How do I connect sound to speaker system?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I have an RCA 5 CD changer w/6 speakers and 2 subwoffers in my room. Instead of bying some cheap PC speakers to replace the ones on the monitor, I want a cheap way to hook my PC up to the Red/White auxilary ports on the back of the CD changer. How can I do this?

DesertRat

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
piece of cake man. However, you won't get 6.2(WTFTW). you'll either get just 2.1, or it might stretch the sound to all speakers and woofers. 2 channels is still two channels.
All you need is a mini-jack to (R/W)RCA adapter. those can occasionally be had at my local 99cent store, but a gold plated, nitrogen injected, rocket boosted errrr nvm... u might want a cable better than that of the 99cent store's varity though, but taht'll do the trick.

the sound sys wuldnt happen to have a digital in, would it? taht might support 5.1or> surround sound...

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Tom's has had a couple articles showing that good computer speakers kick $1000 home theater setups collective a**es. Can't compete with an adapter cable for the money though, but still makes one appreciate the quality / price ratio for good Logitech or Creative surround sets.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Tom's has had a couple articles showing that good computer speakers kick $1000 home theater setups collective a**es. Can't compete with an adapter cable for the money though, but still makes one appreciate the quality / price ratio for good Logitech or Creative surround sets.
LOGITECH FTW!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

I'd like to see the link if you have one. Not that I don't believe you, but it's been a long time since Tom's had a quality article, and too much of the reviews on his site are affected by marketing. I'd love to be curious "what" $1,000 HTIBs he was comparing them to.

I assume it has to be HTIBs he's comparing them to, because a small satellite/sub combo has real physical problems stacking up against real loudspeakers.

cronjob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Dude, I have been getting itchy to connect my home theater audio system up to my gaming rig, just to test it out. It's a pair of 803 Bowers & Wilkins with the 803 center channel, a couple of DS7 surround/side speakers and an ASW 865 sub. Sadly, I suspect the $15,000 setup would come out sounding like a pair of $300 Logitech 5.1 speakers after the conversion from the audio card. :(

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Dude, I have been getting itchy to connect my home theater audio system up to my gaming rig, just to test it out. It's a pair of 803 Bowers & Wilkins with the 803 center channel, a couple of DS7 surround/side speakers and an ASW 865 sub. Sadly, I suspect the $15,000 setup would come out sounding like a pair of $300 Logitech 5.1 speakers after the conversion from the audio card. :(

I don't know how a pair of big B&W 800s are gonna manage to sound like a small sub/sat system.

The main reason I upgraded from Logitech Z-680s was for music. I just couldn't stand the speakers (neither could my neighbors). There was just such a huge difference musically between my speakers and my Sennheiser headphones, so I started looking around the net for better music solutions. Now I've got speakers that match my headphones (I'd say better than my headphones even).

For games, it doesn't sound too different. Game sounds are just honestly pretty uninspired IMO. Doom 3 "had its moments" but it was mostly on a psychological level. It doesn't help when 1) the sound is encoded at very low bitrates and 2) it's mixed with the understanding that its mostly going to be played with PC speakers--i.e., generally uninspired explosions and ricochet sounds, and heavily boosted mid-bass. In that, sure, you aren't gonna get a huge difference from PC speakers or bigger, more capable speakers. It just sounds like low-bitrate radio mixes.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Okay i'll check out the adaptors at radio shack, but if I do get computer speakers, is there any way they will be worth the price instead of the cable? I'm talking about an upgrade from tiny muffled monitor speakers.

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
In another thread (Looking for...) we've been discussing my EB01 DAC. If you want to get high bit rate music files to play from your PC onto a stereo, that's a pretty good way to do it affordably and with excellent quality (<$100).

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Okay i'll check out the adaptors at radio shack, but if I do get computer speakers, is there any way they will be worth the price instead of the cable? I'm talking about an upgrade from tiny muffled monitor speakers.

Sounds like anything is an upgrade for you at this point, but I doubt you will get more utility from buying new speakers rather than paying the mere price of a cable.