[SOLVED] GPU fan ramps up to 100% during CPU post (4-6 sec) Ryzen 3600 and RX 5700 XT

D

Deleted member 1416470

I just build a full amd system with a ryzen 3600 and a RX5700XT. The problem is the graphics cards ramps up to 100% during the post, however after the post it just goes back to normal fan speeds and it works perfectly fine in windows. I've seen other posts on reddit. Some people say its normal others say its a BIOS bug. I've contacted some people who had a similiar build (third gen ryzen and 5700 series GPU) and they do not have this issue.

Setup:
MSI mortar b450m Max
Ryzen 3600
Gigabyte RX 5700 XT gaming 8GB OC
Corsair RM750x
Gskill 16gb 3200mhz

Is there some way to turn this off?

Solution
Here, my only guess would be that GPU detects that it's installed in modern MoBo and thus also uses it's safeguard.

Rough example: if you'd sit in a '55 Chevy Bel Air, you wouldn't fasten your seat belt since it doesn't have any. If you'd sit into modern car with seat belts, you'd fasten it. But when grandpa sits into modern car, he doesn't fasten his seat belt since he is used to his '55 Chevy Bel Air not having seat belts.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reason why GPU gives fans 100% voltage on start-up is because some fans won't start spinning until they get the full 12V for few seconds. Look it as a built-in safeguard.

I have my case fans rigged up this way where all my 6x 140mm fans will get full 12V for 3sec at start up. It makes the fan failure detection very easy. Also, i don't think you can disable this safeguard on your GPU.

D

Deleted member 1416470

Reason why GPU gives fans 100% voltage on start-up is because some fans won't start spinning until they get the full 12V for few seconds. Look it as a built-in safeguard.

I have my case fans rigged up this way where all my 6x 140mm fans will get full 12V for 3sec at start up. It makes the fan failure detection very easy. Also, i don't think you can disable this safeguard on your GPU.

Yeah I thought so too, but here is the weird thing: if I put the new card in my old system it doesn't happen and if I put my old card in the new system it also doesn't happen. It only happens when i put my new card in the new system.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here, my only guess would be that GPU detects that it's installed in modern MoBo and thus also uses it's safeguard.

Rough example: if you'd sit in a '55 Chevy Bel Air, you wouldn't fasten your seat belt since it doesn't have any. If you'd sit into modern car with seat belts, you'd fasten it. But when grandpa sits into modern car, he doesn't fasten his seat belt since he is used to his '55 Chevy Bel Air not having seat belts.

Solution