[SOLVED] Is my GPU or temps to high when gaming?

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,
I was wondering what is a good temp for a GPU and cpu to be while gaming. I have a alienware Aurora r7, and the only way i usually check is if i click the arrow on my taskbar and there is a setting that says thermal controller. While gaming, i think my temps may be getting high. When I play fortnite, my GPU sensor says 82C, and my cpu temp says about 50-60C. Its only those that get high, my hdd sensor stays at like 23C and my pci sensor stays low as well. Is this too hot, or is there a way I can lower them? Is my PC too dusty? It does not look dusty though and i can only see a little dust inside if I look closely with a flashlight, but no dust i can see when flashlight is off. I do not know what to do to lower my temps. Is there a better app I can use to look at temps for Alienware, and should I be worried about the temps? My pc isnt that loud and it seems to be running fine performance wise.
please let me know if I should clean it, or a way to lower the temps or something like that.
Thanks

Solution
Is there a better app I can check the temps?
Not really, because Nvidia programmed their gpus to report a single number, which is the average of 3: gpu core, Vram, and VRM.
Probably the only way to get better gpu temps is to get a more airflow friendly case - that is, if you're not already running a high fan curve on the card.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Not really, because Nvidia programmed their gpus to report a single number, which is the average of 3: gpu core, Vram, and VRM.
Probably the only way to get better gpu temps is to get a more airflow friendly case - that is, if you're not already running a high fan curve on the card.
Okay, Would there be a way to like make my GPU stronger or something like put more power or something simple so it’s not using so much and taking a lot of airflow and heat? Sounds stupid but anything works

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Higher power limits increase power consumption and make it run hotter. Why would you want to do that when you're so close to thermal throttle territory(85C+) anyway?

Your case isn't allowing the gpu to get that much air, that's the problem. A GTX 1080 normally doesn't run that hot.
I guess you could invest in a gpu cooling fan, but I'm not sure how effective one of those would be since air is already restricted to this level.
https://www.newegg.com/anidees-ai-gp-cl/p/13K-00C8-00001
https://www.newegg.com/p/2T3-001K-00001
^Just a few samples.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Higher power limits increase power consumption and make it run hotter. Why would you want to do that when you're so close to thermal throttle territory(85C+) anyway?

Your case isn't allowing the gpu to get that much air, that's the problem. A GTX 1080 normally doesn't run that hot.
I guess you could invest in a gpu cooling fan, but I'm not sure how effective one of those would be since air is already restricted to this level.
https://www.newegg.com/anidees-ai-gp-cl/p/13K-00C8-00001
https://www.newegg.com/p/2T3-001K-00001
^Just a few samples.
If I open my window and make it cooler in my room, the gpu sensor drops down to 74 or 75C. So there’s nothing I can really do on windows to try to fix it?

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Free option. Run your case with the side panel removed.
I can try that, if I open my window next to my pc and my room gets cooler. The gpu sensor goes to 74 or 75C. It’s only fortnite that goes that high, every Other game isn’t that high. Is there another way it can get more airflow, or do something in settings?

If your case has mounts inside for extra fans, that would be an option, but generally OEM machines only have fan mounts for the number of fans that come with them.

I've had good results from removing the GPU heatsink, cleaning off the old thermal paste, and applying new thermal paste. Generally lowering temps 10C or more in situations like this. Not sure if you're up to that.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
If your case has mounts inside for extra fans, that would be an option, but generally OEM machines only have fan mounts for the number of fans that come with them.
So is there not much I can do? on My home screen, my cpu sensor is at 35C and my GPU sensor is at 51C. My GPU fan #1 is at 35% and my cpu fan is at 100 percent. Is that dangerous for the fan to be that high?

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Hello.

well you can limit your frame rate to lower your fps(same as the monitor refresh rate) and lower your GPU utilization which results in sightly lower temperature.

if you're OK with VSync or your monitor supports FreeSync/G-Sync then enable it otherwise go for alternative frame limiting. you can find the ways with doing a little search in google.

Good Luck.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello.

well you can limit your frame rate to lower your fps(same as the monitor refresh rate) and lower your GPU utilization which results in sightly lower temperature.

if you're OK with VSync or your monitor supports FreeSync/G-Sync then enable it otherwise go for alternative frame limiting. you can find the ways with doing a little search in google.

Good Luck.
So should I change some of my settings in Nvidia GeForce control panel? my monitor has g sync but I don’t know what that does, and what does the gpu utilization do?

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Well. utilization is simply the amount of work you are wanting from the gpu.
Lower Utilization=Lower Temperature
Higher Utilization=Higher temperature

And you should know that your monitor has a Maximum refresh rate(For example 60hz) and if your FPS goes higher than this number you are wasting the power of your system because your monitor can't show this high amount of frames per second.

So. what now?
Games invented an option called VSync(It's available in your game options) that limits the FPS to Your monitor refresh rate by adding a frame queue BEFORE the display of your monitor. and because of that an input lag will be created for example if you click ingame you will see the fire animation 88ms later.

Any other option?
Nvidia and AMD both tried to invent something that can Sync the fps with the monitor(Not limiting it) and at the same time doesn't making so much input lag. Nvidia named it G-Sync and AMD named it FreeSync(they're both kinda doing the same but not completely)

As you said your monitor supports G-Sync and your GPU is Nvidia. you have 4 options:

1.Disable VSync And FreeSync
use this for 100% using your GPU and have the smallest input lag (It Causes so much heat)

2.Enable VSync but disable FreeSync:
Use this one if you are OK with the tearing from the VSync

3.Disable VSync but enable FreeSync
Do this one if your FPS is not going higher than your monitor refresh rate

4.Enable both FreeSync and VSync
Limit and at the same time sync your fps with the monitor.

How to enable VSync in fortnite:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrYgtBsJMI

How to enable G-Sync: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-nvidia-g-sync

good Luck.

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi, I don't know if this helps, but I've been having similar problems with my system temps. Air con and overhead fan, side panel off, 5 case fans, Cryorig 5 cooler changed to Arctic E-sports cooler didn't make a change.
We'll the solution for me was to turn OC to non clocked. RAM, CPU and Vid card. Worked a treat. I can now run 2560*1440 at 144Hz without falling over. Games tested at this rate were PCBUILDER simulator, DOW3 and DOOM 2016.
This formula worked for me.
I think it's about having the confidence to know the compatibility of each peripheral might actually work more efficiently without being pushed.
Good luck with it.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Well. utilization is simply the amount of work you are wanting from the gpu.
Lower Utilization=Lower Temperature
Higher Utilization=Higher temperature

And you should know that your monitor has a Maximum refresh rate(For example 60hz) and if your FPS goes higher than this number you are wasting the power of your system because your monitor can't show this high amount of frames per second.

So. what now?
Games invented an option called VSync(It's available in your game options) that limits the FPS to Your monitor refresh rate by adding a frame queue BEFORE the display of your monitor. and because of that an input lag will be created for example if you click ingame you will see the fire animation 88ms later.

Any other option?
Nvidia and AMD both tried to invent something that can Sync the fps with the monitor(Not limiting it) and at the same time doesn't making so much input lag. Nvidia named it G-Sync and AMD named it FreeSync(they're both kinda doing the same but not completely)

As you said your monitor supports G-Sync and your GPU is Nvidia. you have 4 options:

1.Disable VSync And FreeSync
use this for 100% using your GPU and have the smallest input lag (It Causes so much heat)

2.Enable VSync but disable FreeSync:
Use this one if you are OK with the tearing from the VSync

3.Disable VSync but enable FreeSync
Do this one if your FPS is not going higher than your monitor refresh rate

4.Enable both FreeSync and VSync
Limit and at the same time sync your fps with the monitor.

How to enable VSync in fortnite:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrYgtBsJMI

How to enable G-Sync: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-nvidia-g-sync

good Luck.
I have a 144 hz monitor which display port, and my frames for fort are on 165 FPS. Should I just set them to 144 or turn on g sync in my settings?

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
I have a 144 hz monitor which display port, and my frames for fort are on 165 FPS. Should I just set them to 144 or turn on g sync in my settings?
Try activating both of VSync AND G-Sync. if you are ok with this.(i mean you like the smoothness of the game)
otherwise turn each one ON alone to see which option is more suitable for you.

TRENDING THREADS