Oct 3, 2021
So I was working on replacing my old i-5 with a newer I-7. After I was finished I noticed that my computer now would not turn on and there is a wire that seems to be out of place. I am in dire need of some assistance!! The Orange cable goes to the P2 Power port on the motherboard. I also am not certain if the processor slot is compatible since I do not know the name of the i7.
HeYYEte.jpg
eI9P6Vb.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
What kind of shop would you recommend I should go to? A Best Buy, or somewhere like a Fry’s?
If you've a Microcenter nearby they're pretty good. At least mine is.

I'd imagine Fry's would have a good repair too but I've no experience with them. And aren't they shuttered? maybe only some stores.

Best Buy has the Geek Squad... based on the many derisive comments I wouldn't trust them with a toaster oven. But if that's all you have....

Then there's looking in the yellow pages and asking around.

All I know is terminating that wire is important and getting it wrong can be serious damage. It entails either soldering or crimping, and basic knowledge of electronics along with use of a VRM and ohm meter to be confident you've got the...
That looks like it's possibly a wire carrying +12V. It will have to be re-attached before proceeding. If you don't know how, take it to a shop and let them.

I strongly advise not to power on any more, not until that wire is properly terminated. If it contacts something it could burn up many things and cause permanent, irreparable damage.

Reactions: Miller.Jackson03
Oct 3, 2021
That looks like it's possibly a wire carrying +12V. It will have to be re-attached before proceeding. If you don't know how, take it to a shop and let them.

I strongly advise not to power on any more, not until that wire is properly terminated. If it contacts something it could burn up many things and cause permanent, irreparable damage.
What kind of shop would you recommend I should go to? A Best Buy, or somewhere like a Fry’s?

I'd imagine Fry's would have a good repair too but I've no experience with them. And aren't they shuttered? maybe only some stores.

Best Buy has the Geek Squad... based on the many derisive comments I wouldn't trust them with a toaster oven. But if that's all you have....

All I know is terminating that wire is important and getting it wrong can be serious damage. It entails either soldering or crimping, and basic knowledge of electronics along with use of a VRM and ohm meter to be confident you've got the right termination point. So if you've never done such things it's important to have over-the-shoulder guidance to help.

Even once you've got that there are no assurances since you're swapping processors that may not be compatible. You'll have to post full system specs to get advice from Intel experts. But that's only after you've got that wire properly terminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller.Jackson03
Solution
Oct 3, 2021

All I know is terminating that wire is important and getting it wrong can be serious damage. It entails either soldering or crimping, and basic knowledge of electronics along with use of a VRM and ohm meter to be confident you've got the right termination point. So if you've never done such things it's important to have over-the-shoulder guidance to help.

Even once you've got that there are no assurances since you're swapping processors that may not be compatible. You'll have to post full system specs to get advice from Intel experts. But that's only after you've got that wire properly terminated.
Awesome. I will check out what places I have near me and thank you for your support and intel (pun intended) on this.