Aug 3, 2022
I have a problem with my Lenovo Y50–70.
A while ago this horizontal line appeared at the top of the display, a few centimeters from the edge. Initially it was just a white hotrizontal line, after a few weeks, suddenly, other continuous ones appeared and started flashing. From the lines down, all over the screen, when the brightness is high enough, the screen is unusable. As seen in the video, artifacts such as yellow dots appear, the screen keeps the previous images for seconds after closing, the refesh rate drops dramatically, the resolution seems to drop. Previously it did it only at maximum brightness, now it is practically usable only at minimum brightness. The problem also occurs in bios and on other OS (no driver problem) On external monitors the problem does not occur (no GPU problem) The laptop did not suffer any bumps. I tried to discharge the residual electric charge, but nothing. I changed the matrix cable (flat cable that connects the motherboard to the display, but nothing has changed) The problem persists for weeks, then suddenly I turn on the laptop and there is nothing, no horizontal line, no artifacts. It stays perfect for like a week, then suddenly reappears, first just a line and then like after a day all the other problems come back, so I assume it's not the display, otherwise it should always have problems.

Video proof: https://streamable.com/nn767q

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

problem also occurs in bios and on other OS
Please elaborate with what you mean by other OS.

Check and see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending, if your OS is also pending updates. Lastly see if the issue is alleviated with a reinstallation of your GPU drivers, after suing DDU to remove all GPU driver remnants.

If the issue does not persist on an external panel, the issue is with the display on your laptop(not the GPU).

Aug 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

problem also occurs in bios and on other OS
Please elaborate with what you mean by other OS.

Check and see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending, if your OS is also pending updates. Lastly see if the issue is alleviated with a reinstallation of your GPU drivers, after suing DDU to remove all GPU driver remnants.

If the issue does not persist on an external panel, the issue is with the display on your laptop(not the GPU).
The problem occurs from the boot, so even if I use linux, macos etc
The bios is the most recent (a few years ago, it is not a very supported laptop yet). It has never given me problems of this kind, suddenly the problem appears, then sometimes, for a few days, it does not appear. I doubt it's the drivers, the problem occurs right from the start (boot and bios included).
If the problem is the display, shouldn't it always be there? As I said, sometimes it doesn't give any problems. When the problem persists, at high brightness it is unusable, if I lower the brightness so much, the lines remain but the screen is usable

Lutfij

Titan
The panel's controller could possibly be at fault. In the world of electronics, trying to find the root cause of an issue is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm actually concerned how you managed to get so many OSes onto that laptop. You sure the BIOS isn't being overwhelmed with said OSes?

On a side note, where did you source all your OS installers?

Also, the laptop is supposedly a decade old...so potential wear and tear can happen.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
The panel's controller could possibly be at fault. In the world of electronics, trying to find the root cause of an issue is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm actually concerned how you managed to get so many OSes onto that laptop. You sure the BIOS isn't being overwhelmed with said OSes?

On a side note, where did you source all your OS installers?

Also, the laptop is supposedly a decade old...so potential wear and tear can happen.
It's so much time that i have 2 OSs (like 3-4 years) . Definitely never had a problem. I doubt the problem is related to this, I repeat, the problem occurs in any scenario, even if I boot from usb