Question Is my Display dying or what are these (picture in thread)? (Acer Predator 27" QHD (1440p) 144Hz (165Hz with OC)

MarkedOne66

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
Hello,

I am worried my monitor is at the end of its life. I started having these artifacts (picture 1) a while back, first only 2-3 not theres more and more.
These artifacts are visible in this order of color from left to right - green, green, red, green, green, red. They are at the exact same spots at the highlight of the taskbar icons in windows (picture 2).
Should i be worried or can i fit this somehow ? They appear even if the display is turned off for a long time. For example, i spent more than 1 year away from my place at my parents during the start of covid, so the display was notturned on for more than 1 year, when i came back, andturned it on, they were still there. Funny thing is, they do shrink or grow but i have no idea why and at what conditions, im trying to not rly payattention to them, i just notice that sometimes they are full length and then sometimes they shrink just to almost a dot as u can see on 2 of them.

Please help me how to fix this, if its possible.

Picture 1
271904599_1128676924553063_4643957532785593875_n.jpg

Picture 2
271930734_446351857153353_4774789759680473952_n.jpg

thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
kind of looks like a taskbar below your actual one.

Are they there in the BIOS?

Are they there in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

MarkedOne66

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
kind of looks like a taskbar below your actual one.

Are they there in the BIOS?

Are they there in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

Yes its there even on bios screen, or when im turning on the PC. its always there. Like, i use my PC 15+h a day, and on those spots, there are active apps every day, so its like as if that highlight has burned into the screen or something. but if it was burn in, i googled that, burn-ins dont go away, this does. it shrinks or grows as i mentioned.
Forgot to say, this is an IPS panel not a TN

MarkedOne66

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
Does changing refresh rate on monitor do anything?
does changing cables make any difference? maybe its a bad cable.
Turning off G Sync?

it probably is but i was curious if its there on another PC.

Already tried changing cables, I was on 60hz and 120 hz and 144hz different lenghts of times, same result, and i dont use G-sync. I disabled it in nvidia controll panel years ago. And i just checked, its still off. (and i never used the OC funtion on the monitor to push it to 165Hz. Meaningless. I usually just run 120. More than enough.

Colif

Win 11 Master
does the pattern appear if you turn monitor on while its not attached to PC? Only trying to narrow down causes to the actual monitor itself.

I suspect it is the monitor, i guess since it sat not turned on for a year that its out of warranty now?
I would maybe contact Acer and ask about lines anyway.

I am not an expert on monitors so its possible I missed something.

MarkedOne66

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
does the pattern appear if you turn monitor on while its not attached to PC? Only trying to narrow down causes to the actual monitor itself.

I suspect it is the monitor, i guess since it sat not turned on for a year that its out of warranty now?
I would maybe contact Acer and ask about lines anyway.

I am not an expert on monitors so its possible I missed something.
yeah even if the PC is turned off and i turn on the monitor so it turns on for a while to tell me there no input signal they are there :sad: and its like 5y old so notthat much, but 3y out of warranty already.. cost like 500+ € too.. should last more than 5y imo :(

Can't see the pictures in your post, buy based on description alone it does look like a failing monitor. I have similar issue on my 8 y old LG monitor (vertical 1 pixel wide red line splitting monitor in half) and all the tests I made point out toward monitor. It certainly sucks when it happens on effectively 4y old though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I killed a monitor once, as I used to turn it off each night via power button as its standby light kept me awake. It eventually wouldn't turn on again. I learned my lesson and left the next one one all the time, hiding its activity light behind a speaker. Current monitor has no standby light and its so nice to have darkness.

Sux it is dying, I didn't realize 165hz monitors had been around that long.

I would keep using it while you can. I don't know enough about monitors to tell you if it is terminal, it might keep working like that.

MarkedOne66

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
It probably will work np, i have it there for a longtime, its just annoying.
New album: View: https://imgur.com/a/7hPjkp4

@DRagor i made an imgur album (above) with the pictures, i even included a 3rd one where u can see how it changes. one of the lines was red now its green, and the small red dot on far right is gone now but will eventually come back.

It is legit caused by the illumination of the friggin apps on taskbar on windows 10 ... also @Colif xD .. thankfully more expensive monitors have the option to turn the light off, like this mine has an option " Power LED : On /Off " good stuff, cause ik what u are talking about, and its rly annoying, especially if your decives are in your bedroom. I wish all devices using led lights would be set to at least dim after a while unless theres a change, or have option to turn the lights off, or liek go on standby. Some appliances have ridiculously strong leds, like TVs, Routers, etc.

@DRagor i made an imgur album (above) with the pictures, i even included a 3rd one where u can see how it changes. one of the lines was red now its green, and the small red dot on far right is gone now but will eventually come back.
Thanks, I can see it now. And it looks even more as failing monitor now. Also I see the whole bottom area seems to have light bleeding (especially visible in pic 1). If I had to guess IPS matrix used in your monitor has to be very low quality to fail so hard that fast.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is legit caused by the illumination of the friggin apps on taskbar on windows 10 ... also @Colif xD .. thankfully more expensive monitors have the option to turn the light off, like this mine has an option " Power LED : On /Off " good stuff, cause ik what u are talking about, and its rly annoying, especially if your decives are in your bedroom. I wish all devices using led lights would be set to at least dim after a while unless theres a change, or have option to turn the lights off, or liek go on standby. Some appliances have ridiculously strong leds, like TVs, Routers, etc.

it doesn't look like burn in, especially since you say the lines change. Burn in is always in same place.
this is burn in - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/588904/acer-predator-xb271hu-ghost-image-problem

Most cases of Acer monitors with lines refer to vertical, not horizontal. even explicitly searching for horizontal brings vertical results (I really hate google sometimes)

My LG monitor might have a stand by light. It is off by default and I don't see it now. Every other LCD monitor I had owned was made by Samsung. All with different color activity lights.

MarkedOne66

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
Well yea, im helpless too. guess ill document it properly andtry to reach out to Acer themselves. But thanks for all the ideas guys! If I manage to get a solution i will update the thread. Hope it wont get closed by then.