Oct 31, 2019
Hey,

I am in the process of getting all my parts together to build a PC.

I'm getting hung up on the connection of the front I/O panel and available headers on the MotherBoard

preferred case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M RGB Tempered Glass Case (Due to plenty of USB 3s)

Prefered MoBo: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus WiFi Motherboard (Due to price and comes with wifi)

Plenty of USB 2.0 support but a little confused with the lack of USB 3 support with most MoBos and I can't get my head around gens and 3.1 vs 3.2 etc.

I really just want all my front I/O ports on my case to work

Full list of chosen parts so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X with Wraith Prism
Graphics: ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT OC 8GB
M.2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB ST4000DM004 3.5in Hard Drive x2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 (Not sure if compatible with AMD for the full 3200mHz but according to some forums it works?)
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Power Supply (probably overkill in terms of Watts, ignorant to how good it is otherwise)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus WiFi Motherboard
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M RGB Tempered Glass Case (Alternatively I could go down to a H500P CoolerMaster to maintian 200mm fans but 2x 3.0 usb and 2x USB 2.0)
Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan 200mm ARGB Fan (for top of case to match) using CableMod 4-Pin Fan to 2x 4-Pin Fan Y Cable Black 10cm to attach fans to Mobo (3 fan headers in MoBo) - Unsure about RGB fan functions yet, may get splitters to control RGB function of all 4 RGB fans directly from motherboard (only 1 RGB addressable header on MoBo)

Feedback appreciated as I have never built a PC from scratch but keen for the challenge and money savings

Also any feedback on compatibility of my chosen parts is appreciated if you go through my parts list

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Plenty of USB 2.0 support but a little confused with the lack of USB 3 support with most MoBos and I can't get my head around gens and 3.1 vs 3.2 etc.

Aren't we all! lol.

In a nutshell:

The original USB3.0 (5Gb/s) was renamed USB 3.1 Gen 1 - and now becomes known as 3.2 Gen1
This can be implemented in Type-A (typical USB) or Type-C variants, although C is uncommon here.

3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb/s) is being renamed 3.2 Gen2
Can be implemented in Type-A (typical USB) or Type-C variants

For type-A ports, 3.2 Gen 1 & Gen2 require the same motherboard header

The latest iteration is 3.2 Gen 2x2 (yes, seriously) and 20Gb/s - available only as Type-C.

The front IO of the H500M has:
1x USB 3.1 Type-C, 4x USB 3.0

So you'll need a Type-C header on the board, and 2x USB3 headers.

The motherboard has (in terms of headers on the board)
1x 3.0 header
2x 2.0 headers

The board lacks type-C, and does not have the appropriate (native) onboard headers to allow full use of the H500Ms ports.

Basic adapters exist to connect 3.0 ports to 2.0 headers - but you're limited to 2.0 speeds.
PCIe add-in cards can add Type-C headers and additional 3.0 headers.

For what you're looking for, I would suggest the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi.
Slightly more money, but has all the same features (including Wifi) AND the headers you need
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47303

1.png

Last edited: