[SOLVED] How to separate wifi and ethernet in windows 10

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
Hi. I want to connect to my wifi and ethernet at the same time. I know this is possible so that's not my problem. I want to know if it's possible to make windows use them separately. for example, I want my IDM to use the wifi while steam uses the ethernet connection. How to do that? I am asking this because I don't want the speeds and most importantly the data usage to be separate.

Solution
It's not about that. I know ethernet is better and that's why I want to let steam (not stream) use it. basically play games by ethernet and simultaneously I want to download some stuff with my wifi. First of all, because I don't want my download to slow down my ethernet connection. second of all, because I don't care about the speed and connection which I download stuff with. And finally, I have metered connection (both of them) so I bought a package to handle my heavy download stuff on my wifi and I use ethernet for other daily things. What u need to know is that my ethernet and wifi aren't from the same provider. My wifi is basically connected to my cellphones's data. I hope I have explained everything. So any solution?
You...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi. I want to connect to my wifi and ethernet at the same time. I know this is possible so that's not my problem. I want to know if it's possible to make windows use them separately. for example, I want my IDM to use the wifi while steam uses the ethernet connection. How to do that? I am asking this because I don't want the speeds and most importantly the data usage to be separate.
Your ethernet has more consistent performance and better bandwidth than your WIFI. Why do you believe you would be better off using the combo?
The limitation is going to be your WAN bandwidth. If stream is using it all, then your WIFI won't do any better.

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
Your ethernet has more consistent performance and better bandwidth than your WIFI. Why do you believe you would be better off using the combo?
The limitation is going to be your WAN bandwidth. If stream is using it all, then your WIFI won't do any better.
It's not about that. I know ethernet is better and that's why I want to let steam (not stream) use it. basically play games by ethernet and simultaneously I want to download some stuff with my wifi. First of all, because I don't want my download to slow down my ethernet connection. second of all, because I don't care about the speed and connection which I download stuff with. And finally, I have metered connection (both of them) so I bought a package to handle my heavy download stuff on my wifi and I use ethernet for other daily things. What u need to know is that my ethernet and wifi aren't from the same provider. My wifi is basically connected to my cellphones's data. I hope I have explained everything. So any solution?

kanewolf

Titan
You did not previously identify that you were trying to use two ISPs. If you have specific IP addresses you are trying to reach then you can setup routing to go to one way or the other. You can't have two internet connections each with a default gateway. You have to pick one as the default and then explicitly route through the other.

Solution

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
You did not previously identify that you were trying to use two ISPs. If you have specific IP addresses you are trying to reach then you can setup routing to go to one way or the other. You can't have two internet connections each with a default gateway. You have to pick one as the default and then explicitly route through the other.
Yes, sorry for not mentioning that. oh. so basically I can't because it's mot a specific IP address.
Thanks a lot for the answer.