Oct 9, 2019
Hi,
I think my new CPU, Motherboard or both are faulty, I would really appreciate some help from anyone who may be able to assist me with this matter.

I have recently purchased a new Motherboard "B450 Aorus Pro", a new Processor(APU) "AMD Ryzen 5 3400G" and some new RAM "Corsair Vengeance LPX"
the RAM is 2 x 8 GB modules with a clock speed of 2933 MHz.

I installed the CPU(APU) and the Fan.
I installed the RAM (also see note at the bottom of this post)
I connected the power leads, ATX 24 pin and the 2 x 4pin ATX 12v.
(My PSU is a "Cooler Master" RS-A00-AMBA-J3, 1000W)
I connected the power switch and speaker to the front panel header.

I also connected a monitor to the DVI port.

I then turned on the PSU, the Mobo flashes white in several areas, I presume this is to do with the RGB lighting system.

Then I powered on the Mobo.

When I power on the Mobo, the CPU fan turns on, the CPU LED turns on for about 0.5 seconds then the DRAM LED turns on for about 3.0 seconds,
then the CPU LED turns on for about 0.1 seconds.
The 3.0 second and the 0.1 second pattern then repeats until I power off the system.

The VGA and BOOT LED's do not turn on all all.
In the manual it says "if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the OS yet", does that mean that it doesn't even enter the POST either?

There is no video output either at this point, which makes some sense to me.

This also occurs without any RAM installed, and also with the RAM in every possible combination.

I have re-socketed the CPU several times.
I have made sure that none of the CPU pins are bent.
The CPU has a thin layer of Thermal Paste on it, evenly distributed.
As stated above, I have tried every combination of RAM in the 4 slots.
I have taken the whole thing apart and reassembled it several times.
I made sure that I grounded myself each time before I touched anything.

Without RAM should the POST still run? I know without RAM I will get no video output but should the speaker still indicate that it is running?

I have tried to be as clear as possible with this all, but the chances are that I have not explained something as succinctly as I have hoped,
so I am happy to answer any questions regarding this all.

The main question I have is, have I done something stupid? or is it possible that the CPU(APU) is faulty? or is the Motherboard faulty?
Or maybe it is a combination of all three, my money is on my stupidity lol.

Note :
I am aware (now) that the RAM isn't on the list of supported memory modules, an oversight on my part.
Is there a possibility that this will change in the near future? or do I need to buy some more compatible memory?
(not really sure how this works, I would guess that would be a BIOS update thing, and without the compatible RAM in the first place I cannot update the BIOS)

Thank you all in advance.

Solution
The mb BIOS should certainly start up without OS from any storage drive.
But it will not startup without ram inserted or if the ram does not function.

If the ram type you have purchased is not on the mb or cpu certified list, I'm pretty sure you will have to start looking for your problem here.

Most rams are universal types, i.e. they will work in most mb's with most cpu's.
Except...
mb's and cpu's with special ram requirements.
Its not only the ram type, connector layout, the voltage etc, but also the timing on the ram, that is critical.

Thats why manufacturers make up lists of certified hardware.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
The mb BIOS should certainly start up without OS from any storage drive.
But it will not startup without ram inserted or if the ram does not function.

If the ram type you have purchased is not on the mb or cpu certified list, I'm pretty sure you will have to start looking for your problem here.

Most rams are universal types, i.e. they will work in most mb's with most cpu's.
Except...
mb's and cpu's with special ram requirements.
Its not only the ram type, connector layout, the voltage etc, but also the timing on the ram, that is critical.

Thats why manufacturers make up lists of certified hardware.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 9, 2019
Thank you for your response,

I understand that I don't need a SSD/HDD etc with the OS installed on it in order for access to the BIOS.

I am more concerned about the LED signals on the board, specifically the CPU one, as it lights up I am presuming that there is a fault with the CPU, or do you think that the CPU LED signal issue is there because of the RAM issue?

I think I am having a bit of a Chicken and Egg situation here, if that makes sense.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
IMHO you have a ram problem only.
Start by your friends if they have some spare (even lower spec) DDR4 rams that fits the certified list.
You only need a single ram block for testing, leaving other sockets empty.
That should help you getting the BIOS monitor up on the screen first off.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Calvin7 : That really looks like the infameous chicken and egg problem :unsure:
Is there any hints to be found on Gigabyte's website on this issue ?
Even in a sticker here on forum (or any other forum)?

Its one thing finding a cheapie ram block, but finding yet another CPU is pushing the project to the edge IMHO.

Oct 9, 2019
Thank you Calvin7,

Looks like my cheap build is getting more expensive by the minute lol.

Would it be possible for you to suggest a super cheap CPU that would enable me to so this for a minimal cost?

Cool if not, I am just trying to avoid buying the wrong thing again.

Might have to buy a new cheap graphics card too by the looks of it unless one of my super old ones will allow me to do this.