i'm wrong:

I am experiencing very noticeable ghosting on this monitor. I haven't seen many topics of people with this monitor pertaining to issues/recommended settings. I've tried the Tom's Hardware recommended settings, as well as the one guy on reddit who posted his.
I am using the original display port cable (i believe you have to use the DP to get the 144hz?) it's obviously plugged into my 2060. I've had this monitor for a few months now.
I cannot recall if it did it right out of the box, but after a week or two, I remember that it had bad ghosting issues. It mostly pertains to when im on the web, i.e., when i'm using google search and scrolling, the black text on the white background 'bleeds' horribly leaving by a streak of 'ghosting' which leaves me seeing a colorful spot of where the text was just milliseconds before.

View: https://imgur.com/a/65wms1S

I took this video in slo-mo on my iPhone 8 about a few inches from the screen. I didn't know a good way to capture the ghosting. So this is a frozen shot of whats going on. So, ignore the fact that the image itself is blurry, I understand sticking ur phone camera up to the screen makes the monitor look like crap.

The issue is the area directly around the text, which is highlighted. It 'drags' along behind the text for a long enough time that it's cumbersome to the eyes. I would of thought that with a modern day monitor with 144hz and 1ms refresh rate this issue wouldn't be happening, but here we are.

So, if anyone has any recommendations let me know.
Do you believe the cable is bad?
Is the monitor just cheap and performs poorly with this?
Do you think there is any setting I can tweak to fix this?
I've played around with the settings a bit. It seems I might be able to suppress the ghosting slightly, but it is always noticeable.

Thanks for your time.

mspencerl87

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Things to try.
Try changing cables
Try different input on monitor (If multiple inputs present)
Try a different output on graphics card
Try resetting the monitor to factory defaults settings
Try lowering the Refresh rate in Windows and Nvidia Control to something like 60hz

If all else fails, try another monitor. If it does it on another monitor with a different cable.
Chances are its the graphics card.
If it doesn't, chances are its the monitor.

Last edited:

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Switched DP cables, no change.
Tried HDMI, no change
Tried 60hz, made it significantly worse.
Tried a different DP on the GPU
I've attempted resetting monitor to default settings. Not sure if a certain setting helps with the ghosting
My LG 24UD58 (4k) monitor also has ghosting problems that are even more apparent, although it is only 60hz.

Do you really think its the GPU? This 2060S is only a few months old and I bought it new.

Any other ideas? or are both of these monitors just kinda junky?

Thanks for the help.

A GPU shouldn't cause ghosting. It sends a digital signal to the monitor, and the image sent to the monitor isn't going to have ghosting pre-applied. : P

That's going to be the result of the screen's pixel transitions being too slow, or otherwise inaccurate. You might try adjusting the screen's "overdrive" setting. Lowering it to a slower setting should generally result in more ghosting but less overshoot, while raising it to a faster setting can result in less ghosting, but more overshoot. Too much overshoot can create an "inverse ghosting" effect itself though.

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
By default on my Acer monitor, Overdrive was greyed out. I found out I have to turn off FreeSync (which this monitor is actually G-Sync compatible), so I turned off G-Sync, allowing me to edit the Overdrive in the monitor OSD settings. I tried OFF, Normal and Extreme. They might of tweaked the amount of ghosting I was seeing ever so slightly, but none of the 3 settings seemed to make a noticeable difference.

jhay98

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
By default on my Acer monitor, Overdrive was greyed out. I found out I have to turn off FreeSync (which this monitor is actually G-Sync compatible), so I turned off G-Sync, allowing me to edit the Overdrive in the monitor OSD settings. I tried OFF, Normal and Extreme. They might of tweaked the amount of ghosting I was seeing ever so slightly, but none of the 3 settings seemed to make a noticeable difference.
I have the same issue. Did you ever find a fix?