jinjin12

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I bought a used dell precision 7720 on ebay for $520. IT came with 64gb ram, i5-7440hq, AMD wx 4130, 2tb Hd, 1 TB samsung NVME. IT did not come with any OS installed though. I have several questions though:

1) Do you guys think this laptop was worth it for the price and specs?

2) Since it didn't come with an OS, but it did have a windows 10 pro stick on the base cover, CAn i just download windows 10 pro from Microsoft or Dell and then install and it'll work fully registered and activated? I've heard that modern OEM laptops have their windows CD keys stored in the bios and that if i install the correct Windows 10 iso, it'll find the cd keys in the bios and auto-activated the windows?

3) Also, The laptop came with the AMD wx4130. Can anyone tell me is the wx4130 on the precision 7720 4gb or 2gb vram? i think there are 2 configurations of it. I read the 7720 owner's manual online where it states this laptop wx4130 gpu comes with 2gb vram normally? How come in my bios it's showing the gpu as only have 64mb ram? This laptop has switchable graphics? why is it defaulting to integrated graphics?

4) Is the wx4130 decent? I read online that is' similar to a gtx 960m, but anyone has first hands experience with it? Can't really find good info on it online.

Thanks all, I'm a noob. Been using windows xp up till last year and haven't bought a new laptop for 12 or 13 years, still using my inspiron 1520, so i haven't been familiar with all the new happenings.

I bought a used dell precision 7720 on ebay for $520. IT came with 64gb ram, i5-7440hq, AMD wx 4130, 2tb Hd, 1 TB samsung NVME. IT did not come with any OS installed though. I have several questions though:

1) Do you guys think this laptop was worth it for the price and specs?

2) Since it didn't come with an OS, but it did have a windows 10 pro stick on the base cover, CAn i just download windows 10 pro from Microsoft or Dell and then install and it'll work fully registered and activated? I've heard that modern OEM laptops have their windows CD keys stored in the bios and that if i install the correct Windows 10 iso, it'll find the cd keys in the bios and auto-activated the windows?

3) Also, The laptop came with the AMD wx4130. Can anyone tell me is the wx4130 on the precision 7720 4gb or 2gb vram? i think there are 2 configurations of it. I read the 7720 owner's manual online where it states this laptop wx4130 gpu comes with 2gb vram normally? How come in my bios it's showing the gpu as only have 64mb ram? This laptop has switchable graphics? why is it defaulting to integrated graphics?

4) Is the wx4130 decent? I read online that is' similar to a gtx 960m, but anyone has first hands experience with it? Can't really find good info on it online.

Thanks all, I'm a noob. Been using windows xp up till last year and haven't bought a new laptop for 12 or 13 years, still using my inspiron 1520, so i haven't been familiar with all the new happenings.

1: Yes that is a decent price for a laptop of that spec

2: You should be able to reinstall the latest version of Windows 10 Pro from microsoft. In Windows 10 microsoft stores the key against the hardware id of the machine, so it should recognise the hardware as licenced and activate windows (if it doesn't you can probably get it activated by phoning microsoft).

3 /4: So the WX4130 is a workstation gpu aimed at 3D CAD. I use a WX3100 in my desktop workstation for running SolidWorks and so on and for CAD it's great. Gaming wise it's not going to be fantastic, it's based on Polaris 12 (same gpu used in RX 560) so it's lower to mid range but should be fine for most games if you don't mind turning settings down. Memory wise, if the manual says it's 2gb then thats probably correct. The 64mb vram will be the memory dedicated to the Intel integrated gpu on the i5. Most laptops come with dual graphics chips, the system is set to use the integrated graphics most of the time to save power and extend battery life, then switch to the dedicated graphics card when running 3D applications. The drivers for the graphics card allow you to choose which programs use which.

TRENDING THREADS