WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I hate to be the generic post writer, complaining about his PC performance but I honestly can't think any more. For a long time now, I have been barely holding on as my PC struggles to get 60 frames in almost every AAA game. I've always considered myself knowledgeable when it comes to hardware, but after monitoring all temps and usage, I am at a dead end when trying to work out what it is thats making my PC struggle!

My specs are as followed (please guys, i am aware it is not next gen system but im also aware of the expected results in each game).

i7 4790K
GTX TITAN X
16 GB LP Vengance
1TB 7.2K
120GB SSD
Z97S Krait SLI
H100i Corsair GTX

As a whole, I struggle to reach 60fps steady on any fairly intense game at 1080p. Here are some FPS averages to put into perspective:
RDR2 - 57 FPS (1080p medium)
Halo Infinite - 51 FPS (1080p low/medium)
Call of duty: MW - 68 FPS (medium 1080p)
Forza 5 - 80 fps (1080p medium)
Witcher 3 - 65 fps (1080p medium)

I have done absolutely everything imaginable to try and highlight the problem, Im starting to believe its something beyond my understanding.

These are the tests ive made:

• Swapped out and tested 2 different RAM kits
  • Bought a new HDD
  • Bought a new SSD
  • Increased Titan X's stock temp limit of 83 degrees to 87 and increased the power limit (I thought it a throttling issue at first but I was running at 73 degree with an aggressive fan curve)
  • Watched usage in game and movement in clock speeds
  • reinstalled windows multiple times
  • walked through nvidias control panel for anomolies
  • reverted BIOS to factory settings
  • changed power settings to max performance
  • Performed multiple malware tests
  • increased fan curve on the entire system
STRANGE: Yesterday I tested a friends GTX 980 in my build, of course its a weaker card but still expected better results. The card actually gave almost identical frame rates as my Titan X, leading me to believe its something unrelated to the GPU.

If any of you guys have any ideas please shoot!

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, I'd be curious to see some standardized benchmarks. These seem on the low side for the hardware, but not alarmingly slow; the Titan X is roughly in the 1660 Ti/1070 range and that i7 is old enough that it's fallen behind quite a bit in per-core performance. A lot can come down to the very specific settings, such as Hairworks in Witcher.

This is assuming, of course, that you do mean the GTX Titan X rather than the Pascal Titan X that was released the following year and was significantly more powerful.

Last edited:
Agree it will be interesting to see some benchmarks. However I strongly expect it’s the old cpu that is 4 core 8 threads with weak cores by today’s standards. I had the i5 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz just over 2 years ago. My old cpu was struggling to do 60fps in newer games at that time and some games like Gears 5 were unplayable because of the FPS the cpu gave. Now your i7 is slightly better for newer games being 4 core 8 thread instead of my 4 core 4 threads but it’s not much better. Your cpu has the same number of cores and threads as a modern i3 but the i3 will have much better single core performance.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I'd say that, That i7 4790K is what's slowing your fps to a crawl, from most of the games you mentioned, run allot better with a up to date CPU.

Then there is also, very important very specific Driver selection & settings and in game Graphics setting to carefully, select, each game is different as we all should know by now.

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I'd be curious to see some standardized benchmarks. These seem on the low side for the hardware, but not alarmingly slow; the Titan X is roughly in the 1660 Ti/1070 range and that i7 is old enough that it's fallen behind quite a bit in per-core performance. A lot can come down to the very specific settings, such as Hairworks in Witcher.

This is assuming, of course, that you do mean the GTX Titan X rather than the Pascal Titan X that was released the following year and was significantly more powerful.

Apologies for not specifying, it is a Maxwell Titan X. You're right in the sense that the I7 has certainly dropped in contrast to newer generations, but almost all of the games that I have played / tested, previously gave me FPS figures in the 100s at 1080p. The frame rates seem to be consistent throughout all lower graphic settings, in a variety of games :(

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Agree it will be interesting to see some benchmarks. However I strongly expect it’s the old cpu that is 4 core 8 threads with weak cores by today’s standards. I had the i5 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz just over 2 years ago. My old cpu was struggling to do 60fps in newer games at that time and some games like Gears 5 were unplayable because of the FPS the cpu gave. Now your i7 is slightly better for newer games being 4 core 8 thread instead of my 4 core 4 threads but it’s not much better. Your cpu has the same number of cores and threads as a modern i3 but the i3 will have much better single core performance.

Gears 5 shouldve been added to my benchmark list! I had a big phase of that a couple of months ago and I used to pull approximately 58 fps on medium.

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Run this and post a link to the results.

Your video card is a big waste of money unless you got it cheap the were made more for work programs.

I actually bought the Titan X off of someone in 2016, they used to work for LG and I believe he stole a bunch when he got sacked :ROFLMAO: Ebay is a fun place!

This is the user benchmark results, please note that prior to this, I was running 16gb (8gb lp vengance and 8gb hyper x) so to stabilise into XMP mode, I just used 8gb for this test.
Getting the same results in all games though mind you

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48227623

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Your system is CPU bound and that is not a super powerful GPU.
To improve the FPS from where it is you will need to upgrade CPU, which will not be cheap.

Your own test of putting a 980 in there and the FPS not really changing proves that you are CPU bound, and your userbenchmark results show it as well, since the GPU is underperforming relative to average but the CPU isn’t.

Upgrading CPU will help FPS, but you’ll need to replace motherboard and RAM as well. Probably I’d recommend the i5 9600 as a decently priced part used, and the motherboard to go with it should be widely available. Do not get another MSI board, get Asus or Gigabyte.

Last edited:

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Your system is CPU bound and that is not a super powerful GPU.
To improve the FPS from where it is you will need to upgrade CPU, which will not be cheap.

Your own test of putting a 980 in there and the FPS not really changing proves that you are CPU bound, and your userbenchmark results show it as well, since the GPU is underperforming relative to average but the CPU isn’t.

Upgrading CPU will help FPS, but you’ll need to replace motherboard and RAM as well. Probably I’d recommend the i5 9600 as a decently priced part used, and the motherboard to go with it should be widely available. Do not get another MSI board, get Asus or Gigabyte.

thats a fair observation, but prior to this I never had any problems before gaining high frames with my 4790K.

comparisons with people online with the same specs seems to get 3 to 4x the performance I get.
Is there anyway to detect potential hardware issues with the cpu?

DSzymborski

Titan
thats a fair observation, but prior to this I never had any problems before gaining high frames with my 4790K.

comparisons with people online with the same specs seems to get 3 to 4x the performance I get.

The problem is you're not giving us much solid data to go on. Your framerates are being compared to your recollection of previous framerates and you reference "comparisons with people online" that we can not possibly see since you don't provide any links. And I'm quite skeptical of the last one. For example, 65 fps at 1080p Medium in Witcher 3 is on the lower end of the range of what is reasonable for your gear, but I'm not buying that you ought to be getting 195 to 260 fps on a GPU similar to a 1660 Ti/1070 on a Haswell i7. And in the one hard benchmark you've actually provided us, things look to be working normally.

I actually bought the Titan X off of someone in 2016, they used to work for LG and I believe he stole a bunch when he got sacked :ROFLMAO: Ebay is a fun place!

This is the user benchmark results, please note that prior to this, I was running 16gb (8gb lp vengance and 8gb hyper x) so to stabilise into XMP mode, I just used 8gb for this test.
Getting the same results in all games though mind you

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48227623
Looks like you have the latest bios.
What about the chipset and management engine driver?
If those are also up to date then rerun UBM but this time reboot and wait a few mins then run UBM with the browser closed.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

Then my fine people, I'd guess that we are having a dirty system that the went from stable to sluggish over the course of use.

Might I suggest that you start fresh with a [clean & repaste] format and install, unless of course you have already done this and still your pc's performance is not comparable to what it should be.

Hi Everyone,

I hate to be the generic post writer, complaining about his PC performance but I honestly can't think any more. For a long time now, I have been barely holding on as my PC struggles to get 60 frames in almost every AAA game. I've always considered myself knowledgeable when it comes to hardware, but after monitoring all temps and usage, I am at a dead end when trying to work out what it is thats making my PC struggle!

My specs are as followed (please guys, i am aware it is not next gen system but im also aware of the expected results in each game).

i7 4790K
GTX TITAN X
16 GB LP Vengance
1TB 7.2K
120GB SSD
Z97S Krait SLI
H100i Corsair GTX

As a whole, I struggle to reach 60fps steady on any fairly intense game at 1080p. Here are some FPS averages to put into perspective:
RDR2 - 57 FPS (1080p medium)
Halo Infinite - 51 FPS (1080p low/medium)
Call of duty: MW - 68 FPS (medium 1080p)
Forza 5 - 80 fps (1080p medium)
Witcher 3 - 65 fps (1080p medium)

If I had your system right here right now, I'd surely find some better performance out it.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I’d echo others suggestions: A reinstall of windows and installing all motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website, then doing all the windows updates, then installing the Nvidia drivers for your card.

After those steps, install one game that you want to benchmark on, and see what you get. If it still doesn’t meet expectations, then maybe you have a hardware fault on your motherboard.

Mind you, just under 60 FPS on 1080p medium is pretty decent for a non gaming card optimised for productivity workloads.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I’d echo others suggestions: A reinstall of windows and installing all motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website, then doing all the windows updates, then installing the Nvidia drivers for your card.

To go about this better, Install the Gpu's driver: "pronto el GPU Driver numuro uno", I suppose that means 1st thing you get into windows after a fresh format and install, then all the other things can come after.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
To go about this better, Install the Gpu's driver: "pronto el GPU Driver numuro uno", I suppose that means 1st thing you get into windows after a fresh format and install, then all the other things can come after.

I prefer to let it run with the the old Nvidia driver that comes with windows during setup and do the IME and chipset first, since windows updates go quicker with those installed, and the graphics driver installer works better with all the windows updates installed up front in my experience.

Splitting hairs, but whatever :)

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I prefer to let windows run with the the old Nvidia driver during setup and do the IME and chipset first, since windows updates go quicker with those and the graphics driver installer works better with all the windows updates installed up front.

Splitting hairs, but whatever :)

If you are about your reinstalling to gain performance wits, Downloading the driver and storing it on the windows installation usb along, then you can install it 1st thing without any issue, while using your bandwidth for updates and such, I'd even go as far as to install the GPU driver before I even get connected to the internet, witch should be possible if you have it on the usb where you just came from, and then restarting and setting up further.

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017

After those steps, install one game that you want to benchmark on, and see what you get. If it still doesn’t meet expectations, then maybe you have a hardware fault on your motherboard.

Mind you, just under 60 FPS on 1080p medium is pretty decent for a non gaming card optimised for productivity workloads.

Last night I installed a fresh copy of windows on a brand new formatted SSD - maybe the 3rd time I’ve done this now.

Still struggling to meet 60fps - this time on Battlefront II. I’ve got screenshots from when I used to reach 160fps on the same settings.

I believe something is failing, it’s just trying to narrow down what that is

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Sorry, is this an elaborate troll? Nobody gets 160FPS on Battlefront 2 even with an RTX3090 and new CPU.

You never got 160FPS on your 4790K, you just didn’t. That game is badly optimised and has 30-40 players per match plus vehicles etc. no way.

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Sorry, is this an elaborate troll? Nobody gets 160FPS on Battlefront 2 even with an RTX3090 and new CPU.

You never got 160FPS on your 4790K, you just didn’t. That game is badly optimised and has 30-40 players per match plus vehicles etc. no way.
Are you good? Frostbite engine had a crazy fix up in 2019 in the final clone wars patch 😂

why you getting pushy for lmao

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017

in regards to benchmarks, firestrike is saying that my PC is running as expected, but predicting frames way above what im reciving

score is below

https://ibb.co/NxJRjKd

https://ibb.co/PZqkJJb