entember

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
View: https://i.imgur.com/42gpEcR.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/W9RdsON.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/bUgheA4.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/wPFOChu.png

So I am looking into upgrading to an ssd. Did some research and had a few questions. Is that slot in the picture a pcie slot? How can I tell which kind of ssd will work in that slot? I haven't looked into how to install windows on a new ssd or how to clone an ssd because I'm not sure which kind I'm getting yet. If you guys know which kind I should get could you also provide a tutorial on how to install windows onto it or how to clone my existing hard drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is...
That is PCI slot (not PCIE).
You do not use SSD in that slot. You could use PCI sata controller in there, but that's probably not necessary.

You can install 2.5" sata ssd in your pc. Use sata port on motherboard to connect it (there are 8 sata ports onboard).
For example Crucial MX 500 sata 2.5" SSD or Samsung 860 evo 2.5" sata SSD.

You can use Macrium Reflect free for cloning.
https://www.wintips.org/how-to-clone-disk-with-macrium-reflect/

Last edited:

entember

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
That is PCI slot (not PCIE).
You do not use SSD in that slot. You could use PCI sata controller in there, but that's probably not necessary.

You can install 2.5" sata ssd in your pc. Use sata port on motherboard to connect it (there are 8 sata ports onboard).
For example Crucial MX 500 sata 2.5" SSD or Samsung 860 evo 2.5" sata SSD.

Darn. I heard using the PCIe slot was faster but if all I can use is sata then I'm fine with that. I was also hoping to avoid trying to figure out how to place it in my pc. From what I saw in some cases you have to buy some attachment so that it fits in your hard drive trays in your computer. Do you know how I go about figuring that out?

I was also hoping to avoid trying to figure out how to place it in my pc. From what I saw in some cases you have to buy some attachment so that it fits in your hard drive trays in your computer. Do you know how I go about figuring that out?
It's called 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

415YXGIhUSL._SY355_.jpg

entember

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
It's called 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

415YXGIhUSL._SY355_.jpg
Great thank you! When I was searching how to install windows 10 on an ssd I didn't see how your suppose to install your drivers onto the new ssd. I think if I could figure that out I should be good to go. Sorry for so many questions. I think I could avoid this if I can figure out how to clone the hard drive though.

entember

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
OS installation process on sata drives is the same. It doesn't matter, if it is HDD or SSD.
Hey it's me again. I just got my ssd and cloned my hard drive on it. Only thing is I can't access my bios to change boot priority. I can't use the advance settings method because I don't think I have a UEFI. I also tried pressing various keys used to enter bios and it didn't work either. I think my keyboard gets detected to late and its a smaller keyboard so I think I have to press FN to use the F keys. Any work arounds? I think it's just a matter of using a different keyboard.

entember

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
At the end of this clone process, did you disconnect the old drive and allow the system to try to boot from the new drive?
Is it currently still booting from the old drive?
I can't tell. I think its still the old drive since its still booting slow. Also no I haven't switched them out or disconnected the old one.

USAFRet

Titan
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: entember
Solution

entember

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
Still haven't accessed the bios but I'll try that later. I think I just need to try spamming the del key with a different keyboard. I did swap the cables so that the old cables are connected to the new ssd and it works. Thank you.