Sep 27, 2020
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and came here because I didn’t know where else to go to get in depth knowledge short of extensive research. I want to preface this by saying I am 20, not entirely new to PC gaming or building PCs, and have money burning a hole in my pocket intent on getting an upgrade soon. I am currently running an i5-8600k with a 6gb gigabyte GTX 1060. I have a 1080p 144hz monitor and I primarily play multiplayer games such as Modern Warfare, Warzone specifically, some DayZ, am planning on getting Halo Infinite whenever that releases, and I enjoy some major AAA titles like Battlefield. I know it’s exceptionally overkill for my monitor, but I was hoping to get an RTX 3080, but we all know how that went. I got to thinking and realized I may be better off getting a newer card. I am looking for some help picking a card out as I want overkill so I can max it out but I don’t want to pay $1000 on a card now without being positive it is going to be good for at least 2-3 years. I was thinking a used 2080 Ti or a new/used 2080 Super. Any suggestions, knowledge, and in depth explanations are welcome and encouraged! Also my profile picture is of my 9 year old Dachshund named Susie, I figured more people deserved to see her :^)

Solution
3080 is an overkill like you said and you'd have to upgrade quite a few parts more to take full advantage of it aside from the monitor. Don't want a top of the line GPU just to be bottlenecked by the CPU. Also gotta make sure your PSU can handle it as well.

Look at the 3070 which is half the price of the 2080 Ti and slightly better performance apparently. Launches October 2020. There's also news of 3060 Ti which is same as 2080 Ti but even cheaper than the 3070 (rumors still but good to look out for).

Aside from those, AMD is also launching their new RX 6000 series lineup. Since you don't wanna spend $1000 or more, I'd recommend just waiting and seeing all the benchmarks first before deciding. Unless you can battle against bots to...

Hakou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3080 is an overkill like you said and you'd have to upgrade quite a few parts more to take full advantage of it aside from the monitor. Don't want a top of the line GPU just to be bottlenecked by the CPU. Also gotta make sure your PSU can handle it as well.

Look at the 3070 which is half the price of the 2080 Ti and slightly better performance apparently. Launches October 2020. There's also news of 3060 Ti which is same as 2080 Ti but even cheaper than the 3070 (rumors still but good to look out for).

Aside from those, AMD is also launching their new RX 6000 series lineup. Since you don't wanna spend $1000 or more, I'd recommend just waiting and seeing all the benchmarks first before deciding. Unless you can battle against bots to grab one of those cards, not like you can buy one right now anyways.

Solution
3080 is primarily for 4k resolution gaming. It has diminishing returns at 2k and especially at 1080p.
3070 sounds more up your alley, but if you want a machine to take you into the future game-wise, I would aim to make atleast a 2k system.
So, 2k monitor, 3080, new cpu (I like me some intel), new mobo, new ram. Easy day.
Maybe some nice new shiny SSDs, maybe a M2 SSD for the OS and 2 1TB 2.5" SSDs for games.
That's my set up, pretty much. Atleast until the perfect 4k monitor for me releases.