old pc gamer

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Hello ! I am sorry if I haven t posted in the right category !
A few days ago i have got a Lenovo ThinkStation for really cheap (around 130 euro )
Specs :
Cpu : E5-2690v3
Ram: 64 gb ddr4 ecc (in dual channel but i will plan a future upgrade )
Psu:490w gold oem

It was cheap because it came without hdd/ssd and without gpu
The system is great , i paired with an rog strix rtx 2070 super ( because of my low psu , i use a standard psu just for the gpu,with paperclip method, until i can get the 650w Oem psu but works in load even with oem 490w one )

Now i wanted to modify the workstation a bit and I removed the Dvd rom enclosure (I love how modular it is ) and I installed a Aio 120mm radiator cooler (Dual 120mm fan , one for pushing the air and the other for sucking the air . I ziptied it and it s ok

Now to the problem part . First i tried to ziptie the cooler in tha back of the system but I had to remove the back fans which result in Fan 1 and Fan 2 error , so i tried to remove the pump and ziptie it in the front of the pc where the dvd unit used to be .

I mounted the pump and then the system refused to boot . I was thinking that I touched the ram maybe , or the gpu but after i searched the internet i see that the pump was too tight . i released the pressure of the screws and the system boots .

Now , before Installing the pump and having that problem , I am using usb headset . The sound was perfect , no issue . but after that problem with the pump , When I plug my usb headset in ANY usb port of the workstation , the sound was cutting every 5 seconds , small popping sound . I was thinking that my headset went bad out of the blue and I tried it on my gaming laptop ( No issues with them ) . Then i was thinking that maybe the audio driver went bad and I reinstalled it . Same result . I installed Windows 11 ( before i was on 10) , and to my surprise , just a tiny improvement , the audio dosen t cut out anymore but it makes a pop sound .

My mouse ( corsair dark core rgb) when it is plugged in Front USB , after a few seconds the cursor freezes . But on back usb of the motherboard works perfect . Headset dosen t work in any usb as it should , internal speaker makes the same popping sound , audio jack headset makes the same popping sound . Now while thinking i remember that my gpu has a usb c on it , and with a usb C to Usb A adapter , i plugged my headset and Surprise , the sound is excelent . No more pop , crackling or any other sound stutter . Used latencymon and all was good (while usb headset was used in front or motherboard usb)

Now , I am sorry for making this thread so long , but i had to give all the details , what happened ? Overtighting the cpu pump made this ? Is there any way I can do something to fix this ? I am asking because I use the workstation as a main computer ( weaker than my legion 5 slim ) and I like the system a lot .
Thank you for the time u took to read this . Any Ideea is welcome !
P.S: Looking in device manager i found some missing drivers , i installed them all and now i am back with usb like in windows 10 : the audio cuts when plugged in front or back usb

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since CPU uses LGA, you may have bent/broken pins in CPU socket. Caused by this:
the pump was too tight . i released the pressure of the screws and the system boots .
Because that was the instance, from where the audio issues began.

At 1st, you over-tightened the CPU cooler, where system didn't even post. After some loosening, it now POSTs, but has audio issue.

So, tear it apart, take the CPU out and go over all 2011 pins inside the socket with magnifying glass, to see if any of them are bent out of shape.
If any are broken, you're looking towards new MoBo or you can just live with your mistake. That's what i call a life's tax.

Reactions: old pc gamer

old pc gamer

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Thank you very much ! I will take it apart someday , and I will look at the pins , for now the system is stable , just those problems ! If there is anyone who wants to give me a diferent ideea is more than welcome ! For now i will wait until I feel like taking the cpu down !

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If there is anyone who wants to give me a diferent ideea is more than welcome !
Well, there really isn't much else to suggest, since issues began when you over-tightened the CPU cooler. Unless you did something else as well (e.g knocked audio capacitor loose on MoBo), where what i suggested, is pretty much the only thing to look for.

old pc gamer

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Well, there really isn't much else to suggest, since issues began when you over-tightened the CPU cooler. Unless you did something else as well (e.g knocked audio capacitor loose on MoBo), where what i suggested, is pretty much the only thing to look for.
not really , i was carefull when mounting the cooler , never knocked a capacitor while mounting a cooler , it s my first time when i had this kind of issue , that why I asked here . Have a great day !