madsriisager

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
Hello

I have choosen som hardware for a DIY NAS, and I want to know if it is adequate.

I have a rack server, where I need to but another motherboard and CPU inside.

With price in mind I have choosen to use the motherboard:

MSI B450-A PRO MAX

and CPU:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

It has two RAM slots, and i will initially buy one 16 GB stick, and maybe upgrade down the line.

The server will be used for streaming movies mostly. Some though is big files, which can require 100 Mb / s or more. The motherboard has a Gigabit Ethernet connection and the harddrives are all SATA 600, so it shouldn't be a bottleneck I think.

Again my question is if this hardware is adequate, or if I am missing something which will bottleneck my system?

Solution
For most software/OS's there are levels of hardware recommendation: minimal, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford.

Recommend that you just "hold" for now.

Because you updated your circumstances and requirements there may be other ideas and suggestions offered.

I will have to defer to those who have set up similar NAS environments.

madsriisager

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
What NAS software do you plan to use: e.g. "FreeNAS"?

The NAS software specs should provide the necessary hardware specs.

For example:

https://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/
I was thinking FreeNAS or UnRaid. I can see that I'm fulfilling the recommended specs for FreeNAS, but can't seem to find anything for UnRaid. But even if I fulfill the specs for running the software, there could be bottlenecks in the form of files being to big or requirering to much bandwidth to stream without lagging.

I have a lot of 4K movies filling up to 80GB sometimes, and requirering up 100 Mb/s to play. Would FreeNAS with my specs be able to handle this kind of traffic?

And this is only single use case. If another person in my house want to watch a movie same time as me, it might have to run at 200 Mb/s. (extreme case)

And the rack has 12-bays, so there will be 12-drives in the end, all 8TB drives.

Ralston18

Titan
For most software/OS's there are levels of hardware recommendation: minimal, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford.

Recommend that you just "hold" for now.

Because you updated your circumstances and requirements there may be other ideas and suggestions offered.

I will have to defer to those who have set up similar NAS environments.

Solution