[SOLVED] is Asus RT-AC58U a good router for ADSL ?

elhadi91

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
Hello,

I intend to buy a new router, as my current one is extremely old and doesn't even have the standard normes and it's being a bottleneck for my internet connection.

I must point out that i'm a beginner when it comes to this field. So, after some research i came across this one in particular (ASUS RT-AC58U):
https://www.asus.com/in/Networking/RT-AC58U/

From what i've read it has a good wifi speed, range and supports interesting features.

That been said, my only concern, it seems like the router is being given credit a lot for it's wifi. But i will mostly be using it primarily with a cable (RJ-45) for my ADSL.

So my question is will ASUS RT-AC58U to perform just as good or better than the WIFI when it's plugged to my desktop with a cable ?

Thank you in advance

NOTE: i have a maximum download speed of 900kb/second

Solution
With less than 1Mbit internet speed, any current router will be fine. BUT, with that low an internet speed, no router will be able to handle more than web browsing or low res YouTube.

elhadi91

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
Thank you for your reply man !

I am looking for a router that is at the same time a modem, and i just found out that ASUS RT-AC58U isn't one, is that true ?

Because i'm looking to change my modem completely !

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your reply man !

I am looking for a router that is at the same time a modem, and i just found out that ASUS RT-AC58U isn't one, is that true ?

Because i'm looking to change my modem completely !
I don't recommend combo units. Because if you change to fiber or coax internet service you can't reuse the combo unit easily. A standalone modem and separate router are the most flexible option. You end up with one extra AC adapter, but you don't end up with unusable hardware because of an ISP change.

elhadi91

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
It is too slow, it does not have the right standards, it does not even have the characteristics of Qos (quality of service) or 802.11ac standard, etc ...

In short, it's a shit, that's why I have to buy a new modem / router!

But I just discovered that this Asus is only for wifi and not to connect with my phone line, because it serves as an intermediary.

I searched further and found that there were routers that serve as a modem at the same time. So I wanted to know if this is what I need to replace my box of my ISP and link to my phone line?

https://www.tp-link.com/eg/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-d50/

Thank you for your advices