Jul 28, 2022
As the title says, my gpu is working in a weird way, during gaming it gives the same gpu fans rpm as it was in idle and doesn't response to Afterburner or any other program that could increase the fans speed.
I tried many things such as updating drivers, tried using the old ones as well but didn't make a change, i also tried oiling the fans and applying new thermal paste but that also didn't make a change and the fans still kept on moving on 400rpm or something which overheated the gpu more than 100C in about 15 minutes.
After a few days Something werid happened when i updated my windows, the rpm while gaming actually jumped between 2500 and 3000 which kept the temperature low and the game was running smoothly, but when i restarted the pc, it came back to the same problem.
I think there's a problem in the windows and i should reinstall it because sometime when i open a game such as witcher 3 the rpm actually jumps to more than 2000 but it comes back to between 400 to 600 and doesn't go back to 2000 or more causing overheating and constant fps drop.
The thing here i think is that the pc is not responding to overheating gpu, there is no kick start of that high speed fan noise.
What could be the problem, in you opinion?

Pc specs:
i7 4th gen
Gpu: Rtx 2060 6gb GDDR5
16gb Ram
1tb hdd, 120gb ssd (windows in ssd)
Windows 10 x64

I have the gpu for about 3 years and there have been no problem with gpu until now.
It started raining in my country a month back, i think during that time the problem actually started and it's been a few weeks the problem still persists.
Should i reinstall windows or there's something else that iam missing?

gpu fans rpm as it was in idle and doesn't response to Afterburneror any other program that could increase the fans speed
sometimes Afterburner has issue communicating with other manufacturer's fans.
you don't mention what other software you have tried.

you also don't mention if this is a Founders Edition or a 3rd party manufactured card.
if a 3rd party and you can't control the fans using the actual card manufacturer's control software then you may have either a malfunctioning card or have done some damage when manipulating it yourself.
Should i reinstall windows or there's something else that iam missing?
the OS has nothing to do with fan control.
this is either governed by the device's BIOS + onboard temperature sensors and/or 3rd party software.

i would try running DDU in Safe Mode and removing ALL graphics related software & settings.
then reinstall latest drivers directly from Nvidia and latest version of the card manufacturer's control software if applicable.

Jul 28, 2022
sometimes Afterburner has issue communicating with other manufacturer's fans.
you don't mention what other software you have tried.

you also don't mention if this is a Founders Edition or a 3rd party manufactured card.
if a 3rd party and you can't control the fans using the actual card manufacturer's control software then you may have either a malfunctioning card or have done some damage when manipulating it yourself.

the OS has nothing to do with fan control.
this is either governed by the device's BIOS + onboard temperature sensors and/or 3rd party software.

i would try running DDU in Safe Mode and removing ALL graphics related software & settings.
then reinstall latest drivers directly from Nvidia and latest version of the card manufacturer's control software if applicable.
I have tried evga precision other than afterburner, and afterburner actually used to work before this problem arrived because it is not a 3rd party manufactured card.
And also I've used ddu multiple times for clean reinstall but problem still persists.

I have tried evga precision other than afterburner, and afterburner actually used to work before this problem arrived because it is not a 3rd party manufactured card.
a 3rd party manufactured card is anything other than directly from Nvidia;
EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Powercolor, etc...

you still don't mention which you are actually using or if it is an Nvidia Founders Edition.
I've used ddu multiple times for clean reinstall but problem still persists.
you uninstalled ALL graphics card control software,
then ran DDU in Windows Safe Mode and chose to remove EVERYTHING
before reinstall fresh drivers and new control software?
afterburner actually used to work before this problem arrived
did this problem actually arise out of nowhere or had you previously dismantled the card to change thermal pads/paste etc?

and have you ever ventured into altering the card's vBIOS?

Jul 28, 2022
Iam using Zotac (i suppose it is a 3rd party)
No i didn't uninstall the drivers how you just said, what i did was simply uninstall the drivers by running the ddu in windows safe mode, i didn't uninstall the drivers before using ddu, i let the ddu do the work to remove the drivers before reinstalling them, should i try uninstall them and then use the ddu?
And No i have never touched gpu vbios because there was no need and i was simply afraid of doing that.
And this problem came out of nowhere, when this problem didn't go away i did the oiling and thermal pasting and the result was same, nothing changed the temps went up higher as they were going before plus fps drop due to overheat.
a 3rd party manufactured card is anything other than directly from Nvidia;
EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Powercolor, etc...

you still don't mention which you are actually using or if it is an Nvidia Founders Edition.

you uninstalled ALL graphics card control software,
then ran DDU in Windows Safe Mode and chose to remove EVERYTHING
before reinstall fresh drivers and new control software?

did this problem actually arise out of nowhere or had you previously dismantled the card to change thermal pads/paste etc?

and have you ever ventured into altering the card's vBIOS?
Iam using Zotac (i suppose it is a 3rd party)

No i didn't uninstall the drivers how you just said, what i did was simply uninstall the drivers by running the ddu in windows safe mode, i didn't uninstall the drivers before using ddu, i let the ddu do the work to remove the drivers before reinstalling them, should i try uninstall them and then use the ddu?

And No i have never touched gpu vbios because there was no need and i was simply afraid of doing that.

And this problem came out of nowhere, i have never dismantled my gpu in my life, when this problem didn't go away i did the oiling and thermal pasting and the result was same, nothing changed the temps went up higher as they were going before plus fps drop due to overheat.

i didn't uninstall the drivers how you just said, what i did was simply uninstall the drivers by running the ddu in windows safe mode, i didn't uninstall the drivers before using ddu, i let the ddu do the work to remove the drivers before reinstalling them, should i try uninstall them and then use the ddu?
drivers and control software are two different things.

control software is anything that you may use to alter the core and/or memory speeds, voltage, fan speeds, etc.
drivers are to allow communication between the device and the OS; what you get from Nvidia along with the Nvidia Control Panel.

you should uninstall any control software first;
MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X1, etc.

then run DDU from Safe Mode and opt to have it remove everything possible.

then install the latest DCH Game Ready Driver package directly from Nvidia.
then install the latest Firestorm package from Zotac.

if you still have no manual control over the card's fans while using Firestorm then you have a deeper issue with hardware malfunction.

Jul 28, 2022

control software is anything that you may use to alter the core and/or memory speeds, voltage, fan speeds, etc.
drivers are to allow communication between the device and the OS; what you get from Nvidia along with the Nvidia Control Panel.

if you still have no manual control over the card's fans while using Firestorm then you have a deeper issue with hardware malfunction.
Okay I'll try that and let you know then.

Jul 28, 2022

So i did everything you just said, rpm is still low even when manually increasing the speed, even though Firestorm shows that fans are on 100% (either auto or manual) the rpm remains less than 400 while both idle and while playing witcher 3 for 5 minutes, the temp kept on jumping and that kick start of that high speed fan noise doesn't come.
Should i consider replacing gpu fans or heatsink?

Should i consider replacing gpu fans or heatsink?
you can find some good replacement shrouds+fans.
but if those new fans are using the same connection then they would more than likely still suffer the same problem.

i'm sure after ~3 years any warranty would be up but you may still want to contact Zotac support and see what they have to say.
the fact that you've dismantled the card and replaced the thermal solution would void any RMA options even if it happened to still be in warranty but they still may be able to offer some options for getting the fans running properly again.
if it's a known issue with this model they may have some solution to try.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022
you can find some good replacement shrouds+fans.
but if those new fans are using the same connection then they would more than likely still suffer the same problem.

i'm sure after ~3 years any warranty would be up but you may still want to contact Zotac support and see what they have to say.
the fact that you've dismantled the card and replaced the thermal solution would void any RMA options even if it happened to still be in warranty but they still may be able to offer some options for getting the fans running properly again.
if it's a known issue with this model they may have some solution to try.
Okay thanks! I'll do that.