Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
I just recently made a new build with a ryzen 7 5700x and an rtx 3080 10gb, everything is running fine until recently my psu started making this buzzing or static noise, its coming right from where the power cord is connected and its not the cord i checked with a different one, the noise is there, it comes and goes away , very random. i've checked in the idle as well as under heavy loads and its the same, randomly comes and goes.

is my psu gonna fry or something? its just a month old.

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
That is from a line of known units with problems. Does the PSU have a manufacturing date on it?

Coil whine is possible with PSUs as well as GPUs, but I would suggest returning that for a different PSU. RM850x is my usually recommendation and it happens to be on the cheaper side for high end 850W right now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI
i checked the seriel number of my unit and its not the one from the faulty batch.

Pururaj Hello. Gigabyte makes some fantastic products, but you literally couldn't pay me to run a Gigabyte PSU in my own rig; especially that particular model. I admit that I do not know whether this specific power supply is the cause of your reported issue. But with all due respect, you've made the poor decision to purchase that power supply, and continuing to use it is an equally poor decision.

If I were in your situation, I would reach out to the retailer and request a return, then I would use that credit to purchase a higher quality unit. Normally when a return is granted, it must be shipped to the retailer at the customer's expense. But since problems with this specific manufacturer/model of power supply is well documented, perhaps you could convince them to allow the return while also supplying you with a shipping label that's paid at their own expense.

Regardless of whether or not you have the opportunity to return the power supply, there is absolutely no way that I would run that unit in my own system; not even if it were given to me for free. I agree with Eximo that the Corsair RM850x is the minimum PSU that I would consider for a high-end Nvidia 30 series GPU. Just last month I gifted that exact same model to a friend who is only running a RTX 3060 Ti. Good luck.

Addendum: I apologize if my response above came across as rude; it was not my intention. I just have an affinity for PC hardware, and I get concerned when a part can potentially cause damage to all of the other components, or someone's home. If you have any further questions in this message thread, I promise that my future responses will be more constructive.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Chesterfield
Pururaj Hello. Gigabyte makes some fantastic products, but you literally couldn't pay me to run a Gigabyte PSU in my own rig; especially that particular model. I admit that I do not know whether this specific power supply is the cause of your reported issue. But with all due respect, you've made the poor decision to purchase that power supply, and continuing to use it is an equally poor decision.

If I were in your situation, I would reach out to the retailer and request a return, then I would use that credit to purchase a higher quality unit. Normally when a return is granted, it must be shipped to the retailer at the customer's expense. But since problems with this specific manufacturer/model of power supply is well documented, perhaps you could convince them to allow the return while also supplying you with a shipping label that's paid at their own expense.

Regardless of whether or not you have the opportunity to return the power supply, there is absolutely no way that I would run that unit in my own system; not even if it were given to me for free. I agree with Eximo that the Corsair RM850x is the minimum PSU that I would consider for a high-end Nvidia 30 series GPU. Just last month I gifted that exact same model to a friend who is only running a RTX 3060 Ti. Good luck.

Addendum: I apologize if my response above came across as rude; it was not my intention. I just have an affinity for PC hardware, and I get concerned when a part can potentially cause damage to all of the other components, or someone's home. If you have any further questions in this message thread, I promise that my future responses will be more constructive.

Good effort, but he knows better..